PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation of e16-1.0.2 Package

jhaskins75
March 13th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I viewed the new e16 enlightenment Window X desktop theme package an wanted to know before I install it, Do I already have that package with the 9.10 OS, and if not, It is a .sn install version and the installation notes are in script language. Must I use the terminal to install it or can I force an install. When I tried to open it to all files, I can view them, but they open my Wine program, then the window just disappears. Is this e16 1.0.2 version compatible with Linux? [ deb, rpm etc....

jhaskins75
March 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I viewed the new e16 enlightenment Window X desktop theme package an wanted to know before I install it, Do I already have that package with the 9.10 OS, and if not, It is a .sn install version and the installation notes are in script language. Must I use the terminal to install it or can I force an install. When I tried to open it to all files, I can view them, but they open my Wine program, then the window just disappears. Is this e16 1.0.2 version compatible with Linux? [ deb, rpm etc....
I see i have 29 views and no replys or answers. I think I can make my question a little clearer. The new release of the Dr16 & EFL version of Enlightenment was released on Jan. 24, 2010 and with this release are several file type downloads available via SourceForce and I downloaded the .sn version but cannot open it. I went to the terminal and used the sudo apt-get install package which found the version 1.0.0.1, which is not what I want. Long story short. They list five versions
Source package rpm
Linux i386 binary rpm
GENTOO Linux
Debian gnu/linux deb
suse linux {pacman}
I need to know which one of these versions are correct for Ubuntu 9.10. I have instructions on how to extract the 'tarball'. But I just need the best version for my system. I am still very new to Linux [ 2 weeks ] and I still need help and advice from all you Master Geeks from Linux world. I have a list of commands dedicated to dumb starter like myself from Ubuntu.com, but I rather not experiment, but heed the best advice from professionals who have downloaded e16 1.0.2 to their system. ' Waiting patiently for an answer, John'

proverbs308
March 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Ubuntu uses the Debian package manager so I would use that package. I have not installed E16 on my system so I am not sure if I can give any specific advice. I was actually looking on the forum for insight before installing it myself.

jhaskins75
March 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ubuntu uses the Debian package manager so I would use that package. I have not installed E16 on my system so I am not sure if I can give any specific advice. I was actually looking on the forum for insight before installing it myself.

I to am waiting for more precise information on were the latest version is to download, which is the DR17. I just attemped to download the 'slacke16', but had dificulty in trying to open / install it. Also, it is said that is an older version, and DR17 is the one to get. I am waiting for a reply from a forum member who just successfully downloaded the DR17 version. So as soon as I can get the heads up from him, I will let you know. His reply was on the Linux.com site, under my same posting as the one I used here, if you want to keep track. His user name is Karma1. Stay tuned...John

jhaskins75
March 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I was able to successfully download the latest version, DR17 Enlightenment. Forget the e16 slacke16 version, totally not for Ubuntu. I had to un install all traces of the e16 for DR17 to function. When I first logged in under e16, believe me, It was pure 'Hell'. No window, no desktop, no nothing. It was like going into a room, with no lights and the exit door just disappeared. I finally found a menu to log off/restart and after some weird log in password different window scenarios. I found my old Gnome desktop, and said, thank you, Lord. The Dr17 is a beauty. Smooth, elegant, fancy, etc. really worth it. It is very similar to Windows, and that's what I wanted. It is hard to leave the Windows environment, when you have been with it for so long, but change is change, and we all move on. One thing..'Wine' in Linux really sucks. Nothing works, except notepad. And it list around 15 programs. what a joke!