PDA

View Full Version : who else here is waiting for reactos 0.4.0

EnGorDiaz
March 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

making windows free

with 0.4.0 there are going to be drastic changes in ui and some talk of an update manager

i wish they would make hardware drivers abit more accessible though -.-

madjr
March 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
its a great win-win project, helps make wine better and wine makes it better

not really sure who really uses it on a daily basis on these forums, but the upcoming changes look nice

juancarlospaco
March 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
omg making windows?, not again, not twice!

tjwoosta
March 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
omg making windows?, not again, not twice!

lolwut

V for Vincent
March 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'd like to see where it goes, but I'm not really that interested. They'll probably never get out of beta, if they ever even get out of alpha. And if they did, I'd only see it as a way to use hardware that isn't supported on Linux.

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I'm just glad they got ACPI working, though not complete.

EnGorDiaz
March 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
id like to see a number of versions for different processor chips other than intel/amd

mcduck
March 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM
id like to see a number of versions for different processor chips other than intel/amd

Might be a bit hard, since it's not an hardware emulator, so they have the same limitations Wine has. Trying to make an OS/program that would run windows binaries on another architecture would require the OS/program to emulate x86 architecture and that would make things rather slow...

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Might be a bit hard, since it's not an hardware emulator, so they have the same limitations Wine has. Trying to make an OS/program that would run windows binaries on another architecture would require the OS/program to emulate x86 architecture and that would make things rather slow...

Unlike WINE though, ReactOS plans to be hardware compatible with windows devices. Similarly, they have a roadmap goal of having ReactOS Drivers work in Windows.

ReactOS plans to have different "ports" to other archs just like Ubuntu, and includes ARM, PowerPC, x64, etc.

Simon17
March 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
You're going to be waiting for a long time.

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
You're going to be waiting for a long time.

How long is long for you?

ReactOS recent development has shown that the project can advance leaps and bounds at times.

Please get out of the topic if you have nothing constructive to add.

Simon17
March 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Several years. By the time ROS becomes useful in any way, it'll be long obsolete. As much as I would like to see React OS succeed, I don't believe it will ever be anything more than a toy.

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Several years. By the time ROS becomes useful in any way, it'll be long obsolete. As much as I would like to see React OS succeed, I don't believe it will ever be anything more than a toy.

I just hope you're one of the people who don't care about visual appearance. Because I don't mind if ReactOS looks like Windows2000/98/95. In fact, I implore them to keep that design.

When I get my new laptop in several months to a year or two, I won't be using compiz even though I know full well I can. Why should I waste valuable processing power on eyecandy when I could be using it for gaming or something.

murderslastcrow
March 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It's the realistic usefulness of it. Sure, its newfound capabilities are meaningful, but not to the extent that it'll be useful as more than a development tool.

I'd like to think that some day it may serve a use, and it's really well done for how far they've come in compatibility. It'd definitely be a great XP replacement if it had the hardware right and supported applications are what you need.

However, speed and lightness isn't everything, and Linux with Wine tends to be fast enough for most people. But, again, I have nothing wrong with people devoting their efforts to something interesting like an NT clone.

Simon17 is just trying to be realistic. As he said, he would love to see it succeed, so it's not like he's against the ideas presented.

I'm kind of excited if it ends up being a good virtual OS to run Direct X games on or something. XD

Simon17
March 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I do care about "visual appearance" and I do use the Windows classic theme and I don't use compiz.

What's your point?

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I agree with the virtual machine bit. I have one game I would like to play to kill some time, and it needs hardware compatibility since it has a hack guard. It closes after 10 minutes due to a bug that decides virtual xp is a hack. On wine it does not get off the ground. I think I will try the current reactos right now and see how the game runs.

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I do care about "visual appearance" and I do use the Windows classic theme and I don't use compiz.

What's your point?

A LOT of people hate the "classic" theme however.

I agree with the virtual machine bit. I have one game I would like to play to kill some time, and it needs hardware compatibility since it has a hack guard. It closes after 10 minutes due to a bug that decides virtual xp is a hack. On wine it does not get off the ground. I think I will try the current reactos right now and see how the game runs.

Get the trunk build; 0.3.x is always outdated the minute it comes out.

http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds

mcduck
March 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Unlike WINE though, ReactOS plans to be hardware compatible with windows devices. Similarly, they have a roadmap goal of having ReactOS Drivers work in Windows.

ReactOS plans to have different "ports" to other archs just like Ubuntu, and includes ARM, PowerPC, x64, etc.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean with a "windows device" :D

If you mean it will be able to run windows drivers then that has nothing to do with being able to run windows software on different architectures.

