PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server with GUI and Zimbra

raghouse
March 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi,
I am completely new to Ubuntu so please make your answers really simple !

I want to set up a mail server for a home network and have been suggested I use the Ubuntu solutions.
I am fairly proficient with Windows programs and even construct databases but I am a complete novice when it comes to command line instructions. Yes, I know I have been spoon fed!

I have been told that it is possible to install Server programs from the Desktop version and that they provide a GUI in most cases. Is that so?

I have the desktop version running and up to date but I am unsure what to do next. Starting the Server ISO CD from Desktop seemed logical but when I did I was not sure if it was correct and backed out.

I have also read a thread on this forum that suggests the use of Zimbra as a Mail Server, it sounded like my kind of solution so I think I would like to try that.

One last factor. I have an existing P2P network (2 Vista, 1 Mac Book and this Ub' desktop/server) running already which uses the Router for DNS. I suspect I am going to have to do things in a certain order if I am not going to go backwards and ruin the families email and surfing!

Thanks in advance.