PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen after grub

subjectme
March 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just installed ubuntu 9.10 from a live cd on to a 2nd HDD, with vista on the 1st. When i turn my pc on GRUB comes up and i can select ubuntu or vista, vista works but when i try to boot ubuntu the screen goes black with a small flashing underscore in the top left and then just goes completly black, nothing else happens after this.

I've tried reinstalling from the live cd but when i go install nothing happens and the screen goes black again.

When i was installing i changed the boot to something like scsi?? Not sure if that's the problem though it help.

My PC's specs are:

Dell inspiron 531

HDD1: Ubuntu(300GB)
HDD2: Vista(1TB)

OS
Windows vista

Graphics card.
ATI radeon HD 4700 series

CPU
AMD Athleon 64 x2 6000+

Mainboard
Manufacturer : Dell
Model: 0RY206
BIOS: dell 1.0.13

subjectme
March 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Bump

subjectme
March 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Last bump of anger.

I'm just going to go ahead and have windows, i've never had problems with it and the support for it is much better. Whenever i've tried ubuntu it either can't install correctly or it's good for a short while and then ***** up.

spectralblue
March 14th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Last bump of anger.

I'm just going to go ahead and have windows, i've never had problems with it and the support for it is much better. Whenever i've tried ubuntu it either can't install correctly or it's good for a short while and then ***** up.

EDIT: I see you're using ATI

Have you looked at this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen