PDA

View Full Version : How old or out-of-date is your computer?

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I like my old computer. I like my old computer more now that it runs Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. I also have a properly beaten and whipped Xp Pro with office 10 on another drive. I believe my system was assembled in 2002/2003. It has a 40 Gig and 10 Gig drive, an Athlon 1700+ processor, 128 and 256 byte cache, radeon 7000 ve 64 meg dual display video card and an upgrade to 1 Gig ddr1 ram. Just did the upgrade, got 1 Gig ddr1 Kingston ram for 39.99 (Canadian).

Everything works out-of-the-box with Ubuntu Karmic 9.10, with the exception of full 3d support on the radeon 7000 ve video. Ubuntu also resides on the 10 Gig drive and seems capable of remaining there, without busting out, for a long time.

Xp is on the 40 Gig (NTFS)(being the selfish hungry child that it is), although allowing me to have an 11 Gig logical partition (Fat 32) off of that.

I think it is wonderful that an old PC like mine can use the latest Ubuntu distro and hope that support for old hardware does not start to fade away (many poor people freecycle their systems).

This PC like everyone that I've owned for the last ten years has been freecycled with the exception of the ddr1 ram. I've assembled many such systems and given them away to people who can't afford them (one free OS or another usually pre-installed).

So, who will have the bragging rights for the oldest (primary) PC using Ubuntu karmic 9.10 or later.

Show us what you got...

While were at it, who is the oldest Ubuntu user? I know I'm not (just a baby approaching 45). I think it would be cool if senior users stepped forward and expressed themselves. I think it would be even more cool if seniors had a forum section to express their thoughts about ease of use. I've found that to many changes, too fast, make my life difficult and I'm not even forty-five.

urosg3
March 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
1999. year Powerbook G3 Lombard. On Desktop AMD 2500+ Barton 1,5 GB RAM. Just works.

_h_
March 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM
My laptop is only like a year or so (give or take a few months) old, because my other one from 4 years ago went into the dump.

Barrucadu
March 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Brand new. Built it last week.

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
1999. year Powerbook G3 Lombard. On Desktop AMD 2500+ Barton 1,5 GB RAM. Just works.
Cool, but wonder how old you are... Don't respond if the question bothers you. Think my question about the oldest user is even better. :p

Nicolas.Perrault
March 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Sony Vaio, got it last August.

zexoc
March 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
My linux box is a Pentium 3, 1Ghz with 512mb ram that had Windows XP SP2 running on it really slow, which is the one of the reasons Ive installed Ubuntu 9.1.

About the age, I'm in my 30s and I personally think how fast you learn and pick new things is down to your level of interest in the subject.

Be good to get other perspectives on this.

gymophett
March 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I got mine in May of 2009, so it's not even a year old yet. :P
Almost there. Got a backup though.

Got it in December of 2007. 1GB Ram, like, 1.8 GHz. Uhh.

EDIT: I have one made in 1999 with 64mb ram and 633mHz. It won't even run Ubuntu. xD

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
My linux box is a Pentium 3, 1Ghz with 512mb ram that had Windows XP SP2 running on it really slow, which is the one of the reasons Ive installed Ubuntu 9.1.

About the age, I'm in my 30s and I personally think how fast you learn and pick new things is down to your level of interest in the subject.

Be good to get other perspectives on this. I've found that age starts to matter when you forget things that are important. But memory is a function of use as well (almost 45).

themarker0
March 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I've been using my computer since i stopped sharing with my sister... What was that.. 2004? Been holding strong :) Laptop got at Xmass.

gnupipe
March 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Intel Q6600, 2GB ram and Nvidia 8800GT

Built in 2007.

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I've been using my computer since i stopped sharing with my sister... What was that.. 2004? Been holding strong :) Laptop got at Xmass.
Laptops seem to have a life of there own. Being portable makes them great for people who like to write. My laptop (before its great fall to the earth was a cutting edge p1 with 128 Meg ram (win95)... time flies.
:p

ratcheer
March 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I have two identical computers that are 5 and a half years old.

Tim

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Not being picky, but was more curious about older systems/configurations that are able to use the latest ubuntu distro.;) to be specific, how far back on the hardware chain can current and recent distros go with usable support.

mudguts
March 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I run an old Compaq EVO n610c with a Pentium M 1.8Ghz 1.25GB RAM 60GB HDD - I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 but it won't run 9.4 for some odd reason.
It's a SOLID laptop and I love it more and more with Ubuntu on it now that I've played with useless netbooks running XP ..

Though.. I do miss my T60 dual core with 4GB ram..

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I run an old Compaq EVO n610c with a Pentium M 1.8Ghz 1.25GB RAM 60GB HDD - I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 but it won't run 9.4 for some odd reason.
It's a SOLID laptop and I love it more and more with Ubuntu on it now that I've played with useless netbooks running XP ..

Though.. I do miss my T60 dual core with 4GB ram..
If I have not missed my guess, you are dog people... Yes? :P Oh, sound card, is it radeon ve or other rev 100?

mudguts
March 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
If I have not missed my guess, you are dog people... Yes? :P

What gave that away?

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
What gave that away? I think it was the smell you heard while eating the sound that it made. :D Dogs are the most honest people you will ever meet...

urosg3
March 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Cool, but wonder how old you are... Don't respond if the question bothers you. Think my question about the oldest user is even better. :p

Sorry I was busy... So, born 1967, my first distro was 7.10, came to Ubuntu from OS 9.2 on that same Powerbook. But, my father is Ubuntu user, well, not Ubuntu exactly but cp6linux. That is Serbian distro, on Serbian language, based on Ubuntu, latest version is similar with Jaunty. Btw, my father is 79 years old...

Enigmapond
March 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I love my old computer! 2002 Dell Dimension 4400 Pentium4 1.90GHz 749.6MB of RAM. Runs Jaunty like they were made for each other. I've only had to replace the original HDD and also added another.:)

Swagman
March 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Mine is a Msi K8 bought when K8 was first released
Cpu is Athlon 64 3500 single core
2gb ram when 2gb was considered a lot.

It's all getting rather long in the tooth now

Here's a pic of the gubbins (http://www.upload3r.com/serve/130310/1268513954.jpg)

I'm going to start a new build soon though.

I'm thinking about This case (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-104-TT&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=) to house it all in.

Gonna wait till I've got the case though as prices always come down in the meantime. It'll probably be an Asus Mobo with AMD cpu & nVidia graphics.

Phrea
March 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Both my every day computers are pretty recent [both AMD quadcores with 4gig].

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry I was busy... So, born 1967, my first distro was 7.10, came to Ubuntu from OS 9.2 on that same Powerbook. But, my father is Ubuntu user, well, not Ubuntu exactly but cp6linux. That is Serbian distro, on Serbian language, based on Ubuntu, latest version is similar with Jaunty. Btw, my father is 79 years old... Cool, my dad is 88, but I haven't been able to convince him to dual os with ubuntu yet, but since the man is likely to live damn near forever I'm sure he'll come around. He keeps playing with networking his xp with his vista. This is a man who once thought computers were the devils tool...:o

wgarider
March 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have three older systems - the two I use (that run Ubuntu) are 5 and 5 1/2 years old. One has a 40GB hard drive the other has a 250GB - I use that to run all my VM's on.....memory is 2.5 and 3 GB respectively.... I have maybe $175 ino both systems - most of the parts were leftovers take-aparts form other projects.....

The 3rd system is also 5 yrs old and runs Windows server to host my son's school software.....it was given to me for free and I added 1GB of RAM to it so it could run Windows.......

The only new computer I bought in the last few years was a Zareason netbook because it fits on my motorcycle.

urosg3
March 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Convincing was easy task, for me. Microsoft have poor support on Serbian language and my father speech only Serbian. He is retired colonel of signal corps of Yugoslav army, familiar with old electronics. This is ideal combination for him.

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have three older systems - the two I use (that run Ubuntu) are 5 and 5 1/2 years old. One has a 40GB hard drive the other has a 250GB - I use that to run all my VM's on.....memory is 2.5 and 3 GB respectively.... I have maybe $175 ino both systems - most of the parts were leftovers take-aparts form other projects.....

The 3rd system is also 5 yrs old and runs Windows server to host my son's school software.....it was given to me for free and I added 1GB of RAM to it so it could run Windows.......

The only new computer I bought in the last few years was a Zareason netbook because it fits on my motorcycle. Ya, like I said laptops just keep going and going. Ever considered building systems from leftovers and give them to people who can't afford a system? ubuntu has made that easier, but finding usable parts is getting harder. ;)

Странник
March 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
My laptop is from august 2009

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Convincing was easy task, for me. Microsoft have poor support on Serbian language and my father speech only Serbian. He is retired colonel of signal corps of Yugoslav army, familiar with old electronics. This is ideal combination for him.
I think microsoft has support for Serbian language now...Xp (not sure though). I still use xp for some things. It has better support for some older hardware. My Father was not an officer. I like dual os because I've have even crashed my ubuntu (some pushing was involved).

venator260
March 13th, 2010, 10:30 PM
My computer is not the oldest; as my laptop was probably bought origionally in 2004 (see sig). I'm not the oldest here either, at 23.

urosg3
March 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I think microsoft has support for Serbian language now...Xp (not sure though). I still use xp for some things. It has better support for some older hardware. My Father was not an officer. I like dual os because I've have even crashed my ubuntu (some pushing was involved).

