PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioning HP drive to save essential files

StephenOK
March 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Folks:

I have a customers' HP laptop that I've been doing work on. The HP came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed and the system was infected with the insidious Vista Antivirus 2010 virus.

Well, after doing some registry cleaning I was able to get rid of that virus, but I suggested to the customers to check out Ubuntu, which they agreed to do.

Here's my problem:

The HP has a recovery drive, which I formatted to make room for some of the pictures, documents and music they wanted to retain.
I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu 9.10 and don't want to erase the recovery partition D:, which is labeled as /dev/sda2
in the prepare disk space portion of the setup.

I've moved to specify partition manually, but I'm uncertain as to how to configure this. When I installed Ubuntu on my own system, I just deleted Windows and used the entire disk space, so this is something new to me.

If anyone could take the time to explain how to go about doing this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

StephenOK
March 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
No worries, folks. I'm an imbecile. I found an easy and obvious option to solve the problem.