PDA

View Full Version : Run Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on Linux

quandar
March 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Introduction
Hands down, it is often agreed that EAC is the best CD ripper out there. And it was one of the things I took for granted when I switched. So basically, I set out to use it using WINE, and really, its just as fast, and runs perfectly, no problems in any feature from what I can see.

http://gui.deletefactory.net/ubuntu/wine1.png
(If you want to make WINE look better without msstyles read this guide (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=142741).)

Configuring WINE: Part I
Open your terminal in type in:

winecfg
And go to the "Drives" tab, and press the "Autodetect..." button.
It should scan for drives, and find a handful of them. Find /media/cdrom drives, if you have more than one then apply this step to all of them. Click on the drive letter ( in my case E: ) and press the "Show Advanced" button, and then select the "Type" of the drive to be "CD-ROM", apply to every drive that is a CD drive, and press "OK".

Installing EAC
Download the installer for Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac-0.95b4.exe), then double-click eac-0.95b4.exe on the downloaded file and simply install like any other app.

Configuring WINE: Part II
Go into your terminal and type:

winecfg
and in the Applications tab, press the "Add Applcation" button and browse to EAC.exe, and click on it and select a NT operating system from the Windows select box (those being NT/2000/XP), and press "OK".
As it launches cancel the wizard, and press F9, and under the "Interface" tab, select "Native Win32 Interface for NT/2000/XP". Press "OK", and restart the app. Put a CD in your drive, and hopefully all will go well.
You should now be able to simply launch by using
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exein your favorite terminal.

whythehellcantilogon
March 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi, I am super glad that I have, because to you, finally gotten EAC to work without booting back into windows. Thanks.

There is just one thing that I would like to mention that might save some folks a little bit of time.

When I was setting up the drives in the initial 'winecfg' I needed to have cds in the drives or else they wouldn't stay set to CD-ROM, they would switch back to Local Hard Disk.

And I believe this is a fault on my end but I can't get the EAC.desktop file to work, for some reason it just won't start. Copying the command to the terminal works just fine and is sufficient for me so I am not going to worry to much.

-Erik

Edit: Considering the user below me is having the same problem with the shortcut it might not be my fault but I am not knowledgeable enough to fix it.

PtS
March 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM
EAC doesn't find any cd drives. I've changed /media/cdrom0 from autodetect to cd drive in winecfg. When I started EAC in terminal (I can't get the shortcut I made in the menu to work) I get these error messages:

[fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "CD Title " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "CD Artist " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Year " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Genre " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "freedb " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text " Various Artists " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Load" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Save" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "New" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
Somebody with same problem or a solution to it?

junior aspirin
March 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
note: this is not bashing or a flame

i am just wondering why you would want to use eac unter linux. isnt that what sound juicer does, it also rips them into lovely oggs rather than mpee3s? i would rather have it the other way round sound juicer on windows, but thats just me, ill settle with cdex, as it ripps to ogg.

PtS
March 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
i am just wondering why you would want to use eac unter linux. isnt that what sound juicer does, it also rips them into lovely oggs rather than mpee3s? i would rather have it the other way round sound juicer on windows, but thats just me, ill settle with cdex, as it ripps to ogg.
Why I don't use ogg? Because my Mp3 player (USB) can't play ogg. If it could, I would definitely use ogg.

stu
March 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM
EAC can also rip into Ogg Vorbis, but the idea is that it works very hard to get a PERFECT copy.

Sound-Juicer and most other CD-rippers will sometimes let errors through (often very minor and probably inaudible ones)... and paranoid folks like to make sure they are getting a quality rip.

Syco54645
March 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM
originally posted by junior aspirin
note: this is not bashing or a flame

it should also be noted that eac is the only app that is accepted for ripping live recording that have been burnt to cd audio. top quality guide quandar.

-Syco54645

whythehellcantilogon
March 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
EAC doesn't find any cd drives. I've changed /media/cdrom0 from autodetect to cd drive in winecfg. When I started EAC in terminal (I can't get the shortcut I made in the menu to work) I get these error messages:

I believe you need to tell EAC to use the Win32 interface. I was able to recreate your error when I switched from Win32 to the default.

Start EAC-->press F9 --> click on the interfaces tab --> select the native win32 interface.

Hope this helps.

-Erik

Parkotron
March 16th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Again, not trying to flame or anything, but does EAC do anything quality-wise that cdparanoia in full paranoia mode doesn't? Personally, I've always used abcde to rip my CDs but there are plenty of GUI front ends for the paranoia library, too. I guess I'm saying why go through the effort of wine when there are native and open source programs that are (as far as I know) just as good?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and EAC does something that cdparanoia doesn't. Any additional info from someone more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

dpaint4
March 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I never thought this would happen thank you so much. This is great. Now I can believe in my rips and I can use all the latest codecs by just pointing the program towards whatever command line encoder I want. I missed AoTuV Vorbis soooooooo much. This rocks. Thanks for making there be 100% no reason for me to ever need to boot back to Windows.

klahjn
March 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I never thought this would happen thank you so much. This is great. Now I can believe in my rips and I can use all the latest codecs by just pointing the program towards whatever command line encoder I want. I missed AoTuV Vorbis soooooooo much. This rocks. Thanks for making there be 100% no reason for me to ever need to boot back to Windows.

i'm guessing you like EAC?

dpaint4
March 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM
i'm guessing you like EAC?

Yeah. I really really do. It's not just blind faith in the program, but there really are great features, like multiple passes to ensure and compare for accuracy, at seemingly no cost to speed.

And like easily switching out command line codecs without touching or effecting the rest of your system. (That's a BIG one for me, because I always like to have the latest codecs, but I don't like to have to put my cute little Ubuntu laptop through all the stress of making and updatinng multiple system-wide media engine changes and the like.)

Yeah, this changes everything. I'm so glad you found a configuration that works (and boy does it!).

Syco54645
March 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Parkotron
Again, not trying to flame or anything, but does EAC do anything quality-wise that cdparanoia in full paranoia mode doesn't? Personally, I've always used abcde to rip my CDs but there are plenty of GUI front ends for the paranoia library, too. I guess I'm saying why go through the effort of wine when there are native and open source programs that are (as far as I know) just as good?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and EAC does something that cdparanoia doesn't. Any additional info from someone more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

i am not sure if it does, but it is what etree says to use to rip live concernts from cd. i posted that before. they say that if you must to use cdparanoia. everyone that i have talked to has preferred eac over any other program regardless of if they use linux windows or mac. eac running in wine isnt really anything new, i just never had a need to do it and i really give dan props for figuring it out, just as i got dc++ to work in wine. others have done it, i just figured it out on my own. i should make a guide for it. so the moral is that i have no idea how eac and cdparanoia compare, but i would think that they have basically the same feature set. windows stuff in wine isnt new, people just dont try it.

-Syco54645

ps dan i didnt put you down, if you have a problem with my post come fight me Christmas day on the roof down 20 Oxford street!!!! Oi Oi!

VCSkier
March 20th, 2006, 04:47 AM
iirc, cdparanoia is practically worthless on drives that cache audio data (most new drives), where as EAC has a feature to flush the cache after every read (at the expense of some speed). it is commonly accepted on hydrogenaudio.org, the digital audio forum, that EAC is the best ripper available.

edit: ps, thank you very much quandar, this makes my transition much easier and more plesant. thank you so much.

VCSkier
March 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
now if only i can get the new foobar2000 0.9 to work through wine... any suggestions?

muishkin
March 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
now if only i can get the new foobar2000 0.9 to work through wine... any suggestions?

Foobar2000 0.9 is running fine here in wine. I think it runs fine as long as you don't try out the column_ui plugin.

bionnaki
March 26th, 2006, 06:32 AM
does eac allow you to transcode .shn files to, say, ogg or mp3?

VCSkier
March 26th, 2006, 08:14 AM
nope. eac just rips/encodes, and burns on occasion. :)

bionnaki
March 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM
I vaguely remember being able to transcode files in eac back in my windows days...2 or 3 years ago. can anyone else confirm this?

quandar
March 29th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I am fairly sure EAC does not do transcoding, if you want to do that I suggest picking up the GNOME app soundconverter, its really quite nice, try it.

bionnaki
March 29th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I have that, but it does not do .shn

MetalMusicAddict
March 29th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Nice guide sir. Ive always been an Audiograbber man myself. I have it working under WINE. I like Grip but I cant get help with it and I cant figure some things out so I still use AG. ;)

VCSkier
March 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
has anyone been able to get AccurateRip to work w/ EAC under wine yet? it dosen't seem to be working for me, but again, i've very new all all this.

edit: nevermind. it works now. i was just being dumb. :)

hugmenot
March 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM
iirc, cdparanoia is practically worthless on drives that cache audio data (most new drives), where as EAC has a feature to flush the cache after every read (at the expense of some speed). it is commonly accepted on hydrogenaudio.org, the digital audio forum, that EAC is the best ripper available.

To calm you fanatics down a little bit...
Flushing the cache on drives that do that is the only feature that EAC has in advantage to other rippers like cdparanoia. This is the crucial point. As soon as you know your drive doesn't cache cdparanoia, CDex and the new Foobar2000 secure ripper are just as secure. They read twice, compare and by this pretty much establish that the rip is unflawed.
I have a fairly recent laptop. The drive doesn't cache. Many other laptop cd drives I saw don't cache as well.
I really don't think it's worth the fuzzy warm feeling. Peter Pawlowski would comment with “meh” on that. I mean back then I even setup AccurateRip in EAC to determine the read-in and write-in offsets shuffling through dozens of CDs to find a known reference disc. Nowadays I see it's completely useless.

VCSkier
March 30th, 2006, 07:33 PM
sorry if this is another dumb question, but i'm having a hard time getting it to use the linux version of oggenc. do i have to use the windows version, oggenc.exe? or am i doing something wrong?

hugmenot
April 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
oggenc.exe

M3ta7h3ad
April 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Nice one. Just found this how-to after searching for some software to do the same thing on linux. Glad EAC is available through wine. zero learning curve for me :) Tiz fantastic.

Good work boyo :)

marsanpin
April 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Almost there but some problems:

I followed this how-to and got wine installed,
mario@ubuntu01:~$ wine --version
Wine 0.9.11

then, for some unknown reason (to me) after writing the "EAC.desktop" (where should it be saved? ~/ or ~/.wine/.../EAC/ ?, I saved to ~) simply doesn't work.

if I start from command line,
mario@ubuntu01:~$ wine EAC.exe
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\EAC.exe": Module not found
I get above error message.

On winecfg I really don't know which emulation is the appropriate (for Breezy-gnome), NT4, NT3.5, Win2000, XP ...:confused:
](*,)
Can someone enlight me about this?
I'm so close to get some Hi-Quality rips... :-|

Thanks a lot.
Mario

Syco54645
April 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM

quod libet is basically foobar for linux. the version in dapper is great.

Slim Odds
April 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
nope. eac just rips/encodes, and burns on occasion. :)

More specifically, it rips Audio CD's only.

Slim Odds
April 25th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I am fairly sure EAC does not do transcoding, if you want to do that I suggest picking up the GNOME app soundconverter, its really quite nice, try it.

EAC can call an external program to do the transcoding for each track that it rips.

quandar
April 26th, 2006, 02:36 AM
EAC can call an external program to do the transcoding for each track that it rips.

Actually EAC dosn't transcode at all, what you are thinking of is encoding from a WAV to any sort of external encoder.
And EAC dosn't only just rip audio CDs, it also can burn them (it has a full featured audio writing area in the program).

VCSkier
using the word "transcoding" in this context is misleading... i think it is clearer to say that EAC rips the tracks into pcm waves (images or individual tracks), and then can optionally call a command line encoder to encode the wav files.

edit: quandar beat me to it.

quandar
quod libet is basically foobar for linux. the version in dapper is great.
I second this, QuodLibet is absolutely fantastic.

VCSkier
April 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM
I second this, QuodLibet is absolutely fantastic.
thanks, ill try it out.

Slim Odds
April 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
using the word "transcoding" in this context is misleading... i think it is clearer to say that EAC rips the tracks into pcm waves (images or individual tracks), and then can optionally call a command line encoder to encode the wav files.

edit: quandar beat me to it.

True, I simply used the same word that was in the original quote.

EAC rips PCM audio and can call an external program to convert to a compressed audio format.

kotti
June 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the guide. I too was having problems with EAC not recognicing either of my drives even though I followed all the instructions. I searched around for a bit and found THIS (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-386370.html) page which had the cure for me. I'll quote:

Wine does really oddball things when trying to detect CDROM drives with ide-cd. It does not recognize I am a member of the cdrom group, it seems to only check for ownership of the device file. The only way to get it to work with EAC is for the current user to be the owner of the CDROM device file (/dev/hdc is used in this example.) Before you run Wine, you need to make sure that you are the owner:

computer ~ $ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw---- 1 danomac cdrom 22, 0 Jan 10 17:57 /dev/hdc

To set it manually, use chown as root (danomac is the username used in this example):

root@computer ~ $ chown danomac /dev/hdc

Replace 'danomac' above with your own username!

I'm still having problems getting EAC (or wine itself, I'm not sure) to recognise my second drive which is better suited (i.e. faster :)) for ripping but I'll have to look into that later. I was having the same problem (no recognised drives) with DVDDecrypter earlier, I'll check if this little 'trick' helps with that too.

Edit: Yes, DVDDecrypter finds one drive now too. Using 6.06 Dapper by the way.

citizenkeith
July 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Finishing Touches
Go into your terminal and type:

gedit EAC.desktop
and in that file put in:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=0.95
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=No name
Type=Application
Exec=wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\\ Files/Exact\\ Audio\\ Copy/EAC.exe
TryExec=
Icon=gnome-dev-cdrom-audio.png
X-GNOME-DocPath=
Terminal=false
Name[en]=Exact Audio Copy
GenericName[en]=Exact Audio Copy
Comment[en]=Rips CDs, Exact Audio Copy using WINE.

and then proceed to click on the launcher in Nautilus.

Everything works perfectly, except for this one. When I click on the new EAC icon, nothing happens.

Otherwise everything works fine. I launch from the command line instead of using the icon. :) Thanks for the tutorial! In the past, when using Fedora, I was never able to use EAC. This is makes life easier, since I'm creating a music server and I want good log files for each rip.

yaztromo
July 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Running Kubuntu Dapper

Everytime I change the drive option to "Native Win2000/NT interface", EAC will crash next time it is opened.

Anyone else with Kubuntu got it working?

citizenkeith
July 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
I've been using EAC in wine to make FLAC files. I have the Compression tab setup to pass to FLAC.exe, which I copied over from my Windows partition.

When I look at the properties of each file (right-click > Propertied), it lists the File Type as MP3, even though it really is a FLAC file. In EAC, I have the compressor set to "User Defined," the extension set to .flac, and the following command line options:

T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

The Bit Rate dropdown menu is still available, and it is set to 128 kBit/s. When I do this in Windows, it doesn't effect FLAC encoding.

Any ideas?

Keith

PS I'm still having trouble with the EAC short-cut (see my last post).

fhqwhgads
July 15th, 2006, 02:01 AM
oops, didn't realize this was a howto thread, sorry :-#

spooner
October 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Just thought I'd mention that if you want a clickable link to EAC then add it to the menu using Alacarte Menu Editor and the command

xterm -hold -e wine /home/uname/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exe

with uname replaced with your user name.
This solves the terminal from closing straight after the wine command is run (closing wine doh!). Please note that for some reason(that I'm not too bothered about) it doesn't work with the ~ command so the full path needs to be used hence the need to replace uname with your username.

Stormx
October 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I can't get it to install. The installer loads, etc. Gets to

Extract: EAC.exe

Then freezes. I get this on the console:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e9dc000 "x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 000c, blocked by 000b, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e6af000 "x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 000d, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
wine: Critical section 7e9dc000 wait failed at address 0x7efaddf0 (thread 000c), starting debugger...
Modules:
Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
Threads:
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000a (D) (null)
0000000c 0
0000000b 0
0000000d 0
00000009 0
wine client error:b: write: Bad file descriptor
wine: Critical section 7e6af000 wait failed at address 0x7efaddf0 (thread 000d), starting debugger...
Modules:
Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
Threads:
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
00000008 (D) (null)
0000000d 0
00000009 0

philbar
December 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Running Kubuntu Dapper

Everytime I change the drive option to "Native Win2000/NT interface", EAC will crash next time it is opened.

