PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kubuntu vs ubuntu

tsuujin
March 14th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Ok, so this is a total ubuntu noob question, but what's the difference between ubuntu and kubuntu. At first glance I thought that kubuntu was simply ubuntu installed with kde instead of gnome, but then I noticed that they seem to have completely different version numbers and so forth... which makes me think that kubuntu is a fork?

What's the deal? I want a KDE desktop, but I don't want to just run an ubuntu fork. What's the difference between just using kde on ubuntu and using kubuntu?

kellemes
March 14th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Google: "Kubuntu vs ubuntu"

tsuujin
March 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM
.... I was hoping for something a bit more insightful...

Although, I just installed Kubuntu to try and resolve an issue, anyways, so I suppose it's a moot point.

Allwynd
March 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
The obvious difference is simple - Ubuntu is the original and using Gnome, while Kubuntu, which stands for KDE Ubuntu or something like that, its Ubuntu for the KDE fans. And as Gnome and KDE have their own applications, the experience of each is different. I've tried the three of them - Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, the three of them are good, but i prefer Ubuntu, because i find Gnome more customizable, while KDE 4.x is looking the same to me - with 10.04 Ubuntu will dramatically change the look and its visible even for a person that hasn't used Linux before, while KDE 4.2 is almost the same as the new KDE 4.4, or in my point of view. ^_^
no offence, KDE folks, i respect you too!!!

kellemes
March 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
.... I was hoping for something a bit more insightful...

The thing is that your question is asked and answered a thousand times before, especially in this forum but also in others.
Really, a search in this forum or Google brings you a lot of threads ready for you to jump in to..

Tikkyca
March 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Well i more like Ubuntu.