PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] panels has crashed

toronado
March 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Panels has crashed (all panels blank and non responsive - unable to right click on panels - nothing happens) and problem persists after reboot. Is there a way to fix?
Ubuntu 9.10

drpjkurian
March 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Hi
Delete the panel and create a new panel. It might solve the issue

toronado
March 13th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hi
Delete the panel and create a new panel. It might solve the issue

I cannot right click on the panels. Well, I CAN, but nothing happens. I don't get a context menu. Is there another way to delete the existing non-responsive panels?

antiphatique
March 13th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi,
I had a problem with my panels a little while back. My task bar was caught in a loop of trying to remove itself which clogged up my panel accessibility in general. So it is not quite the same as the non-reaction of your panel. But I did find something to set the panels back to default configuration (which solved my problem). Three easy steps in terminal:

1: gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
2: rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
3: pkill gnome-panel

Voilą!

Hope this works for you

toronado
March 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hi,
I had a problem with my panels a little while back. My task bar was caught in a loop of trying to remove itself which clogged up my panel accessibility in general. So it is not quite the same as the non-reaction of your panel. But I did find something to set the panels back to default configuration (which solved my problem). Three easy steps in terminal:

1: gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
2: rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
3: pkill gnome-panel

Voilą!

Hope this works for you

IT WORKED!

Thank you!!!

Thank goodness for default configs. I actually ran your commands from the recovery mode command prompt because I couldn't even figure out how to launch terminal (or any apps for that matter) from within the GUI without having an apps menu because I'm such a Linux noob!

phillipjennings5
March 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
wait thats not working for me i copied and pasted
gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
in the Terminal and i get nothing it just goes back to
Name@name-laptop:~$
am i missing some sudo command or something