Anyone else with Kubuntu got it working?

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy and had the same problem.

When I went back into winecfg I noticed the cd drive that was autodetected was not there so I redetected it and clicked "apply" rather than "ok" and then ran EAC will winecfg was still open. Unfortunately, when I close winecfg it loses my CD drive so I have to manually do that. If anyone knows how to fix that I'd love to hear about it.

Stormx
December 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
ISSUES! Using external compressor...

Looks very much like EAC is feeding the wrong file into the compresser. In this case its LAME. Heres the output its giving when I wine EAC.exe

Could not find "d:\BEIR~GFY\0tmp1!542.wav".
Could not find "d:\BEIR~GFY\0tmp660-!.wav".
Could not find "d:\BEIR~GFY\0tmp556)!.wav".
Could not find "d:\BEIR~GFY\0tmp58)58.wav".

That "BEIR~GFY" should be beirut - gulag orkestar

I'ma try this on ext3, see if its any different!

old_geekster
February 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Just thought I'd mention that if you want a clickable link to EAC then add it to the menu using Alacarte Menu Editor and the command

xterm -hold -e wine /home/uname/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exe

with uname replaced with your user name.
This solves the terminal from closing straight after the wine command is run (closing wine doh!). Please note that for some reason(that I'm not too bothered about) it doesn't work with the ~ command so the full path needs to be used hence the need to replace uname with your username.
I installed EAC. It works great. I made the clickable link as suggested and that works well, also.

Since I have never used EAC before, it will take some experimenting to get things down pat.

4cpo
February 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I had the problem of no CDROM detected in EAC.

Got the problem solved after removing all/any free drive letters in winecfg.

4cpo
February 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I've been using EAC in wine to make FLAC files. I have the Compression tab setup to pass to FLAC.exe, which I copied over from my Windows partition.

When I look at the properties of each file (right-click > Propertied), it lists the File Type as MP3, even though it really is a FLAC file. In EAC, I have the compressor set to "User Defined," the extension set to .flac, and the following command line options:

T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

The Bit Rate dropdown menu is still available, and it is set to 128 kBit/s. When I do this in Windows, it doesn't effect FLAC encoding.

Any ideas?

Keith

PS I'm still having trouble with the EAC short-cut (see my last post).

I followed the information on this page:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Flac

I have not had the problem you describe - the files are all in FLAC.

Elim
February 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
I believe you need to tell EAC to use the Win32 interface. I was able to recreate your error when I switched from Win32 to the default.

Start EAC-->press F9 --> click on the interfaces tab --> select the native win32 interface.

Hope this helps.

-Erik
I tried to do this, but when I run EAC the only interface available is "Installed external ASPI interface"; the "Native Win32 interface" is greyed out. Any idea what's going on, and how to fix it?

Jarn
February 27th, 2007, 01:24 AM
When I switch to the Native interface and restart the program, it freezes when it comes up. I have to forcefully terminate it and when I open it then it is back to using the default.

EDIT: Uninstalling and reinstalling EAC fixed it. I <3 this guide. Thanks guys!

Jay1
March 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I tried to do this, but when I run EAC the only interface available is "Installed external ASPI interface"; the "Native Win32 interface" is greyed out. Any idea what's going on, and how to fix it?

I had this problem too.

Check in the ~/.wine/dosdevices/ directory for a pair of links for your optical drive. Mine has d: --> /media/cdrom0 and d:: --> /dev/hdc.

I had to create the second link with the command:

ln -s /dev/hdc d::

Note: The second : is not a typo.

-Jay

PyroMessiah
April 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm new. When you install EAC, where can I find the exe file? I'm used to Program Files of course. :confused:

stokedfish
April 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM
1. EAC is *by far* the best ripper for *scratched* CDs
2. EAC is not better than linux rippers in any way for unscratched CDs
3. OGG sucks. I much prefer MP3. Why? You can't even hard-gain OGGs, no thanks...

MetalMusicAddict
April 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
For anyone looking for a native solution please look at my GRIP HOW-TO (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183125hp?t=25151).

ajm2005
April 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
:)

ajm2005
April 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm new. When you install EAC, where can I find the exe file? I'm used to Program Files of course. :confused:

it's stored in the hidden ".wine" directory in your home (~/) folder. the exact location is:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Exact Audio Copy/EAC.exe

Starting from your home directory, type (in a terminal window):

cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/Exact Audio Copy"

to change to the Exact Audio Copy directory. From here you can type:

wine EAC.exe

to launch Exact Audio Copy.

Or you can type straight from your home directory:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exe

You can set up either icons, or a little script, to launch the program (so you don't have to type the above every time you want to run the program).

beachreader
April 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
this command line ; wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exe is a lot memorize....is there a way to create a short cut. thanks!!

beachreader
April 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
how do uninstall EAC...I am having lots of problems and cna't find the files anywhere. thanks!

eyelessfade
April 23rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
if its the only wine program you have installed, just do a rm -rf ~/.wine

eyelessfade
April 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
To bad that EAC doesn't run native on linux. Most of what makes EAC great is gpl or bsd lisence so it would be nice if he gave back and released the source.

HeelsFan
April 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I was able to run EAC in WINE great. I even was able to use a LAME encoder with a specific preset.

My only issue is that when I rip CDs I have EAC automatically delete the WAV files and just keep the MP3s. While running EAC in WINE, it did not delete the WAV files and in addition did not label my MP3 files correctly. The MP3 file names remained the temporary file names for some reason.

Anyone run into this problem and have a solution?

Thanks in advance!

ajm2005
May 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM

brodiepearce
May 12th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I can't get it to detect my CD-Drive, When I do the "Auto detect NOW" under the drive settings menu (F10), "No Audio CD Detected" pops up immediately.

JamesAt43
May 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM
when I try to retrieve track information from the online freedb database (Process batch freedb queries, from the Database menu) the program freezes. I end up having to kill it via ctrl-alt-escape, which leaves a zombie processes that hangs around forever. anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have the same problem. I haven't figured out why.

yahooadam
May 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, I have the same problem. I haven't figured out why.
im geting exactly the same problem

does anyone have any ideas on this, anything to do with cddb and it crashes ....

Im using EAC0.9B4 (which is required for "uber" standard rips)

Jarn
June 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
When I try to switch it to the Native Win32 ASPI and then restart EAC, it freezes when it opens and I'm left with it at the Installed external ASPI.

EDIT: Fixed this, turns out the problem has something to do with installing EAC when Wine doesn't like your drive setup. I deleted the ~/.wine/dosdevices folder, ran wineprefixcreate, had it autodetect my drives, and reinstalled.

However, I, too, am now having the problem where it freezes while trying to contact freedb. I am currently trying to run it with winedebug set to all and saving the output to a file, but it's moving very slow from all the output that I'm not sure I'll ever get there and the log file has surpassed the 750mb mark.

yahooadam
June 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
When I try to switch it to the Native Win32 ASPI and then restart EAC, it freezes when it opens and I'm left with it at the Installed external ASPI.

EDIT: Fixed this, turns out the problem has something to do with installing EAC when Wine doesn't like your drive setup. I deleted the ~/.wine/dosdevices folder, ran wineprefixcreate, had it autodetect my drives, and reinstalled.

However, I, too, am now having the problem where it freezes while trying to contact freedb. I am currently trying to run it with winedebug set to all and saving the output to a file, but it's moving very slow from all the output that I'm not sure I'll ever get there and the log file has surpassed the 750mb mark.
is it checking the CDDB, and do you see anything at all ?

Also does the command line come up with any errors ?

Jarn
June 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
No errors in the command line. It happens at connecting. It freezes then.

spooner
June 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
when I try to retrieve track information from the online freedb database (Process batch freedb queries, from the Database menu) the program freezes. I end up having to kill it via ctrl-alt-escape, which leaves a zombie processes that hangs around forever. anyone else have this problem?

What version of wine are you using?
Type "wine --version" in command window.
I had this problem when I upgraded to the new 0.9.38 version in the wine repositories. If you switch back to 0.9.33 in the standard repos it works fine again.
Also, if you want to simulate a windows reboot the command "wineboot" is useful
I also noticed that only the first word was being displayed per line of code. I hope this does not become and accepted version as that would suck! Way too buggy to be a release!

ajm2005
August 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM

ChrisNiemy
August 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
when running winecfg before, you should switch in the settings to Windows 2000 or WinXP. Then you should choose in the EAC setting the use of the native interface. Restart EAC, then it should work.

When EAC freezes run winecfg and disable some graphic features, no directx, no acceleration, not using metacity as window manager etc.

iceolate
August 19th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I'm having a problem with it. I set up everything fine, but it's doesn't like my read commands. I specified MMC1 in the drive settings, but it tells me i don't have the right one. Can someone help?

flowbot
October 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I was able to run EAC in WINE great. I even was able to use a LAME encoder with a specific preset.

My only issue is that when I rip CDs I have EAC automatically delete the WAV files and just keep the MP3s. While running EAC in WINE, it did not delete the WAV files and in addition did not label my MP3 files correctly. The MP3 file names remained the temporary file names for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

Same problem for me, using Wine repos (not ubuntu ones) .... no solution from me, though :(

Nike T
December 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Help, I switched over, since I think that this is better than Windows. I want to use eac with React. I'm using wine 0.9.5 and eac V.99 prebeta 3. I downloaded it and installed it, I tried to change it to native win32 whatever and it always freezes, I tried everything here, at least twice for all of them. It just doesn't work. And also React would work on ubuntu right? O yea and I can't do anything with freedb either that freezes it too, and I don't know what to do

VCSkier
December 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM
For those having difficulties, I'd recommend Rubyripper. Check it out here (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Rubyripper) or here (http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/). K3B can also be good, if you need images and cue sheet's, though it's rather big and bloated, and not completely secure.

VCSkier
December 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
abcde (A Better CD Encoder) is also an excellent ripper, but it is command-line only. It seems to me to have the most extensive set of features, which can all be configured rather easily by editing the configuration file. It can be found in in the Universe repo. It's not secure either, but supports replaygain, as well as ripping to single-file FLAC's w/ embedded cue sheets, and some other excellent and unique features.

coderipper
February 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Same problem for me, using Wine repos (not ubuntu ones) .... no solution from me, though :(

Thanks in advance!

Press F11 (Compression Options) and select the "Waveform" tab.

Check the box "Do not write WAV header to file"

Enter the file extension ".mp3" then click on "OK".

You're done. Ripped filenames will now end with ".mp3".

waldbauernbub
March 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I solved the problem (on my machine, hope it works for you, too)

Problem:
EAC doesn't recognize my CD drives and I am not able to select the "Native Win32 Interface for NT/2000/XP" in the EAC interfaces option
(as described at the beginning of this thread)

under the drive tab in Alt+F2 winecfg I had 3 CD-drives listed although I only have 2 installed:
K: /media/cdrom0
L: /media/cdrom1
M: /media/cdrom2 (this is the drive that doesn't exist)

I deleted the third drive (in the wincfg) and now I can apply the all setting in EAC and have just ripped my first CD under Ubuntu.

Attention: Maybe this third drives serves any purpose I am not familiar with.

much luck
harald

sm2uyn
May 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've had EAC running flawlessly for about 6 months, but when I started it today I got some unexpected behaviour:

Either (1) program freezes after a while. If not before then when trying to rip. or (2) EAC accualy starts ripping (or what to call it), but doesn't spin up CD and produces 40 sec files of silence.

Anyone who knows if this is related to wine 0.9.61, (K)Ubuntu 8.04 or to something else? I haven't installed any programs through wine or made any changes to my wine configuration except upgrading a few versions since ripping was last working ok two weeks ago.

I've noticed that the device ID reported in EAC has changed, and another application I run through wine (CATraxx music database) can no longer scan CDs.

chooban
May 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've just been having similar problems with EAC. It would hang on gap detection, or when I tried to rip the disc it would spin up and then just get no further.

I seem to have got around the issue by using the 2.6.22-14 kernel that comes with Hardy. It's ripping at the moment, anyway!

Craig73
July 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I've just been having similar problems with EAC. It would hang on gap detection, or when I tried to rip the disc it would spin up and then just get no further.

I seem to have got around the issue by using the 2.6.22-14 kernel that comes with Hardy. It's ripping at the moment, anyway!

Can you clarify - did you go to a newer or an older kernel? I'm running Kernel 2.6.24-19-generic with Hardy and I am getting the same symptoms.

jaems-kun
July 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
hmm, I can't get the files to encode in flac. It doesn't turn any errors up or anything, eac says "running external codec program", but the files stay uncompressed wav.

I was using the included flac.exe, I tried installing the windows flac from the flac website. It installed, but during the process it gave me an error saying a file couldn't be installed properly, it didn't tell me what exactly, but it said that flac frontend might not work (which it doesn't, the window just closes as soon I open it). I figured that shouldn't be a big deal since I wouldn't be using the frontend anyway, but the results with eac were the same, so maybe I do need the frontend?

Can I whine about that here or is there a more specific flac thread I should be checking out?

stepdown
September 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Just followed this guide with 0.99pb4, and used the FLAC.exe included with the install.

Worked perfectly.

canakas
October 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi community,

Very nice guide indeed.

One tip that should not pass us by, in case EAC stops detecting your drives for some reason after you reboot is this:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/2007-June/027348.html

What it suggests is to put a data cd in the drive, let it mount, then use winecfg to make sure the /media/yourmounteddisc is set as a CDROM.
Now restart EAC and your drive will be detected. Switch to an audio CD and get started.

This worked for me after having EAC not detect the drive anymore after a reboot.

Now I can use the drive tests in EAC, and I have AccurateRip working. Encoding with the FLAC package bundled with EAC works great.

I use UbuntuStudio (Hardy) 2.6.24-21-rt, with Wine 1.1.7 (repo) and EAC 0.99b4. The drive is a NEC 3540 in an external box connected through firewire.

Hope this helps someone :p

-canakas

kgdowley
December 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
hmm, I can't get the files to encode in flac. It doesn't turn any errors up or anything, eac says "running external codec program", but the files stay uncompressed wav.

I was using the included flac.exe, I tried installing the windows flac from the flac website. It installed, but during the process it gave me an error saying a file couldn't be installed properly, it didn't tell me what exactly, but it said that flac frontend might not work (which it doesn't, the window just closes as soon I open it). I figured that shouldn't be a big deal since I wouldn't be using the frontend anyway, but the results with eac were the same, so maybe I do need the frontend?

Can I whine about that here or is there a more specific flac thread I should be checking out?

I was having a similar problem. I used the wiki guide on hydrogenaudio to configure flac and eac. They recommend to use the "Use external program for compression option". In the 'additional command-line options' box, I put: -5 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

This is where I found an error. There was an extra space after %s, and I'm fairly certain this is what was causing the problem.

You might also consider checking: 'check for external programs return code'. It might help you debug a bit.

Hopefully this helps!

dirty_von_Shotgun
January 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM

This solution worked for me:

Go to your Windows partition C:/Program Files->Exact Audio Copy->Flac and copy Flac.exe to your Ubuntu partition wherever you want.

Then go to EAC compression options and point the external compressor to the Flac.exe file on your ubuntu partition.

I wish I could give better details but I'm ripping a CD right now so I can't look at the options.

Let me know if this helps or if you need me to be clearer on anything.

UncleStinky
February 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Introduction
Installing EAC
Download the installer for Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac-0.95b4.exe), then double-click eac-0.95b4.exe on the downloaded file and simply install like any other app.

This is the first application that I am trying to get working under Wine. So far, no matter what I do, I cannot get the EAC package to install. Here is the error message I receive when double clicking on eac-0.99pb4.exe:

[/media/Data/Download/Software/EAC/eac-0.99pb4.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /media/Data/Download/Software/EAC/eac-0.99pb4.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/Data/Download/Software/EAC/eac-0.99pb4.exe or
/media/Data/Download/Software/EAC/eac-0.99pb4.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/Data/Download/Software/EAC/eac-0.99pb4.exe.ZIP, period.

How do I get EAC to install? Any suggestions?

