PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Chrome or Chromium? (Browser)

Kdar
March 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I am using Chrome Browser now, but I heard about Chromium recently, an open-source version, how I understand.

Any one use it instead of Chrome Browser?

Is it better in some way?

chucky chuckaluck
March 13th, 2010, 12:19 AM
There's also iron, which is chromium with two tinfoil hats.

Paqman
March 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Nope, it's basically just Chrome without the Google branding. A bit like Iceweasel/Firefox. Same code base, different name.

garvinrick4
March 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM
There's also iron, which is chromium with two tinfoil hats.
Now you know Tin is not Open Source. Chromium is Chrome
dipped in a special high sheen Open Source liquid that Google has not released the code for. Sure nough is getting purty that Chromium.

days_of_ruin
March 13th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I am using Chrome Browser now, but I heard about Chromium recently, an open-source version, how I understand.

Any one use it instead of Chrome Browser?

I used to use the Chromium Daily PPA, but I got tired of things breaking, so now I am using the Google Chrome beta.

n0dix
March 13th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I use Google-chrome, for some reason i find Chromium more unstable. For example, when i drag and drop a tearing tab crash the browser. I don't look for the solution yet, but i read a bug report related to.

scouser73
March 13th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Chrome.

HoboJ
March 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I use chromium. Rarely crashes on me too.

Ewingo401
March 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Chrome is full of win.

HappinessNow
March 13th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Google Chrome

d3v1150m471c
March 13th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I use google chrome(beta). It's the fastest browser I've found next to swiftfox. I still maintain swiftfox on my system as google chrome lacks the addons I need.

2hot6ft2
March 13th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Nope. Don't care for that closed open source taste.[-X

Kdar
March 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM
The one problem that I have with Chrome, is that when I drug a page into a bookmark, it would not display the title there, but instead use something like "index.html" or just url...

Anyone else have the same problem?

swoll1980
March 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
dipped in a special high sheen Open Source liquid

Awesome sauce.

RiceMonster
March 13th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I used Chrome for a few months, but then went back to Firefox. It has a clean interface and is really fast, but Firefox just works better for me. Chrome gave me a few issues here and there, and I couldn't fully ajust to the interface.

matthew.ball
March 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Chromium here.

The occasional issue (for example, I can't add any attachments to gmail) but it's fast and the interface is awesome.

malspa
March 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
In Mepis 8, I have google-chrome-unstable installed, and also chromium-browser from the Mepis community repos. I play around with them both, and I like them both, but I still use Firefox for most of my web browsing. There are still a few issues with both Chrome and Chromium that I don't have with Firefox.

Ralph Hinkley
March 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I use Chrome beta in Ubuntu. Chome on XP at work. I love the interface and speed, but my beta version doesn't have scroll arrows, just the slider. I assume it's a beta thing, since I can't find a setting to turn arrows on. Other than that no problems. Never tried "Chromium" before. I assumed it was the same thing.

chucky chuckaluck
March 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM
The change from one-click select all to three-click select all, in the urlbar, was the deal breaker for me.

webtechquery
March 13th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hi.

Google Chrome beta version for Ubuntu / Linux has been released by Google officially. It now also supports extensions. Check out the following web to know about Google Chrome downloading and the extensions website where you can download its extensions.

http://www.webtechquery.com/index.php/2010/03/google-chrome-and-its-extensions-addons-in-ubuntu-linux/

CZARofLA
March 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I personally use Mozilla Minefield. Despite the fact that it is an alpha release I find it quite stable... and blazing fast. I get around issues with add ons by using the "nightly tester" add on. Pared up with the Google DNS service i feel that it takes the best of FF and Chrome.

ikt
March 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Chrome, the daily updates of chromium were a little to much for me.

Tikkyca
March 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
No i just use normal Google Chrome.

malspa
March 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I use Chrome beta in Ubuntu. Chome on XP at work. I love the interface and speed, but my beta version doesn't have scroll arrows, just the slider. I assume it's a beta thing, since I can't find a setting to turn arrows on. Other than that no problems. Never tried "Chromium" before. I assumed it was the same thing.

I think that the scroll arrows issue is only in Linux. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't run Windows, but but the arrows are missing here in both Chrome and Chromium (both in Mepis). Not a major issue, but annoying.

Redundant Username
March 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I use Chromium, the only bug it has it that sometimes it won't let me enter characters, and I have to copy and paste in words, or open a new tab.

cascade9
March 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Nope, it's basically just Chrome without the Google branding. A bit like Iceweasel/Firefox. Same code base, different name.

Chrome/chromium is a totally different situation to iceweasel/firefox.

Iceweasel/Firefox is from debian having some problems with firefox ("unapproved components that violated Debian policy") but yeah, its the same code.

Chrome is closed source, and why there probably isnt any major differences in the code, you never know when that will change. Google can do anything they want from chromium with chrome, they are under no obligations to reveal the code, make the code the same as chromium, or even tell you that its changed.

The only reason why google can even get away with this is because chromium is released under a BSD licence. Smart guy, realse the code they had already made as a BSD licence, then take whatever they want back for chrome...while they sprout on about 'open source'. That alone is enough to keep me away from chrome (and its not the only reason)

V for Vincent
March 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Chromium. I like not having to wait for new features.

eumetaxas
March 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Chromium, i find it a bit faster than Chrome. Only problem, as with Chrome, is pdf docs inside the browser

devolute
March 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Chrome will work with HTML5 video on the YouTube beta. Chromium does not have the necessary codec, so it will not do this. That is my experience, anyway.

Paqman
March 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
The change from one-click select all to three-click select all, in the urlbar, was the deal breaker for me.

F6 to select all, dude.

Chrome/chromium is a totally different situation to iceweasel/firefox.

I knew somebody would jump on that ;)

Hence the "a bit" qualifier. The causes behind the situation are different, but the end result is close enough that it got the point across.

Chrome is closed source, and why there probably isnt any major differences in the code, you never know when that will change.

That's pretty unlikely. Chromium is basically the dev branch of Chrome. Google benefit from Chromium being open source. To fork Chrome away from Chromium would be shooting themselves in the foot.

mickie.kext
March 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Chrome is closed source, and why there probably isnt any major differences in the code, you never know when that will change. Google can do anything they want from chromium with chrome, they are under no obligations to reveal the code, make the code the same as chromium, or even tell you that its changed.

The only reason why google can even get away with this is because chromium is released under a BSD licence. Smart guy, realse the code they had already made as a BSD licence, then take whatever they want back for chrome...while they sprout on about 'open source'. That alone is enough to keep me away from chrome (and its not the only reason)

I agree with this post.

koleoptero
March 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hi.

Google Chrome beta version for Ubuntu / Linux has been released by Google officially. It now also supports extensions. Check out the following web to know about Google Chrome downloading and the extensions website where you can download its extensions.

http://www.webtechquery.com/index.php/2010/03/google-chrome-and-its-extensions-addons-in-ubuntu-linux/

:rolleyes: