PDA

View Full Version : Laptop / netbook under $300 ?

Sim & Co.
March 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Any suggestions ?

Psumi
March 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I suggest setting your budget higher to be honest.

Have a look here though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940772%204018&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE (All Laptops are priced over 300 USD.)

Should also check bestbuy.com's netbook selection (ALL of their laptops are priced OVER 300 USD.)

If you want a laptop, set your budget higher. I'll be saving up 1500 or so USD in total for a new laptop in the future myself.

CharlesA
March 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Only thing I can say is "you get what you pay for."

I originally cheaped out and got a $299 netbook, Acer Aspire One. Hated it. Picked up an Asus 1005HA and so far it's worked flawlessly for me, $369 or so.

Both had the same screen size, but the Asus EEE seems to be better laid out. *shrug*

Psumi
March 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Oh and; bestbuy.com website is updated every sunday (with new sales, stock, etc), so check back tomorrow.

Sim & Co.
March 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I suggest setting your budget higher to be honest.

Have a look here though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940772%204018&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE (All Laptops are priced over 300 USD.)

Should also check bestbuy.com's netbook selection (ALL of their laptops are priced OVER 300 USD.)

If you want a laptop, set your budget higher. I'll be saving up 1500 or so USD in total for a new laptop in the future myself.

Oh and; bestbuy.com website is updated every sunday (with new sales, stock, etc), so check back tomorrow.

Thank you - will give the MSI's a closer look :)

Only thing I can say is "you get what you pay for."

I originally cheaped out and got a $299 netbook, Acer Aspire One. Hated it. Picked up an Asus 1005HA and so far it's worked flawlessly for me, $369 or so.

Both had the same screen size, but the Asus EEE seems to be better laid out. *shrug*

You get what you pay for doesn't work when your main box is dead and need a fast ( in a day or two ) solution on a fixed budged :)

CharlesA
March 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
You get what you pay for doesn't work when your main box is dead and need a fast ( in a day or two ) solution on a fixed budged :)

That is true. In any case, those MSI netbooks look decent for the price.

snowpine
March 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
You will always get more for your money if you are willing to buy used. Check your local classifieds (Craigslist etc.) and you'll find some great deals.

Another option is the Dell Outlet. They sell previously owned or scratch & dent computers, but with a full 1 year Dell warranty. I bought a refurbished Dell Mini 9 netbook for about $200, with Ubuntu preinstalled! If you are patient, they sometimes go on sale for $199 brand new. :)

themarker0
March 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
If you ca pull out 900 dollars, you could get the Acer Timeline Travelmate whenit comes.

bpalone
March 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I'll throw another comment for the used market. Don't forget the auction sites, I just picked up a used Dell Latitude D620 for $290 (US) to the door off of ebay. Remember, that if you are planning on using Linux as the main OS, it doesn't have to be a new top of the line model to give great performance.

The laptop I am currently using, is the first brand new one I have ever owned. All my others have been used and that was part of my decision process on the new purchase. For a time line reference, I started computing with a TRS-80 Model 1 and it was used (couldn't afford a new one at the time).

Good luck.