PDA

View Full Version : usb safe removal

AbyssRock
March 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
hi, was wondering if there's a way to safely disconnect a usb device from computer, I ask this because in windows when you disconnect a usb pen with the safe removal, the pen light then turns off, while I tried removing the pen with ubuntu and the light was still on ?

ssam
March 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
either right-click on the usb disk on you desktop, or in the side bar in the file browser. (you might see options 'unmount', 'eject', 'safely remove', they will all make the usb drive safe to remove)

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
either right-click on the usb disk on you desktop, or in the side bar in the file browser. (you might see options 'unmount', 'eject', 'safely remove', they will all make the usb drive safe to remove)

Only one of them, though, will make the USB Drive shut off its light (if it has one.)

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM
If you want to do it the hard way (works on all distros):
Have root's password
Make sure your in the wheel group

su -c "umount /media/disk"

madjr
March 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
hi, was wondering if there's a way to safely disconnect a usb device from computer, I ask this because in windows when you disconnect a usb pen with the safe removal, the pen light then turns off, while I tried removing the pen with ubuntu and the light was still on ?

hey

when you unmount then its safe to remove even if the light is on (its just a light)

i got 3 pendrives with lights and have been unmounting them for years without problems

unmount = safe

koenn
March 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
If you want to do it the hard way (works on all distros):
Have root's password
Make sure your in the wheel group

su -c "umount /media/disk"

we have a wheel group now ?

chriswyatt
March 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Here's a program you might find useful, it adds an icon to your notification area to let you safely eject media, similar to the Windows one, except it's faster and better :D

http://launchpad.net/ejecter

I'm quite lazy and only tend to safely remove drives when I've just been using them, it does some delayed writing after something's been written to the disk I think.