PDA

View Full Version : Question about distribution

johan66
March 11th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Howdy people!

This probably is a bit of an off-question since it doesn't have anything to do with Ubuntu at all but I hope you can bear with me ;)

First time I started using Linux, I chose Ubuntu because I had a really slow internet connection at the time and Ubuntu offered free CD's. Plus it's the only linux version I ever got along with.

So now, years later, I want to distribute some software of my own. I'm even planning to make some sort of a business out of it on a very small-scale. So I've been browsing the internets but I can't really find what I'm looking for. I want to create professional, authentic-looking CD's. From DVD-cover to the CD itself.

2 things:

1. All I found so far are inkjet-printable CD's but I can't imagine professional distributors use this as a method to print their CD's, what method is used for this and how can I start doing this myself?

2. When I burn a CD, the bottom (burn-able) part of the CD is a way diffrent color than as an example the Ubuntu CD's I ordered years ago. My CD's are green-ish, and ubuntu-s (and all retail software) are more like, white. Why is this? Does this have something to do with the way us normal people burn CD's, or is it the CD's themselves? Would love some info on this one :p

I realise the equipment to really do this on a professional level will probably be pretty expensive but I'd like to know the how and what anyway, knowledge is power!

Thanks a bunch in advance, I've een trying to figure this out for days!

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The shipit cd's are printed, not burned.

johan66
March 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Thx for your quick reply, I found this after googeling "printing" a cd

Replication: This is a manufacturing process that essentially replicates or “clones” the original master. First, a “glass master” is created from the original. Then a set of molds, or “stampers,” are made from the master. Stampers act as a blueprint for the replication process; they are mounted into an injection-mold machine, where a replica of the mold is created in the form of a 120-mm plastic disc. The formed disc is then coated with a micro-thin reflective layer of aluminum. Finally, the disc is coated with a protective lacquer that is first spun onto the disc, then hardened by ultraviolet light. Because replication is complicated, it’s typically considered only for large runs of at least 1,000 copies. At those volumes, replication produces the lowest per-disk cost and offers the highest possible readability levels. In fact, all commercially distributed entertainment and software CDs and DVDs are produced using replication.

SO that's what happens for ubuntu CD's too? And basically what every mass software distributor does?

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Yes.

johan66
March 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Awesome, about time I figured that out, been bugging me for ages. Thanks mate!

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You're welcome.

Dayofswords
March 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
reply to cd-r color part:
they come in different colors, most packages wont say the color(doesnt matter to them), there are some like "dark cd!" or something, those would be blackish

colors i've seen for cd-r:
white(plain)
black
greenish
red
one blue(i want those...)