PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Serious Kernel Problem" and "No Network Connection" on 9.10 install

bbehrends
March 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm a NOOBY and I'm not a programmer, but I need help please

I have been working to install 9.10 i386 desktop on a couple of older computers with no success. Result for either Live CD or install is "serious kernel problem" and no network connection. Finally got Live CD to work on one of the computers by booting to Live CD with NO ACPI (F4) selected, my wired connection, 8139too, comes up and the "serious kernel problem" does not appear. Got this remedy from another post that indicated there may be a problem with IRQ conflict due to ACPI management.

Before I install, I would like to know what I need to do to overcome the ACPI problem. Are there any file modifications that I need to make (grub file?) to shut off ACPI during the boot? Or are there other work-arounds that are better suited to this problem.

I have enough experience to be able to post code from any of the logs or files that you may need to review to understand the problem. Please advise and I will do so.

Although I believe this is a system (or possibly driver) bug, I have not reported it as such, since I don't have the experience or knowledge to identify with certainty.

Thanks for your help.