PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] dell inspiron 6000 issues -Karmic_plain/Mint 8

babygenius55
March 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I've had a horrible time trying to find the answer to why this particular laptop's screen just blinks repeatedly after a certain stage when trying to "try Ubuntu without any change to the computer". So I tried Linux Mint 8 and I had absolutely no issue! Both are based on Karmic, which is based on debian, but what in the world is going on? I had been reluctant about mint, but so far it tends to be more hands off when it comes to installs on the various computers I've tried.

babygenius55
March 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmm, nobody care huh? That's ashame.

patrickcage
May 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Just adding my 2 cents, no solution for you from me though I'm afraid.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000 also, but running clean installed 10.04 "Lucid Lynx".
On boot up the Ubuntu logo as a green aura, and at times (although not always) when I log in, networking is disabled and needs to be enables by right clicking on the network manager applet and toggling the "Enable Networking" menu item.
If visual effects are set to "Normal" some program windows will not refresh correctly, most noticeably for me was Thunderbird whilst trying to set-up new mail accounts.

Other than those issues though, it seems to work. Just posting my problems here too in case someone ever comes up with a fix/workaround.