PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wanting to switch back from opensuse, but have an issue with pc

noremacyug
March 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM
i would like to go back to ubuntu and get it running on all my computers, but it has an issue with one of my computers. when trying to install on this pc http://www.trigem.com/us/product/product_overview.asp?category=1&seq=84&tabgbn=spec i can run the live disc fine and complete the install process fine. but after the reboot and the first boot of the freshly installed os, it throws up all kinds of errors and never boots. from what i gather it's due to my gpu in the computer which is an intel 945gms. this is the only reason i'm running opensuse right now, cause suse simply works. is there a fix for me so i can switch back and try out the new 9.10?

thanks
guy

kellemes
March 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
(..) it throws up all kinds of errors and never boots.

Can you post the errors please?

noremacyug
March 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM

i don't recall what the errors were and ubuntu has long since been removed from that computer due to them. i have opensuse installed on it now.

noremacyug
March 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM

ok, i have ubuntu 9.10 reinstalled on the computer. to do so i had to use the vesa driver. my max res with this driver is 1024 x 768 which is no where near the max res of my monitor.

does anyone have an idea how i can fix this? if not, i guess i'll reinstall opensuse 11.2 back on here as it works perfectly in terms of gfx performance.

kellemes
March 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Have you updated the system and rebooted? This is essential.

noremacyug
March 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
first thing i did. nada

kellemes
March 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Running Kubuntu myself so it's all different for me..

I understand you have tried installing a driver through "System->Administration->Hardware Drivers" but this gave you trouble?

noremacyug
March 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Running Kubuntu myself so it's all different for me..

I understand you have tried installing a driver through "System->Administration->Hardware Drivers" but this gave you trouble?

No, I never tried that. What driver would I even use?