PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub doesn't load on startup - must use Live CD

ShadowsOfSilver
March 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Help? I can't use ubuntu without the Live CD, and I don't have any other operating systems...

I have Grub 2 and Ubuntu 9.10. if any more information is needed, I will gladly add it.

presence1960
March 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Let's see what you have on that machine. Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

Above link is to meierfra's Sourceforge web page.

ShadowsOfSilver
March 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Okay, I did that. I think my grub.cfg file needs to be edited at a certain part, it needs a non-zero digit in that spot. But here are the results.

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

no valid partition table found
blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (rw)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (rw)

=======Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive==============

no block devices found

presence1960
March 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Your hard disk is not being recognized. Check in BIOS and make sure your hard disk is recognized by BIOS.