PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with install

762sks
March 12th, 2010, 06:24 PM
i have a older system that belongs to my nephew. i am trying to install ubuntu on it. tried to install using the reg install disk the text based install and yesterday i tried the usb. both the text and reg install disks i made load to the dt but when i try to install they hang up on something. i went into the bios and diabled sound network and whatever else i thought of to help. but nothing. the bios gives me the option to boot from the usb but when i try it says linux not found. tried the same flash drive my the wifes newer laptop and it worked great.

so my question is, can i just copy whats on the jump drive over to the drive in the box using a program to include the partions etc. or can i take the hd out of that box put it in the one i am using now, load ubuntu and after the install and requires the restart. shutdown and move the drive back to the original box?

also i have tried to update the bios, but because the board is older i am unable to find any bios updates. its an older 2.2 gig amd processor on what looks like a generic motherboard.

thanks for the help and ideas

762sks
March 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
bump

762sks
March 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM
anybody?

zeroseven0183
March 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Please give us more information about the hardware. You said it's an old computer?
Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit machine?

762sks
March 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
its an older machine i think its just a 32bit. atleast thats the os verzion im trying to install. i think its an ecs board and have found the specs for it online but have been unable to find any of the board updates.

its running an amd 2100 with 1 gig of ram and a ide 60gig hdd.

im sorry i just dont have much more info for you guys.

zeroseven0183
March 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
It's alright. Honestly, I'm having difficulty figuring out what to ask...
1. What version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? Is it the latest version?
2. Where did you get the ISO?
3. Have you tried other Ubuntu derivatives, like Kubuntu or Xubuntu?

It would be hard if you're going to install it on another machine and mount the hard drive back after.