PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No graphical user interface

hbchrist1
March 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I have ubuntu running as the only operating system on two computers, and thought it would be a fine idea to install it side-by-side with Windows 7 on my wife's new Sony Vaio laptop as well. This laptop actually has both windows 7 and some stunted version of vista installed by default, vista is accessible by pressing a "web" button instead of starting up the computer. This loads up vista with only a browser window available.

Anyway, I tried ubuntu first on this computer by booting up a live cd, and all went well. I then installed using the wizard with everything set to default. There were no error messages.

When I start the computer, I get a choice of operating systems. If I choose ubuntu, it starts by showing the fancy fade-in-fade-out ubuntu logo, followed by a terminal login screen. If I do login using that login screen, all I get is a terminal prompt. There is no terminal window - the terminal covers the whole screen.

So I have two questions:
- What might be wrong and how could it be fixed?
- In a worst case scenario, is it possible to remove ubuntu and rezise the windows partition to cover the whole harddisk? I vaguely recall a warning to the contrary in the installation wizard.

Thanks in advance!

Dayofswords
March 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
(i'm anoob, but i've seen a similar thing to get graphics to work)
start up and login in again,
then type
sudo startx
idk if sudo is required

you should see the login menu or desktop, not sure

hbchrist1
March 12th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I forgot to mention that I installed ubuntu version 9.10.

hbchrist1
March 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Apparently, sufficiently many others have had the same problem that there is a sticky thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305459) about it - the thread description was just not informative to me, hence I didn't find it before posting.