PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Force boot after improper shutdown

PlymWS
March 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

I've installed xUbuntu on a machine I will be using as a file server. Everything is fine except one thing. If the server suffers an improper shutdown such as a loss of power the next time the machine boots it gets to the GRUB2 boot menu and then waits for a keyboard input.

As this machine runs headless with nothing connected other than a network cable and power lead and is tucked away under the stairs it's quite an inconvienience to go to the machine and plug in a keyboard so I can press enter.

Is there some way I could force the machine to boot as normal without stopping at the menu ?

TIA for any help.

akand074
March 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
hmm, you can try this:

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

Then go to System > Administration > StartUp-Manager and play around there, they have a feature to set a default OS, wait time before boot to the OS, etc, pretty much a GUI to play around with the Grub file. When I have improper shut-downs it still auto-boots into my Ubuntu (I put it as my default and wait time as 0s, its my only OS on this computer).

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Have you edited the grub config files to "miss out" the grub menu and just boot?

PlymWS
March 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Have you edited the grub config files to "miss out" the grub menu and just boot?
Not yet. What would I have to do to achieve this ? The only file I've looked at is not to be edited :)