PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to do everything as a Superuser?

draperdt
March 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I am trying to use ubuntu for web development purposes. Its a local test environment and my common activities include editing php files, testing on local apache server, ftp files to server, download files from ftp etc.

I think I am missing something obvious, but can I be a superuser in the graphical environment. Such as, I open a file using gedit or kate text editor using "menu bar" or by "clicking it" and it naturally lets me edit the files without bothering me for permissions everytime. Or with ftp client, if I want to download something from my server using filezilla from the menu, it would automatically do it since it knows it me?

I know I can invoke sudo instance of programs from terminal. I was wondering of a way to do everything as superuser, every time.

Thank you.

Also, can someone suggest me their fav texteditor, I am using bluefish and I am satisfied so far.

snowpine
March 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, you can use 'gksu' (if you're using Gnome) or 'kdesu' (KDE) for graphical apps.

For example:

gksu gedit /some/random/file

Hope that helps. :)

sisco311
March 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Why don't you store your site(s) in your home directory, so you can edit the files without root privileges?
community/ApacheMySQLPHP#Virtual%20Hosts

2hot6ft2
March 12th, 2010, 10:07 PM
People ask on a regular basis how to "run as root all the time" and it is highly discouraged. If I were to tell you the Mods would shoot me. It's that taboo.

The answer is out there but you wont find it by asking. Sorry but I can't help in your endeavour.

lisati
March 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
There's always the information at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

2hot6ft2
March 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
There's always the information at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
LOL, guess that answers it.

pastalavista
March 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Are you wanting to defeat the main security advantage of Ubuntu and make it more like Windows?

Use sudo and gksudo as much as you want. Your system will check every 15 minutes or so to make sure you're still you and not some hacker who has knocked you out or a spybot hiding in some website you come in contact with.

I, personally, am very thankful for that.

draperdt
March 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I understand the pitfalls and I will try to find my way around this issue. Its just that I instinctively try to edit the files using graphical editor and only to realize that I dont have permissions when saving. Or when I fire up ftp client to make a back up to realize I have to do all over again as gksudo.... I guess I am just not used to the workflow, but I promise I will get there.

kerry_s
March 12th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I understand the pitfalls and I will try to find my way around this issue. Its just that I instinctively try to edit the files using graphical editor and only to realize that I dont have permissions when saving. Or when I fire up ftp client to make a back up to realize I have to do all over again as gksudo.... I guess I am just not used to the workflow, but I promise I will get there.

just make a root file manager launcher & use that.

asmoore82
March 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM
You should definitely not edit the files as root all the time.

You should give your regular user account permission to work with the files.

Either assign ownership to your account or maybe even better to assign group ownership
to some group like "wwwmods" and give make your account a member of that group.