Thanks

mailforbiz
March 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Sorry, I wish I could help you UncleStinky. For me, EAC worked fine under Wine. The questions I have are: (a) what is the best compressor to use (FLAC, Lame etc) (b) why can't I seem to be create MP3 out of WAVs? I click on the MP3 button in EAC and it brings up the dialog for where to save and it only has WAV as the type to store in the dropdown. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Ok, so I answered my own questions and I'm somewhat embarassed now for asking them. Answer (a): FLAC is a archival-quality format as opposed to mp3 which is what portable players support. Lame still seems to be the best to use for general purpose. Answer (b) Once I installed lame and pointed to it in the external compressor, I was able to get the wav->mp3 working. Hopefully, this will help some newbie someday. :-)

ATL_Braves
March 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Please Help Me!!

I've used EAC w/ WINE for some time. I always converted my CD's to .ogg files without any problems.

Now I want to convert my discs to .mp3 (Rockbox isn't available on my new ipod). I downloaded LAME (from here: http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php) added a new profile with these settings: http://i40.tinypic.com/119uejo.png . The additional command line options I used were: -V 2 –vbr-new –add-id3v2 –ta "%a" –tt "%t" –tg "%m" –tl "%g" –ty "%y" –tn "%n" %s %d . This is the error I get: http://i40.tinypic.com/2vnf72h.png . I have scoured the internet, as well as other forums (here and hydrogen audio), and I cannot find a solution.

Any thoughts?

logos34
March 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM
you could maybe try disabling CRC and using the shortened command line options, as described here:

http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/eac.shtml#CompressionOptionsMP3

check your tag options too

That's what I use and it works fine

DD0C
May 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I just installed EAC on Jaunty Jackalope using the latest Wine (1.0.1 from the repositories). EAC detects my drive, rips the audio track to wave (can see and play it in the directory). But, when using lame as an external compressor, I get this error:

The external compressor returned an error!

Options: "H:\Music\UNKN~QYS\1tmp1!542.wav"
"H:\Music\UNKN~QYS\1tmp1!542.mp3" -br 128000 -hq

File : H:\Music\Unknown Artist - Unknown Title\19 - Unknown Artist - Track19.wav

I think the problem is the wrong filename is sent to lame.exe (UNKN~QYS as a folder). Any idea how I can solve this? I would like to rip my audio cd's like i used to do in wintendo.

logos34
May 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I just installed EAC on Jaunty Jackalope using the latest Wine (1.0.1 from the repositories). EAC detects my drive, rips the audio track to wave (can see and play it in the directory). But, when using lame as an external compressor, I get this error:

The external compressor returned an error!

Options: "H:\Music\UNKN~QYS\1tmp1!542.wav"
"H:\Music\UNKN~QYS\1tmp1!542.mp3" -br 128000 -hq

File : H:\Music\Unknown Artist - Unknown Title\19 - Unknown Artist - Track19.wav

I think the problem is the wrong filename is sent to lame.exe (UNKN~QYS as a folder). Any idea how I can solve this? I would like to rip my audio cd's like i used to do in wintendo.

maybe it's choking on invalid genre or the id3 tag settings. just a guess. You might want to post the "additional command-line options" line you're using, and what boxes you have checked at the bottom of that tab, as well as ID3 tab.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t40331.html

DD0C
May 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
maybe it's choking on invalid genre or the id3 tag settings. just a guess. You might want to post the "additional command-line options" line you're using, and what boxes you have checked at the bottom of that tab, as well as ID3 tab.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t40331.html

Here are screenshots of the requested tabs:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2042/screenshotuod.png

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/9563/screenshot1d.png

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7329/screenshot2c.png

Another thing I noticed: during ripping the filename of the wave file is Track02, when I get the error message, it's something like Ttmp1!542, when I click ok it changes back to Track02. I think this is normal, but anyway.. doesn't hurt if I mention it.

What I already tried (and didn't help):
- writing the wave file in a non dotted folder, something like /home/user/music
- clicking the first, second and fourth ticks in the ID3 tag
- moving lame.exe to another folder, also something like /home/user/music or something
- changing parameter passing scheme to user defined
- everything of the ID3 tag in the command line command instead of using the ID3 tagging from EAC

Btw: I followed the instructions on the Hydrogenaudio wiki . I used to use EAC some time ago under Intrepid or Hardy (don't remember) and everything worked that time. It's no drive problem or something. Besides, the wave is ripped.. just the encoding doesn't start.

If anyone can help me, please!

I'm using Jaunty and EAC 0.99 prebeta4

DD0C
May 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Fixed. I removed EAC and reinstalled it, after that, everything worked.. with the SAME settings as stated before! Very strange..

logos34
May 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Fixed. I removed EAC and reinstalled it, after that, everything worked.. with the SAME settings as stated before! Very strange..

I know what you mean--had a similar experience a year ago. EAC would go all wonky on startup and feeze, thought it was the EAC Options>interface selection, but no...I reinstalled a couple of times, didn't work, even reinstalled different versions of wine--but nothing worked. Turns out the culprit, IIRC, was in one of the config settings files. After I deleted it everything a-ok.

s2n6
May 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
t

l-x-l
May 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I know what you mean--had a similar experience a year ago. EAC would go all wonky on startup and feeze, thought it was the EAC Options>interface selection, but no...I reinstalled a couple of times, didn't work, even reinstalled different versions of wine--but nothing worked. Turns out the culprit, IIRC, was in one of the config settings files. After I deleted it everything a-ok.

Having the same problem. What's IIRC? Where is it? So I can delete & see if it's causing my problem. Thx.

logos34
May 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
What's IIRC? Where is it? So I can delete & see if it's causing my problem. Thx.

Not so fast, dude, that's my memory your talking about! :lolflag:

'IIRC' = abbreviation for 'if I recall correctly'

l-x-l
May 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM
LoL!! I've been using the net for a while now & never came across IIRC before. Guess I can't delete that after all. Thx anyway.

