PDA

View Full Version : Need someone good in math...

Puzzled Guy
March 14th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Hi. I need to figure out how much space will a 1 minute video take up.

Here are the figures:
The video lasts 00:01:24 and has a size of 24.5 Megabytes. If I make a video that has a duration of 1 minute, how much space will it take up?

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 03:40 AM
About 17.5mb? My math is terrible as well.

szymon_g
March 14th, 2010, 03:46 AM
dont you think that you should do your homework?

hint: count the number of seconds, that count what is 1 sec in MB, than multiply it x60

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 03:49 AM
dont you think that you should do your homework?

hint: count the number of seconds, that count what is 1 sec in MB, than multiply it x60

Than is a word that compares 2 things to eachother, then is the word you want.

lisati
March 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
About 17.5mb? My math is terrible as well.

Not counting the overheads (e.g. "magic numbers" indicate the particular video format), I'd concur.

Hint: the source video is 84 seconds long, and you want it to be 60 seconds. The file size will change in a similar proportion, 60 eight-fourths of the original.

Paqman
March 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM
17.5mb is the right ratio, that doesn't mean the file will actually be that size though.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I lovez peoples that check otherz grammer it really helps us to improve our grammer in are posts so others understand us they really can't not otherwise.

Edit: Good I was mainly correct. You would need a flat bitrate and what was said above to predict the exact size.

Puzzled Guy
March 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I'll recheck with the calculator:
Convert 1 minute 24 seconds to seconds: 84 seconds

84 seconds divided by 24.5 Megabytes gives how many seconds for 1 Megabyte: 3.428571429...

Seconds per Megabyte times 17.5 Megabytes = Exactly 60 seconds!

Thanks!

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I lovez peoples that check otherz grammer(add Period, to prevent run-on sentence.) it really helps us to improve our grammer in are posts so others understand us(.) (T)hey really can't not otherwise.

People is plural.
grammar,
again grammar,
our,
either change can't into can, and combine can and not, or remove not.

See corrections.
:p

lisati
March 14th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I'll recheck with the calculator:
Convert 1 minute 24 seconds to seconds: 84 seconds

84 seconds divided by 24.5 Megabytes gives how many seconds for 1 Megabyte: 3.428571429...

Seconds per Megabyte times 17.5 Megabytes = Exactly 60 seconds!

Thanks!

The 17.5 is only approximate. Most of the video files I've worked with have some extra information stored in them to tell the player what format they're in, e.g. NTSC or PAL (this is just an example), number of channels for the soundtrack, frame rate, stuff like that which could throw the calculations out slightly.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I was mainly going for run-on sentence with that one. Thanks dragos! ;)

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I was mainly going for run-on sentence with that one. Thanks dragos! ;)

Lol.

Post Monkeh
March 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I lovez peoples that check otherz grammer it really helps us to improve our grammer in are posts so others understand us they really can't not otherwise.

Edit: Good I was mainly correct. You would need a flat bitrate and what was said above to predict the exact size.

eevn mroe srurpisnig is taht spllenig and gamrmar rlealy dno't mttaer as mcuh as poelpe tihnk tehy do, it's rlealy not mcuh hdarer to udnrestnad wrods eevn if teihr lteters are all mxied up!

sorry for anyone who doesn't have english as a first language, that may not work for you :D

szymon_g
March 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Than is a word that compares 2 things to eachother, then is the word you want.

thanx, my bad :)

dragos240
March 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
eevn mroe srurpisnig is taht spllenig and gamrmar rlealy dno't mttaer as mcuh as poelpe tihnk tehy do, it's rlealy not mcuh hdarer to udnrestnad wrods eevn if teihr lteters are all mxied up!

sorry for anyone who doesn't have english as a first language, that may not work for you :D

There was a topic about this.

nothingspecial
March 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM

The reason that works is because we have fixed rules for spelling and grammar.

koenn
March 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM

it works,
but it looks ugly