PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What wrong with Ubuntu

fx2248
March 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I was unfortunate to stumble across Ubuntu as what I saw was really good and thought wow I would like that.

I then installed versions 8.04, 9,04 and 9.10 and could not believe how hard it was just to get the basics running.

I used these forums and there is a lot of stuff but one needs to be an expert to understand whats going on, anyway I tried to install a 3G internet connection and failed, then tried to get the visual effects going but failed hopelessly.

Each time, despite using the codes cut and pasted from here I kept getting errors and messages saying "cannot find this or that".

I have been a widows user and thought Vista was bad but heck it works and one just plugs something is and yes it works. When you get a windows disk it has everything on it suprise, but Ubuntu has nothing and unless you are a master programmer my advice is forget it steer clear and go back to windows as IT WORKS.

So I am afraid its goodbye Ubuntu and and big hello to WINDOWS.

the8thstar
March 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
@admin: Moving to Testimonials and Experience?

bug67
March 13th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Too bad you didn't enjoy your experience. I have to say though that yours is not typical. I use all 3 of the major OSs (Windows 7, Mac OS X and Linux) and of the 3 Linux is by far my favorite. I am far, FAR from any kind of programming guru and find Linux to be the easiest and most user friendly GUI of them all.

Might I suggest you try Linux Mint? It tends to be a lot more user friendly for new folks trying Linux right out of the box.

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

All Mint really is is Ubuntu with everything already configured. I use it. I love it. I will probably be switching back to regular Ubuntu when Lucid releases next month.

hoboy
March 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ha ha ha I understand you very well. but believe me going back to windows is like going back to your room when you were living at home with your parents, suddenly you released that the room was not big or smart as you had always believed :)

please check this link from me

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326086

magian
March 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
So I am afraid its goodbye Ubuntu and and big hello to WINDOWS.

See you spanky, you flame-baiting, Microsoft agent-provocateur.

You will not be missed.

wizarddrummer
March 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM
... I will probably be switching back to regular Ubuntu when Lucid releases next month.

Very curious about that statement.

Why?

derekeverett
March 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
lol if I had $1 for every time I've told Ubuntu to kiss my ***** I'd be a rich man!

It's funny how the very things that draw me to Linux make me hate it sometimes.

It's fun to learn new things and mess around configuring and playing in the terminal etc. but when things don't go as you want them to right away it's easy to find yourself wanting to hurt people.

I think these forums should have a section to bash Ubuntu. It would be a good mental release!

bug67
March 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Very curious about that statement.

Why?

Because I switched to Mint to check it out. I really like it but, as is always the case with me, nothing is set in stone. I am hearing lots of good things about Lucid. Since it only takes me about half an hour to be up an running from a fresh install, I figure I'll give Lucid a shot when it releases. Then, when Mint 9 (which will be a derivative of Lucid) releases, depending on how I'm feeling, I'll install it. Why? Basically because I can. :D

And so it goes...

Tikkyca
March 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Now thats not true you don't need to be a programmer to use ubuntu i am not,i am ubuntu gamer,ubuntu is easy to use and everything works great on my pc
you say:"Goodbie ubuntu welcome windows"
i say:"Get the fu**k of windows welcome ubuntu!"
THE END :lolflag:

Tikkyca
March 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
And one more thing,you know,there are people who joined this forum just to hate ubuntu,don't be like them,give it a try agin,ubuntu is awsome system :D

gradinaruvasile
March 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
It took me 2 years to learn Linux desktop - it IS different from the servers, i have collegues who know the Linux server (they use RedHat/CentOS) configuration ins and outs far more than me but call me for advice when it comes for desktop troubles.

But i guess it all comes down to attitude and luck - this is because of the hardware you use when you try Linux for the first time can make a BIG difference in the first impression. Maybe was lucky that i used hardware that are well supported such as nvidia cards in every single computer i have.

But then it comes the attitude - i got a bit sick of Windows mentality, licensing and all - i was using mostly open source programs on Windows when i first tried Ubuntu 7.10. After a while of accomodation, i switched to Ubuntu using it 90% of the time. Now i even killed the Windows partition on my home desktop - i switched mobo and it BSD ed on me (i know, its the drivers etc) - in contrast Ubuntu worked just as on the previous mobo, i didnt had to move a muscle.
BTW i was a gamer in the Windows world and now i used that time to learn Linux (Ubuntu and now Debian) - and by this i broadened my horizon and opened my mind - you can learn so many things seeing the various system-level debug messages in Linux that are utterly missing in Windows. I still do gaming, but for less time and games that exist on Linux - i dont really miss the Windows games graphical extravaganza anymore.