Naguz
July 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I can't select the native interface. Eveything but the top alternative is greyed out. Have tried to set it to both win2k and xp in winecfg, and manually set the cd-rom to cd rom in winecfg too. It seems to be ripping OK, is there any chance of errors by using the "wrong" interface?

Naguz
July 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I can't get lame encoding to work either. I was thinking it would work OK to point EAC to the win32 lame.exe, but it outputs "Can't init outfile", så i guess something is a bit off. Any tips? Setting this up on my moms computer, so it must be a one click procedure. Using a second program to encode the tracks is not really an option.

Leslie_K.
November 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I can't get lame encoding to work either. I was thinking it would work OK to point EAC to the win32 lame.exe, but it outputs "Can't init outfile", så i guess something is a bit off. Any tips? Setting this up on my moms computer, so it must be a one click procedure. Using a second program to encode the tracks is not really an option.

Running Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine 1.0.1 and EAC 0.99 prebeta 5 (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/) which comes with FLAC 1.2.1 by default I managed to encode the ripped WAV file to FLAC. Then I downloaded LAME 3.98.2 (http://rarewares.poskolio.com/lame3.98.2.zip) win32 binaries, extracted the lame.exe and lame.dll (I guess it's not needed) and using Applications->Wine->Browse C:\ Drive just created a the following directory: C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\Lame plus I copied the two extracted files there. After starting up EAC via Applications->Wine->Programs->Exact Audio Copy I went to EAC->Compression Options and there I modified the options to:

[X] Use external program for compression
Parameter passing scheme: User Defined Encoder
Use file extension: .mp3
Program, including path, used for compression: C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\LAME\LAME.EXE (Instead of browsing I just edited the path.)
Additional command-line options: --vbr-new %s %d
Bit rate: 320 kBit/s (It doesn't matter, by the way.)
[X] Delete WAV after compression
[ ] Use CRC check
[ ] Add ID3 tag
[X] Check for external programs return code
This way I managed to copy the tracks selected flawlessly.
Tell me if that helped your problem! (I guess you should give a try to the same versions of the software I downloaded - links provided.)
By the way, I didn't use predefined extraction path, so EAC always prompts me when copying tracks - maybe that also matters, but not sure?

mordak13
May 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for this info guys/ladys. I do audio trading online and most site require EAC rips to guarantee the quality is the best possible for archiving purposes and then we compress with FLAC. I have Windows 7 available but have been a linux exclusive user since 2004 and using Linux since 1998. I hate to use Windows if I can do it with Linux. I'm not to proud to use Wine when needed either. After all Wine Is Not an Emulator. ;-)

skralljt
February 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
The only two windows apps I really want to keep around are eac and foobar2000 in that order. Easytag requires about three times the work to do the same stuff and linux rippers don't have the same functionality with accuraterip and just working without a bunch of horsesh*t.
I have not had a problem with eac using default installs of wine and eac for over 2 years but I never encode using lame binaries, only the aotuv tuned vorbis encoder or flac. If you are having trouble with eac's user defined encoder, you can always use it to just rip to .wav. After all, that is what separates good rippers from mediocre rippers: How well can they turn a cd into a .wav file? Once you have the .wav file just use a commandline encoder.
If that sounds like too much work, both abcde and rubyripper perform admirably if you can figure out how to set them up correctly but that is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Ron O
March 2nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
I've used EAC for years in *******, and I just installed v.0.99pb5 in Ubuntu through Wine and let it put the EAC folder into wine program files, rather than try to decide which files in the folder I do not need. I expanded LAME 3.98.4 and put the entire folder into the EAC folder and pointed to lame.exe in EAC setup. Easy. And it works flawlessly- in fact it's WAY faster than it ever was in *******.

EAC defaulted to "installed external ASPI interface" instead of win32, and since it works so well, I left it alone. I'm assuming it found the ASPI interface in Ubuntu? EAC is extracting wav.files at about 35x and it does an average CD at 192 bit rate in under 5 minutes. This is a SUPERB program, and thanks to the persistent work of the Wine developers, it runs great.

The only thing I miss is the error LEDs. They don't work in Ubuntu. In *******, if they lit up beyond the first row, you could see that EAC was re-sampling to get two checksums that match- one of the keys to it's accuracy. But I've run it enough before that I can tell by the track progress if it is resampling anyway. My last link to ******* is finally gone. I could remove ******* since I never use it, but I would rather use GParted to HUMILIATE it by cutting it's partition size down to the bare minimum.

skralljt
April 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have found that the red led error lights do light up. I wish that my cd's weren't scratched enough for me to have noticed this! The one problem I have with eac 1.0 beta 1 is that it isn't creating correct log files. Rather, it creates a log file with only "ÿþE" in it which it did not do in previous versions on previous versions of ubuntu. I guess I will email the author about this bug but not sure he'll care too much about wine users. I have tried different settings like "English Only", checking and unchecking append checksum, and manually clicking on write log file. They all yield the same goofy cyrillic characters or whatever they are.

micbelue425
February 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Do any of you guys use a Macbook with EAC 1.0b3? My drive doesn't seem to be recognized, but for EAC 0.95b4 it is recognized (will try 0.99pb5).

dun270
December 20th, 2012, 03:13 AM
You don't need EAC, Wine, or even Windows anymore to extract individual tracks from wav, ape, flac files with cue sheets.
Use flacon, at https://code.google.com/p/flacon/ or get it with apt-get:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flacon
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flacon
It splits all wav, ape, flac to individual tracks with custom audio levels, and outputs files to mp3, flac, ogg, etc.
I may never see a WinXP screen again!