PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Degree

katie-xx
March 15th, 2010, 12:25 AM
This is a fantastic degree program being offered by Aberystwyth Uni.
Open source has really travelled a long way for a well regarded uni to be offering this levell of education.
http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/courses/compsci/open-source-computing/

Kate

richs-lxh
March 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Is it free? :D

Maybe you can download all the material as a .pdf under the Creative Commons license ;)

I did notice this however, not "exactly" 100% Open Source:

The Open Source Computing degree will give you a firm foundation in computing skills, including:

Software design and Java programming
Web programming
Unix and Windows
Database Management Systems
Professional issues in software engineering

Still, at least they are introducing new students to alternatives to only proprietary software.

fatality_uk
March 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM
C++ programming for open source projects!! It differs how? Seems a bit of a bandwagon to jump on this. Seen s few other degrees etc in OpenSource

katie-xx
March 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Seems a bit of a bandwagon to jump on this.

Aberystwyth are very well regarded so unlikely to be bandwagon jumping.

Kate

JDShu
March 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
C++ programming for open source projects!! It differs how? Seems a bit of a bandwagon to jump on this. Seen s few other degrees etc in OpenSource

Its probably emphasis on open source collaboration (version control software, standards, etc.) which I understand is a but different from what people might do within companies. I'm sure its easy to make it different than a regular CS degree.

That said, I think a regular CS degree is enough for everybody - if you want to go into open source development you can do that. On the other hand with an Open Source Degree, it seems dangerous because your options are more limited after graduation. i.e. at best its equivalent to a CS degree, at worst it you spend all this time and money and are unable to get a job in a smaller market.

cprofitt
March 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
RIT has an open source component of their CS degree now and will be hosting POSSE this year.

The US Department of Education has embrace 'open' in their NETP 2010 that was published on March 5th.