I install/configure/maintain Windows boxes for a living and honestly i dont miss the Windows features when i work on Linux and i DO miss Linux functionality on Windows.

And i can tell from personal experience - Windows doesnt always "just works" - many times i had trouble configuring hardware/drivers/software and most times not knowing WHY they dont work is really annoying - reinstall driver, reboot, rinse, repeat, pull hair etc.
In contrast on Linux i solved countless problems by just copy-pasting a dmesd or log error in Google...

In conclusion i say that if you are willing to learn (about computers, not only Linux and its way of doing things), and you are not dependent on Windows way-of-doing-things or really-Windows-only applications, you should definitely try Linux.

And if you only want a Windows-lookalike that comes without strings attached (licenses) and does EVERYTHING like Windows, or/and are hardcore gamer that wants all the latest titles to work flawlessly on a latest-hardware-using-hiper-mega-fps-capable rig, dont bother with it. Honestly, it will save you lots of frustration and time.

presence1960
March 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I am not going to assail the OP. He/she has the right and freedom to use whatever OS they want to use. It does not offend or bother me that the OP doesn't like linux. Good luck with windows.

While I disagree with the reasons set forth, those reasons are subjective. So they really can not be disputed. From the OP's perspective they are fact, just as from our point of view our experience with linux is fact. neither side is right. it is all about personal freedom & choice. Let the OP go back to windows without any preaching.

wizarddrummer
March 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Because I switched to Mint to check it out. I really like it but, as is always the case with me, nothing is set in stone. I am hearing lots of good things about Lucid. Since it only takes me about half an hour to be up an running from a fresh install, I figure I'll give Lucid a shot when it releases. Then, when Mint 9 (which will be a derivative of Lucid) releases, depending on how I'm feeling, I'll install it. Why? Basically because I can. :D

And so it goes...
HA HA ... got a good laugh.

Great answer.

qwondre
March 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Too bad you didn't enjoy your experience. I have to say though that yours is not typical. I use all 3 of the major OSs (Windows 7, Mac OS X and Linux) and of the 3 Linux is by far my favorite. I am far, FAR from any kind of programming guru and find Linux to be the easiest and most user friendly GUI of them all.

Might I suggest you try Linux Mint? It tends to be a lot more user friendly for new folks trying Linux right out of the box.

All Mint really is is Ubuntu with everything already configured. I use it. I love it. I will probably be switching back to regular Ubuntu when Lucid releases next month.

I haven't been around these forums for some time but this post happened to catch my eye.

Well, for the most part, I was managing using Ubuntu on my two notebooks- until I decided to put Mint on both and now on this eeepc I get this message:

E: Malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (absolute dist)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I just thought of this, I'm probably not even posting in the place that I should be?

Well, it's not the first time..........

Anyway, any suggestions on what I need to do here since I am no longer able to get updates?

Thanks

presence1960
March 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I haven't been around these forums for some time but this post happened to catch my eye.

Well, for the most part, I was managing using Ubuntu on my two notebooks- until I decided to put Mint on both and now on this eeepc I get this message:

E: Malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (absolute dist)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I just thought of this, I'm probably not even posting in the place that I should be?

Well, it's not the first time..........

Anyway, any suggestions on what I need to do here since I am no longer able to get updates?

Thanks

You have a problem with line 61 of your sources.list file. You need to remove that line and then add the repository or PPA again. Open a terminal and run
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.listlocate the offending line and remove it. Click Save on top toolbar and close file. In terminal run
sudo apt-get update See if it works now. If so the PPA or repository that you removed was not good. You can try adding it again if you wish.

qwondre
March 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
You have a problem with line 61 of your sources.list file. You need to remove that line and then add the repository or PPA again. Open a terminal and run
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.listlocate the offending line and remove it. Click Save on top toolbar and close file. In terminal run
sudo apt-get update See if it works now. If so the PPA or repository that you removed was not good. You can try adding it again if you wish.

Hey thanks for the response.
It looks as if I had tried to fix this and I had deleted a few lines without knowing what I was doing. I look now and find that I do not even have a line 61 anymore. I guess I'm just not sure what my next step should be??
Thanks again for your help.

fx2248
March 16th, 2010, 06:53 AM

Hi Bug67, thanks for putting me onto Linux Mint, It is great thanks .