PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I kinda like Moovida.

thatguruguy
March 12th, 2010, 04:45 AM
There, I've said it.

In fact, I'm considering taking an old computer (plus a new hard drive crammed with movies and stuff) and hooking it up to the TV, using moovida as the software for a media center.

One thing that's kinda nice about moving to Ubuntu (or whichever linux/FOSS OS you might be using now) is that it has exposed me to some software which I hadn't had much experience with when I only used proprietary software. Although I'd used some cross-platform stuff (e.g., Open Office, despite the fact I already owned MS Office), there were other programs (e.g., Blender) that I'd looked at but never used. Now that I've HAD to use open source applications I've become a fan of some of them. For instance, I've gotten used to the GIMP and hardly ever miss Photoshop (although Paint Shop Pro will always have a place in my heart). And there are things I probably never would have gotten around to trying on Windows, but now really like. Among those are Blender (again), moovida, and the Hulu desktop, just to name a few.

There's been an ongoing thread about apps that you wish were open source. What open source apps have you discovered that you might have never have stumbled upon if you still used a proprietary OS?

Phrea
March 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Boo.

thatguruguy
March 12th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Boo.

Excellent, well-thought out point.