PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time linux user, I think i broke it...

p0nchoparty
March 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM
So basically i just got plain fed up with windows all together. This is my first shot at linux and i have been told on forums and from peers that Ubuntu would most likely be easyiest for the switch. Here is where my problems begin. I got the ISO downloaded on another PC and burnt to a disc with InfraRecorder as suggested. I put the disc in and restarted per intructions, everything loaded and went thru just fine. When it went resart the screen went black and now nothing at all will work. I tried to put my vista back in just to see what would happen and still nothing. I went ahead and got the ubuntu amd64 version put on disk and still nothing... PLEASE SAVE ME!

I am very open to suggestions, critique etc. I just want this to be fixed so i can continue on with linux in the trouble free manor i was hoping i could escape to after windows.

prshah
March 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM
it went resart the screen went black and now nothing at all will work.
...suggestions...

Please post your computer's configuration / brand / make, etc, it will go a long way in helping others give you relevant advice.

pbpersson
March 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Typically when you boot up a computer you get an introductory screen showing the BIOS type such as AMI, Award, or Phoenix.

Then there might be a line such as "hit delete to enter setup"

Then there will be information such as your memory type, hard drives, etc.

You might then see a line such as "hit any key to boot from CD"

Then you might see a black screen with white letters that say GRUB LOADING or ISOLINUX

You are saying none of this is happening and the monitor is dark? Have you checked all the cables to make sure everything is still connected?

c0nfusedami
March 12th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Did you make sure that you have the right iso image for your processor?

p0nchoparty
March 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Honestly i truelly cant say it was originally a gateway (no model found) all i can say for sure is it has a amd 64 duel core 6g ram and a 1tb western digital sata HDD. The reason i cant really say is because almost all the hardware was givin to me by my brother who is useless to me in this instance. I was running vista ultimate before initial attempt at ubuntu. i hope this can help :/

EDIT: and no nothing of any type is showing up of any type i have double checked more times then i can count, i even plugged monitor into motherboard so that the graphics card would not be an issue (thus not mentioning above)

soltanis
March 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
When you turn on the computer do you see ANYTHING or just after the little BIOS screen comes up you go dark?

sdpiowa
March 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I had a similar issue on a Dell laptop. The screen couldn't handle any of the Ubuntu resolutions, but an external monitor would. When the monitor was disconnected, however, it looked like it wasn't doing anything.

I also have had similar issues with bad disks. I've found that burning them on a slower write-speed usually helps.

p0nchoparty
March 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Nothing shows, not even a BIOS screen. I made sure to write at lowest speed possible. First I tried the iso labeled with ubuntu 9.10 desktop i386.iso and no luck, then i realized i had a amd64 and saw the other version and thought maybe being more specific could help. So then i tried ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso once again trying at lowest write speed, still same problem. At first i thought it could be a display issue with the video card (no drivers etc.) but then i put it into mother board and nothing. Are u suggesting i try a different monitor? If so would that meen a more basic one? Im not sure how that would help(like i have said before im always open to suggestion). My monitor seems to be fine, as in i can get the display up when i plug it into this laptop i have been using and it really isnt anything special.

p0nchoparty
March 13th, 2010, 04:00 AM
UPDATE This could be more frustrating then before. I decided to make another disc with the same ISO (amd64 version) and put it in and magically it came up. I noticed that at the very first step of language select (in the very basic grey font) that i could not use by keyboard. I restarted and i got alot further, all the way to the page with the options like install side-by-side or erase and so on. Then again i could not use my keyboard. Note while it was stuck there i saw that it says i had ubuntu already on. i took the disk out and restarted and it loaded all the way into the user log in screen and what do you know... no mouse, no keyboard. They are both USB if that helps and just to be one step ahead note that i have none of the old hookups, the round PS2 i believe its called due to the fact that... believe it or not by brother tore them out to fit in a graphics card LOL. I know all the hardware is fine due to the fact i have been using it fine with windows for months.

P.S. sorry for the novels i have been writing, just dont want to leave out any info...

c0nfusedami
March 15th, 2010, 06:22 AM
did your mouse work when you were installing and did you finish the install even though there was a copy already on the hard drive

p0nchoparty
March 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM
No the mouse didnt work while installing, figured it was normal honestly. And yes it said that it had ubuntu on it already but it was in no way functioning, i only got the amd64 one to work

c0nfusedami
March 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
how did you get to the point that you could see that you had ubuntu installed without a working keyboard or mouse?