And the part about porting ReactOS to run on architectures like ARM etc. is exactly what I meant when I said that it's going to require hardware emulation (since all window software is programmed & compiled for x86 hardware) and that's going to be really slow.

Kazade
March 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
its a great win-win project, helps make wine better and wine makes it better

Not totally true. I don't think Wine accepts code from ReactOS due to the previous accused copyright infringement and resulting code audit in ReactOS (my knowledge of this is flaky but that's how I understand it).

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I am not sure if they resolved that or not. I would think so, though.

ctrlmd
March 14th, 2010, 09:51 AM
why would i wait for it i have windows ?

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM
That is essentially what most feel like. I have little use for Windows or any of it's clones. It me, ReactOS is a toy, but I will not belittle the project. They are free to do as they please.

Meep3D
March 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I just hope you're one of the people who don't care about visual appearance. Because I don't mind if ReactOS looks like Windows2000/98/95. In fact, I implore them to keep that design.

When I get my new laptop in several months to a year or two, I won't be using compiz even though I know full well I can. Why should I waste valuable processing power on eyecandy when I could be using it for gaming or something.

Yeah, why use the inbuilt dedicated graphics co-processor when you can shift graphics onto the main CPU and system ram to ... erm what was your point again?

The only reason Microsoft hasn't lawyered the crap out of the ReactOS people is it's so below the radar in terms of progress. I don't want to belittle the work people do for free, but seriously folks, get a little originality. How about coming up with something new for a change?

Linux is a warts-and-all copy of Unix*, rather than a 'keep the good, throw out the bad' approach. ReactOS seems to be a warts-and-all copy of Windows (And it has to be to maintain compatibility). Considering I can put down what is really a negligible amount of money for the 'real thing' what is the point apart from an academic exercise? If you are talking about going 'Full Stallman' then just use Linux as even if they do pull it off you're still going to have the ideological issues of non-free drivers and software.

The whole thing seems rooted in late 90's 'stick it to the man' Microsoft hatred - it's time to let go.

* I seriously doubt that the OS was perfected in the 70's and if you think so you simply lack imagination.

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't want to belittle the work people do for free

Might want to check the CFI page (http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Community_Funded_Ideas).

Meep3D
March 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Might want to check the CFI page (http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Community_Funded_Ideas).

Why?

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Why?

Some of their team will not work for free on certain things.

EnGorDiaz
March 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
why would i wait for it i have windows ?

windows xp less corrupt more hardware supported edition *in the future&

Meep3D
March 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Some of their team will not work for free on certain things.

So let me get this straight, I have to pay a significantly larger amount of money to a group of people so that they can write a clone of an OS I can already buy (and probably already own)? All so I can run my proprietary Windows software, drivers and hardware without actually running Windows?

You get all the problems of proprietary software, all the problems of buggy, unfinished FOSS software, and none of the real freedoms and benefits, plus you help prop up the market for closed-source Windows only software and drivers?

In who's world is all this a good idea?

ewood
May 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM

It's not so bad - think of how Apple implemented such CPU emulation in their migrations, first to PPC and then to Intel. In each case, they provided compatibility with the older architecture (M68k and PPC, respectively) on the new platform, and it's done quite well in each case. And ReactOS has qemu-user out there just waiting to be put to that use! Not a bad setup. I'm waiting for that OS to reach a point where it can actually install and run on real hardware, and run a lot of Windows software. I worry that that day may never come, as it's simply a monumental undertaking, but here's hoping, anyway. Open source operating systems never EVER seem to make it out of a beta state, in fact - the bugs to be fixed and new features to be added just seem to stay well ahead of the programmers' capacities to handle. That's what keeps me away from being a Gnu/Linux or BSD user full-time, in fact. The systems remain unable to do everything I need them to do, overall, which does include running Windows software (games :D)

ewood
May 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
So let me get this straight, I have to pay a significantly larger amount of money to a group of people so that they can write a clone of an OS I can already buy (and probably already own)? All so I can run my proprietary Windows software, drivers and hardware without actually running Windows?

You get all the problems of proprietary software, all the problems of buggy, unfinished FOSS software, and none of the real freedoms and benefits, plus you help prop up the market for closed-source Windows only software and drivers?

In who's world is all this a good idea?
It would be nice if it became its own platform, though with that highly desired/desirable Windows software and driver compatibility. It would then offer a free and open platform with the capability of running a lot of popular software. That is what we get now with Linux + Wine, in fact. Might be that that combination will make ReactOS completely pointless, come to think about it..

uRock
May 6th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Necromancy

Thread CLosed