PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changes in mdraid 9.04 to 9.1

bbabb
March 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm a noob so bear with me here. I was hoping to install Ubuntu 9.1 Cloud Server on my DELL E510 Dimension for the past few days and it's failing miserably. I have 2 1TB SATA drives that I need to create a raid with and the system has the Intel Storage Matrix (fakeraid) configured in the Motherboard. I have walked through all the different ways from Ubuntu pages and 3rd party sites and it simply just doesn't work. I keep getting the ever so fun statement GRUB rescue (cannot find C/H/S)

The catch all, for giggles (and pure frustration) I downed the version to Ubuntu Server 9.04 configured the raid and it went flawlessly.

I was really hoping to try the cloud as I have a small business and really wanted to create a load balancing / fail safe server(s) to handle all of my data and processing needs.

Side note, I find out my 2 Servers do not handle virtualization, so does it make trying to install Cloud a moot point?

Should I use a GRID server? if so, should I use http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Linux_Gridserver,_the_ubuntu_way (they boast, and state they are a certified Ubuntu grid system, but I can't find them referred by Ubuntu anywhere) or should I use opennebula? (i'm so confused)

Any information or direction you can give me would be much appreciated. I have a lot of plans in my business that will be Linux based and I was really liking Ubuntu, ESPECIALLY 9.1 Desktop, since they really nailed down the graphic quality issue.

Thank you in advanced