PDA

View Full Version : [OT] What do you think about Rotary club, and say if it can help Ubuntu

simone.brunozzi
March 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm throwing a (hopefully) interesting and maybe controversial topic here.

Since few months I'm a member of a local small Rotaract club (Rotaract is the youth section of Rotary). I thought it deserved a try.

I'm from Italy, and I would like to know how Rotary Club is seen all over the world (my vision is limited to my country). You can use the poll to vote for it.

Second, I was thinking that Rotary Club *could* be a way to spread/help Ubuntu, for instance:

- helping install Ubuntu in a local school;
- diffusing Ubuntu informations and CDs to Rotary and Rotaract members;
- publicizing Ubuntu in social events.

What is your opinion about that?

Thanks!

sapo
March 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
anyway, what is a rotary club? i m sure i ve seen this here in brazil too.. what exactly it does?

prizrak
March 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
What's a Rotary club? Is it for the owners of RX-7/8s and other drivers who have rotary engines?

simone.brunozzi
March 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Hi again,
sorry for missing that part!!

You can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_International

Briefly:
Rotary Clubs are clubs of people which try to: help other poor people or help a "just" cause (like the battle against polio), and help build goodwill and ethical spirit.
But this is the theory: in practice, I'm sure it's a little bit more complicated.

That's why I asked for an opinion from you ("you" that knows at least a little bit what Rotary is, and what is the local Rotary activity).

Thanks!

sapo
March 11th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Hi again,
sorry for missing that part!!

You can look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_International

Briefly:
Rotary Clubs are clubs of people which try to: help other poor people or help a "just" cause (like the battle against polio), and help build goodwill and ethical spirit.
But this is the theory: in practice, I'm sure it's a little bit more complicated.

That's why I asked for an opinion from you ("you" that knows at least a little bit what Rotary is, and what is the local Rotary activity).

Thanks!
Thank for the explanation, i m not exactly "you" :rolleyes: but my opinion is:

Anything that *could* help spread ubuntu is welcome, it doesnt matter if it works or not, what does matter is that you tried.

simone.brunozzi
March 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Sapo,
I agree that anything helping Ubuntu spread is welcome.

I was trying to get a sensation on what Ubuntians think about Rotary, to see if there is room for manoeuvring (read: if Rotary is too much unpleasant to Ubuntians, forget it).

OT: nice blog! :-)

Cheers,

sapo
March 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Sapo,
I agree that anything helping Ubuntu spread is welcome.

I was trying to get a sensation on what Ubuntians think about Rotary, to see if there is room for manoeuvring (read: if Rotary is too much unpleasant to Ubuntians, forget it).

OT: nice blog! :-)

Cheers,
ubuntu is for everyone, even the members of the GNAA uses ubuntu:

www.gnaa.us

So i dont see any problems in spreading in the rotary club :)

:mrgreen:

Arktis
March 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
At the risk of causing tension and getting myself into trouble, I for one am opposed to the idea of the involvement of Rotarians with Ubuntu in any way. I know a lot of you may be under the impression that the Rotary Club is some kind of good thing, but it's a front organization to make rich buisnessmen and politicians appear to be "good guys".

In my opinion, they're no better than the Freemasons. Everyone, do your own independant research on these guys, and you can see that it's not all roses. Just like many front organizations and masquerading cults, the deeper you dig beneath the surface, the more questionable things get.

Master Shake
March 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM
A reason to "love" wikipedia...

Active members

Orville Wright, US aviation pioneer

:D :D :D

Yes, he's VERY active today... :)

simone.brunozzi
March 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Arktis,
I thank you very much for your opinion... that's exactly what I wanted to hear: a sincere thought about Rotarians.
Though I'm in the Rotaract Club (the Rotary Club for young people), I feel free to criticize them, and to accept criticize against them as well.

If you can provide some deeper details (without names, of course) and examples on Rotarians, I would be much grateful.
My only desire is understanding, not defending a club.

Cheers,