PDA

View Full Version : Just updated to 9.10

themarker0
March 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
And i have to say, what are you all complaining about. I've had no issues, except the 200+ updates i had to do last night :P.

swoll1980
March 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
There is a large amount of people on this forum, who are just here to hate Ubuntu.

madnessjack
March 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I agree with the OP, had no *major* issues myself.

People are more likely to complain if they go through hell than they are to say well done for a seamless experience.

samalex
March 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
And i have to say, what are you all complaining about. I've had no issues, except the 200+ updates i had to do last night :P.

I'm holding out for 10.04 in April personally :) The main things stopping me from upgrading in the beginning were some driver problems reported by other System76 users, but I think most have been ironed out. For me though there's no real advantage to upgrade since my system running 9.04 works pretty good. I want 10.04 for all the new bells and whistles or I'd drive 9.04 alittle longer.

Sam

n0dix
March 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
There is a large amount of people on this forum, who are just here to hate Ubuntu.

Unfortunately is truth. :lolflag:

swoll1980
March 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have installed it on 5 different machines at my house, and they all work fine. When I built my new machine, I made sure all the parts were compatible before I bought them. Amazingly enough it works too.

ctrlmd
March 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
i haven't seen any problem with 910
but can i ask you a question why did you update now
and the new version will be released soon :-s

swoll1980
March 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
i haven't seen any problem with 910
but can i ask you a question why did you update now
and the new version will be released soon :-s

Alot of people wait until the end of the release cycle to update. There are alot of patches ready for you, if you do it this way.

ctrlmd
March 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Alot of people wait until the end of the release cycle to update. There are alot of patches ready for you, if you do it this way.
that because they worry too much i would enjoy the moment of using new release when it released

samh785
March 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm holding out for 10.04 in April personally :) The main things stopping me from upgrading in the beginning were some driver problems reported by other System76 users, but I think most have been ironed out. For me though there's no real advantage to upgrade since my system running 9.04 works pretty good. I want 10.04 for all the new bells and whistles or I'd drive 9.04 alittle longer.

Sam
10.04 is working fine on my Pangolin Performance, you should come join the party :]

swoll1980
March 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM
10.04 is working fine on my Pangolin Performance, you should come join the party :]

I'm using 10.04, and I'm constantly getting crash notices. It is in no way stable yet. Only upgrade if you want to help with testing, or if frequent crashes don't bother you.

madnessjack
March 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
No there isn't! :P

People just love to moan :)

gnupipe
March 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Congrats. :)

Tikkyca
March 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
No lags at all,Ubuntu is awsome.

themarker0
March 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
ctrlmd-I personally only update twice a year. Once now, and once in 6 months. It just doesn't align with the cycle, and i never use brand new things. Windows wise i am just moving to vista.

swoll1980- 1)I have seen many complaints here about 9.10 and various unfix bugs that interfere with daily use. So i thought i would just state that those have been untrue for me. 2) Not completely, as i said, my cycle just doesn't align with Ubuntu's. I think i had it aligned with Mandriva before, but then i fell out of it, going back to windows for a bit.

gnupipe- Thank you.

MichealH
March 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I had some problems on 9.10 one more obvious is the Graphics cos I got a SIS card (sigh) bu no probs but 10.04 is a bit hard I cant install it because of the graphics (*sighs again*)

Post Monkeh
March 12th, 2010, 09:44 PM
ctrlmd-I personally only update twice a year. Once now, and once in 6 months. It just doesn't align with the cycle, and i never use brand new things. Windows wise i am just moving to vista.

swoll1980- 1)I have seen many complaints here about 9.10 and various unfix bugs that interfere with daily use. So i thought i would just state that those have been untrue for me. 2) Not completely, as i said, my cycle just doesn't align with Ubuntu's. I think i had it aligned with Mandriva before, but then i fell out of it, going back to windows for a bit.

gnupipe- Thank you.

most of the time there's probably a good logic to going for older, more stable software, but vista really is awful.

can't speak for windows 7 as i haven't used it, but i wouldn't recomend vista unless you've no hair left to rip out.

samh785
March 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I'm using 10.04, and I'm constantly getting crash notices. It is in no way stable yet. Only upgrade if you want to help with testing, or if frequent crashes don't bother you.
I guess I'm just lucky :P

subedistra7
March 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM

the code chimps have had 4 months to fix and patch probs. thats probably why you had no crap to deal with.

OldMerovingian
March 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I installed 10.04 yesterday and had a few crashes, but nothing serious. Occasionally I would get a black screen, and could not get to any prompt or anything. This forced me to downgrade back to 9.10 because I use my computer for school and cant have that happening. I think it has to do with the open source ATI graphics driver. Also, 2.6.32 provides the open source driver, but that driver does not control the fan and drains my battery life something fierce.

I have been using 9.10 since the beta though, and have never had any issues with it. I had bugs with Fedora, OpenSuse and recently the Alpha 3, but that is to be expected. Ubuntu is amazing!

themarker0
March 13th, 2010, 01:01 AM
most of the time there's probably a good logic to going for older, more stable software, but vista really is awful.

can't speak for windows 7 as i haven't used it, but i wouldn't recomend vista unless you've no hair left to rip out.

I've used 7 and vista. To be honest 7 has way to much extra crap that i don't need. It looks unprofessional, and too many of my programs aren't compatible.

Also its sad, because even though i am quite young, i am starting to bald :( Stalking much ? :P:P

sports fan Matt
March 13th, 2010, 04:32 AM
The only thing that has crashed frequently with my system is plymouth. It's to be expected though.