PDA

View Full Version : Free beer?

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I was just thinking that I would pay $300+ dollars for Ubuntu "Ultimate" if beer was free... as in free beer.....

.nedberg
March 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I would pay, yes, but not $300! And not every 6 months when there is a new version. Perhaps every LTS...

And you can "pay for Ubuntu" right now. Buy some support from Canonical!

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
And you can "pay for Ubuntu" right now. Buy some support from Canonical!

I've purchased a hat and a couple baby t-shirts in the past year. I might well pay for support if I don't figure out my audio input soon!

$300 for 6 months of free beer sounds fine to me!

.nedberg
March 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I don't drink much...

RabbitWho
March 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Where I live 1 beer = 1 euro, so no. And anyway i don't like beer, I'd much rather go on a picnic, but beer is how people socialize in our topsy turvey world.

MooPi
March 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, Thread Closed for silliness as why would you suggest paying for Ubuntu. OOps not a mod. Please continue..:twisted:

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, Thread Closed for silliness as why would you suggest paying for Ubuntu. OOps not a mod. Please continue..:twisted:

Not suggesting anything...

I also think this thread is far from the silliest thread I've seen in these forums....

madnessjack
March 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I love ubuntu

But I REALLY love beer :)

sisco311
March 14th, 2010, 02:18 PM
+1 for the free beer...

dbceee
March 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I just started with Ubuntu and have the same q - when u figure out how to get the audio to work, pls. zap me the answer!

Post Monkeh
March 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
i'd pay $300 every 6 months if all my beer would be free. i'd save a fortune.

clanky
March 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
If beer was free I would be to drunk to care about Ubuntu.

MasterNetra
March 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Where's the "No, I prefer both Ubuntu and my Beer free." option?

..And heck no I would not pay $300 for Ubuntu! Windows 7 is cheaper for crying out load. Ultimate a little more then $80 cheaper then that and Home version about $180 cheaper.

Post Monkeh
March 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Where's the "No, I prefer both Ubuntu and my Beer free." option?

..And heck no I would not pay $300 for Ubuntu! Windows 7 is cheaper for crying out load. Ultimate a little more then $80 cheaper then that and Home version about $180 cheaper.

but dude, it's free beer?

MasterNetra
March 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
but dude, it's free beer?

But dude if you so badly want free beer you can brew it. Which would be more easier then creating your own Distro like Ubuntu.

chucky chuckaluck
March 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'd go with a rolling release distro so i'd only have to pay once (although, that could mean i'd get stuck with rolling rock).

RiceMonster
March 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM
If beer was free I would be to drunk to care about Ubuntu.

I have to agree.

jrusso2
March 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If I would pay for Ubuntu my expectations for it would be much higher. At this point I don't feel its special enough to pay for.

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
If I would pay for Ubuntu my expectations for it would be much higher. At this point I don't feel its special enough to pay for.

I would pay for dirt and rocks if it meant free beer....

RiceMonster
March 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I would pay for dirt and rocks if it meant free beer....

But what if you had to pay more for the dirt and rocks than the beer would cost?

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
But what if you had to pay more for the dirt and rocks than the beer would cost?

Fair enough.. but in the original post I had said $300. Someone else had posted that they wouldn't pay $300. Guess I just assumed that we were talking about $300.

Using that amount there is no question I would take the free beer.

I'd share with you though don't worry...

Doctor Mike
March 14th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Beer, even cheap beer costs over time. Give Ubuntu 300 CAN. Beer 1 Year 1000-1500 if your Canadian, and up 3000 if you watch/play hockey.

derekeverett
March 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Beer, even cheap beer costs over time. Give Ubuntu 300 CAN. Beer 1 Year 1000-1500 if your Canadian, and up 3000 if you watch/play hockey.

Ah, finally, some refreshing logic!

sudoer541
March 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Lets not overdo it with the free beer thingy. Unless you want to attract alcoholics.

Must be 19 or older. Please drink responsibly.

richs-lxh
March 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'd pay for Ubuntu if Canonical used the money to form a team of graphic hardware experts to develop an Xserver system and chuck Xorg in the bin where it belongs.

I'd also expect a developer consistency contract which states:

"Everything that worked on the last release [hardware] will work on this release and the next release after that, after all, you all gave up your free time to test and send in bug reports and help fix it, so we will track these working packages and keep them pinned so that the distro base is consistent".
That way, your 3 year-old monitor/graphics card/mouse/keyboard/webcam/touchpad etc will always work. I never did understand messing with a driver that always worked perfectly before, nor do I understand messing with hardware detection or the ability to edit your hardware list with a tried and tested working method (xorg.conf, evdev, udev, hal)

I was also going to talk about a certain shade of brown, but that's been fixed :)

freebeer
March 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Why are my ears burning? :p

derekeverett
March 15th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Why are my ears burning? :p

lol That's awesome. Your my hero for the next few moments..

mamamia88
March 15th, 2010, 05:06 AM
how much free beer?

derekeverett
March 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
how much free beer?

Beer would be free. Period.

santq
March 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I could support Ubuntu with donation or buying some Ubuntu junk, but only if the payment wasn't mandatory. Currently there is no fund raising atmosphere or any information about the subject on the web page so I haven't given anything.

It might be also fun to combine brainstorm with monetary aspects, everybody could donate some money towards a suggestion they like and freelance developers could pick up the suggestion and program it to pick up the reward.

Doctor Mike
March 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hope I'm not too far off topic, but... Beer branded with the name Ubuntu. Part of the profit would be donated to Ubuntu for development...

Here's the real question: Would the beer be sweet, lite (light) and playful, or would it be dark, bitter and full of character?

Sounds like Ubuntu could be compared to beer, but don't know how to craft a beer that is both dark and lite (light), playful and bitter, full of character and characterless...](*,)

sisco311
March 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
<-------

Doctor Mike
March 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Pale Lager<-------Ubuntu has that kind of look at first glance, but the more I look at it (use it), the more it resembles Upper Canada Dark Ale. Made with only four ingredients, sugar is not one of them. Most people find the Ale bitter and hard, but those who love it like me find it sweet as mother's milk.

Doctor Mike
March 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
OK, I don't want to be accused of killing this thread. I'm sure there are volumes to be said about paying for Ubuntu in exchange for free beer, even though the stats at the top don't seem encouraging. The beer drinkers are most likely just off on a bender and, thus, not yet aware of this socially important and vital thread. Please put your beer down for a moment while I go get one. Thankx for your support in this matter.

Ok, I've nearly finished my beer, what' the hold up. Do I need to go get another one?
I did. I am Starting number three. You wouldn't leave me to get drunk in the afternoon? Would you? That's enough, I'm too old for this, Just opened the fourth beer, Time to make dinner, cutting my own rib steaks... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMM

You should see the fat on the edge of these steaks... wow!
OK, just beat me up, it would be better than being resposible for killing souch a sociallably reponsible poast mans. otay begone and by osaytrecsxhb. Burp. It wantsbbsnm me.

freebeer
March 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Made with only four ingredients, sugar is not one of them.

:shock: Then there would be no alcohol. Sugar + yeast yields CO2 and alcohol.

(The malted barley is what provides the sugar.)

lisati
March 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I don't drink beer regularly these days..... :(

undecim
March 18th, 2010, 02:21 AM
No, dear god no!

There are too many people in this world that don't need access to free beer.

derekeverett
March 18th, 2010, 02:22 AM
The yeast eats up the natural sugars though doesn't it? I mean it's not like extra sugar is added I don't think.

d3v1150m471c
March 18th, 2010, 02:33 AM
only if the beer was unlimited in which case i would sell it in bulk for dirt cheap.

freebeer
March 18th, 2010, 03:32 AM
The yeast eats up the natural sugars though doesn't it? I mean it's not like extra sugar is added I don't think.

Correct. But to say that "sugar is not one [of the ingrediants]" would be wrong. One needs sugar for the yeasties to thrive and do their thing.

Doctor Mike
March 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
:shock: Then there would be no alcohol. Sugar + yeast yields CO2 and alcohol.

(The malted barley is what provides the sugar.)Naturally occurring sugar, no added sugar. That's what the makers say. Many beers have tons of sugar added. It would not be correct to call naturally occurring sugar an ingredient unless some concentrate is used to bring up the brix count. Sugar is in just about everything (naturally). Many processed foods use concentrated fruit juice to bring up the brix level while claiming no sugar added. I used to make baby food, so trust me when I say taste it first before you give it to your kid. Oh, brix is just a test for sugar level.

Doctor Mike
March 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM
OMG, I've killed it again. It's like what they did to Oliver Cromwell, or that poor dead horse. Please someone give this post life or I will have to have a beer. I will only read it thereafter no matter how tempting the post.

I have opened the beer. U C Canada Dark Ale. Have no rib steaks today, but yesterdays were from heaven. Was going to make home made lasagna, but wife will be late (having an eight dog day). Will make quick and tastey goop when she comes home.

Beer is calling to me... Save me... Oh, hell I like the stuff anyway. Goop is one of the easiest, fastest tastiest meals you can make, but I will only share with someone who posts and not here because I will not kill this again.

derekeverett
March 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
OMG, I've killed it again. It's like what they did to Oliver Cromwell, or that poor dead horse. Please someone give this post life or I will have to have a beer. I will only read it thereafter no matter how tempting the post.

It's difficult for me to return to this thread. The poll has disappointed me in this community!