PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disable framebuffer from Grub Meno or Launch ubuntu comand line

popolvar
March 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hello all,

let us start with the problem. After making and update my Karmic Koala and trying to set up lamp through tasksell, i have rebooted my notebook. Then the ubuntu logo was displayied and i get an

"Ubuntu is eunnung in low graphics mode"
(EE) open /dev/fe0: No such file or dierctory

i have done some googling and figured that it has most likely to do with ubuntu tryin to using frame buffer wrongly. I have tried to follow some advices posted at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FrameBuffer#Setting%20different%20framebuffer%20re solutions%20in%20GRUB

like this

"vga=normal", or "nofb", disables the framebuffer
if "nofb" does not help, try "nomodeset" to disable kernel mode setting
"vga=ask" will able you to set a value at each boot good for testing out the various modes.

non of them worked. Than i thought i run grub2 (in fact it is 1.97~beta4), so i tried to run this

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/adjust_grub2_framebuffer

to set at least the right resolution to the frame buffer. However i put there a wrong resolution (my mistake obviously). The problem is that now all the screen turns black (after i select the system in Grub menu) and i can't see the command line, so i am helpless.

So now i get to GRUB menu, i can edit the line by hitting 'e' and i get

recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
set quiet=1insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c763a81d-d00b-4880-9111-9c305affc67b
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic root=UUID=c763a81d-d00b-4880-9111-9c305affc67b ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic

so this is right now everything i can edit, and i would need either to set/remove the framebuffer or get back the commandline somehow so i can do the trick through /etc/default/grub.

Any ideas? Pleas hope i am quite desperate

i have tried to put into the kernel/linux line

'nomodeset'
'nofb'
'i915.modeset=0' at various places
remove 'quiet'
put the 'nosplash' 'nomodeset'
put there 'single'

use Ctrl-Alt_F1 and Ctrl-Alt-Esc to get the console (However i run vista as a dual boot so i have pressed the key after selecting the system)
recovery more also yields a black screen

Nothing has worked so far.

Pleassse help

popolvar

popolvar
March 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM
ok i was able to fix the problem with the wrong resolution, that is i can use console again

i have booted from life CD, and followed the instructions from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

$ sudo fdisk -l

Now, you need to remember which device listed is your linux distribution, for reference, /dev/sda1 will be used. Now we need to mount the filesystem to /mnt

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

If you have /boot on a separate partition, that need's to be mounted aswell. For reference, /dev/sda2 will be used.

$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot Make sure you don't mix these up, pay attention to the output of FDISK

Now mount the rest of your devices

$ sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

Now chroot into your system

$ sudo chroot /mnt
You should be chroot'd into your system as root, you can now run commands as root, without the need for sudo.

Now you need to edit the /etc/default/grub file to fit your system

$ nano /etc/default/grub

When that is done you need to run update-grub to create the configuration file.

$ update-grub

To install GRUB 2 to the MBR, next you need to run grub-install /dev/sda

$ sudo umount /mnt/dev

Now you can unmount the root system. (But if you have a separate boot partition which you mounted earlier, you have to unmount this first, or you will get a "device busy" error message.)

$ sudo umount /mnt

And you should be free to restart your system right into GRUB 2 and then into your system installation.

If you had alternate OS entries, update-grub might say "Cannot find list of partitions!". Ignore it and continue - once you can boot into your linux installation, do so and then rerun update-grub and grub-install /dev/sda as root.

i still have the low graphics problem with missing /dev/fb0 but i will post it separately.