PDA

View Full Version : USB wifi?

themarker0
March 15th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Can anyone confirm USB wifi now works on linux? In canada there are three. Bell Telus and Rogers so far. Can anyone tell me if they work on linux?

Psumi
March 15th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Mobile broadband Internet (IE: 3G Networking provided by USB Mobile Broadband adapters)... is not a good idea for linux use to be honest.

Normal Wifi Internet (IE: through a wireless router) is a better choice.

Might want to check this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported).

Rainstride
March 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Mobile broadband Internet (IE: 3G Networking provided by USB Mobile Broadband adapters)... is not a good idea for linux use to be honest.

Normal Wifi Internet (IE: through a wireless router) is a better choice.

Might want to check this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported).

I'm using mobile broadband right now (sprint) and it works perfectly.I'm on 9.10.

themarker0
March 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I want something for traveling. Normal Wifi doesn't work that far...

Psumi
March 15th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I'm using mobile broadband right now (sprint) and it works perfectly.I'm on 9.10.

And if you have to install it on a linux machine without Windows to first setup the dongle?

Plumtreed
March 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
There are a lot of negative comments here but they may apply where you are.

I use 9.10 and a Huawei 169g and it connects simply and 'out-of-the-box'. I am presently in the UK and it works well. It also works in Australia. Any difficulties arise out of location and 'traffic'.

I haven't found any need to refer to Windows.

By the way, you can connect to 'normal' WIFI here, in the UK, but the providers do charge like wounded bulls!

Khakilang
March 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I use an Aztech Wifi adapter and able to surf on most of the Wifi area locally. If you talk about broadband than we have several service provider that offer their services but you have to install a some sort of a dialer.

Rainstride
March 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
And if you have to install it on a linux machine without Windows to first setup the dongle?

I use only ubuntu, it was fine. you just plug it in and go.

crlang13
March 15th, 2010, 09:59 AM
it depends on the modem. I've heard both good and bad things depending on the type of modem.

anaconda
March 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
it depends on the modem. I've heard both good and bad things depending on the type of modem.

Exactly!

It is a good idea to select a usb.modem, which you know works with ubuntu.

actually most of them can be made to work, but why not choose an older model, which will work without any hassle..

crlang13
March 15th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Exactly!

It is a good idea to select a usb.modem, which you know works with ubuntu.

actually most of them can be made to work, but why not choose an older model, which will work without any hassle..

Yeah, and adding to all of that, the major problem I've read about with some USB modems is that some of them double as a storage device. Ubuntu tends not to like this and wants it to be a storage device only rather than a modem. The storage device/modems can be configured but it's a pain. You'll have the most luck with a modem that is only a modem.

MasterNetra
March 15th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I want something for traveling. Normal Wifi doesn't work that far...

In otherwords you want one of those USB Wifi's that connect straight to a cell tower or satellite? Also you do know those types require a subscription, usually around $20 a month I think.

Kai69
March 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah, and adding to all of that, the major problem I've read about with some USB modems is that some of them double as a storage device. Ubuntu tends not to like this and wants it to be a storage device only rather than a modem. The storage device/modems can be configured but it's a pain. You'll have the most luck with a modem that is only a modem.

I have a ZTE which does that all I do is wait until the mobile broardband logo is on the desktop,Right click mouse Eject. The dongle will then switch off and restart, In network manager just set your provider and it should work.
Huwei dongles seem to work straight away as soon as the dongle is inserted network manager detects it
Hope this helps..

themarker0
March 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM
In otherwords you want one of those USB Wifi's that connect straight to a cell tower or satellite? Also you do know those types require a subscription, usually around $20 a month I think.

I know that. I have one from work that works on windows, but not on linux.