PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dirt cheap CPU Upgrade, but is it worth it?

rleggett
March 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Running an old dell dimension 8200 P4 2.0GHz, 400MHz bus (Northwood) with 1024mb ram as a media server in my basement (on Karmic). I came across a local computer salvage shop that is selling 2.8GHz, 400 MHz fsb CPUs, Northwood, same socket and everything for $18. This seems like a steal of a deal to me for a .8GHz increase (over 70%!). I inquired about the CPU and the nice owner said that he didn't think I would see much of performance increase because hyper-threading wasn't featured in these chips yet.
So, my question is do you guys think it's worth my time? I realize $18 is nothing compared to the price of CPUs today, but will the performance increases be worth the effort? I'm inclined to believe I'd see SOME kind of improvement but thought I would open it up to the group. If it makes any difference I'm going to be turning this into a full out myth backend pretty soon and I believe that's going to be much more intensive (video recording, compression, etc) than it's current use. Thanks all!

Hmmm-Izee
March 15th, 2010, 02:30 AM
IMO if you like your set-up as it is then I'd go for the upgrade. You stand to gain a noticeable performance boost AND get to keep your set-up like it is.