Well, in theory yes, Microsoft released XP on Serbian, but only OS. MS Office too. But only that, not decent anti-virus, not Adobe on Serbian, only few applications localized. Cp6Linux is 100% on Serbian, everything is on Serbian. That`s cool

wgarider
March 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Ya, like I said laptops just keep going and going. Ever considered building systems from leftovers and give them to people who can't afford a system? ubuntu has made that easier, but finding usable parts is getting harder. ;)

That's where the leftovers and take-aparts came from.... : -)
I gt used, old, broken PC's all the time - fix 'em, load Ubuntu and give them away....to someone who can't afford a PC, it's the perfect combination of technology and good will......

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Well, in theory yes, Microsoft released XP on Serbian, but only OS. MS Office too. But only that, not decent anti-virus, not Adobe on Serbian, only few applications localized. Cp6Linux is 100% on Serbian, everything is on Serbian. That`s cool
I see your point. Had friends from Serbia, in school, who learned English to use Microsoft os and software products. Ubuntu is more world friendly, but It must try to continue support for older hardware or it will be less human (for the poor and displaced). Ubuntu is about being human and economics are artificial constructs that restrict or block access to some. Ubuntu does keep older distros, but support is mostly on the newest version. Would love to see a retro gang formed to keep essential system up-to-date.

rolnics
March 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Like someone earlier in this thread I'm currently replying from a Dell gx150, which puts it around 2001. I also have my previous, previous pc, which is also a P3, so its of similar ages, but a lower spec than the Dell. One thing I'm finding though is how my diffence 300Mhz and approx 316Mb of ram makes Ubuntu respond!! I need to get my ram in that machine at least as the Dell's out doing it at the mo! lol And then there's my P4 and its looks like its around 2002! The newest thing is the other half's laptop which is probably about 12-18months old now.

Doctor Mike
March 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Like someone earlier in this thread I'm currently replying from a Dell gx150, which puts it around 2001. I also have my previous, previous pc, which is also a P3, so its of similar ages, but a lower spec than the Dell. One thing I'm finding though is how my diffence 300Mhz and approx 316Mb of ram makes Ubuntu respond!! I need to get my ram in that machine at least as the Dell's out doing it at the mo! lol And then there's my P4 and its looks like its around 2002! The newest thing is the other half's laptop which is probably about 12-18months old now. That's what freecycling is about. And when you have more than you can use give it to someone who needs it. Wouldn't hurt to put a ubuntu or other compatible distro on it. Just my 2 cents, like I have any cents at all (LOL).

koenn
March 13th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Pentium 4 1.8GHz with 1 GB of RAM
Used to be an NT4 server, long time ago.

Runs Ubuntu 8.04 without effort.

Keith1212
March 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
My Laptop is a Dell Latitude D520 built around 2004-2005. It has a Intel Core Duo processor, 1 gig ram, onboard video and wireless card. Originally had windows xp, upgraded to vista, then windows 7, and now runs Ubuntu 9.10 as the only Os. Streams all my media to my xbox 360 via UShare much better than it ever did on windows. Has a total of 810gb of available storage on my internal hdd, an external hdd, and a large hdd in my modded xbox.

O and i'm 23 since were posting ages.

The Real Dave
March 14th, 2010, 01:18 AM
My signature rig is from 2006, and compared to my other computers is a powerhouse.

The stats, and pictures of all my systems, can be found here on my blog. (http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/hardware/) :D :D Gotta love computer pic ;)

swoll1980
March 14th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I just built this one last month, so it won't be out of date until summer.

Doctor Mike
March 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I just built this one last month, so it won't be out of date until summer.Nice to see you. No hard feelings I hope. I have none. :D

Dr Belka
March 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Ophioneus - HP Pavillion a520n

AMD XP 3200+
434MB RAM
120GB IDE HD
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

Achelois - Gateway UC7807u

Core2Duo @ 2.0GHz
3GB RAM
250GB SATA HD

dragonboss