PDA

View Full Version : which linux should I try next?

HH60Gunner
March 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Well after about a year of using linux I've warmed up to it and learned to workout any issues I initially had with it. Now I'd like to try another flavor of linux. So far I've tried ubuntu, kubuntu, and opensuse. I'm planning on re-doing my computer this weekend and completely pulling off my windows partition since the only that I used to use it for was world of warcraft and I've since quit playing that game a few months ago. So now I'm going to triple boot my system with ubuntu, opensuse, and ??

What would you guys reccomend. I typically use my system for school work, browsing, graphics, media, and linux gaming (heroes of newarth). What OS would reccomend that is stylyish and has possibilities for great eye candy and functionality? Also looking to expand my experience for when I get back into the IT world. I used to be a communications computer systems controller for the AF until I was force retrained out of it due to manning, but I'm eligable to return soon, and always looking to improve my It knowledge. Even though the vast majority of my IT knowlege is in long haul communications systems and crypto's and typically in the background of the typical user.

Tibuda
March 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
What OS would reccomend that is stylyish and has possibilities for great eye candy and functionality?
All Linux distros have the same "eye-candy" possibilities. They all have KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Openbox... DE/WM themes are distro-independent.

For functionality, the Linux distros are also similar. It's all about the apps you install.

Also looking to expand my experience for when I get back into the IT world.
To really learn about Linux, try one of the "do-it-yourself" distros, like Ubuntu Minimal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal), Debian, Arch, Slackware, Gentoo...

julianb
March 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
for learning about how linux works, I recommend Tiny Core Linux. 10MB gets you a working graphical operating system. You'll get an idea of what everything in a linux system is for, because there isn't much there to confuse you, just the files you really need.

coolbrook
March 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Try Arch Linux. My next conquest is Gentoo.

gnupipe
March 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
try arch linux.
+1

phrostbyte
March 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hanna Montana Linux

LowSky
March 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
hanna montana linux

](*,)

no

snowpine
March 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I agree with all the suggestions above. I will also add CentOS (the free version of Red Hat) to the list. It is widely used in the corporate world and would be a good IT job skill. It is also super-stable (if a little "outdated"), which makes it a good dual-boot with a cutting edge distro like Ubuntu.

tjwoosta
March 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hanna Montana Linux

nice ;)

LowSky
March 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I agree with all the suggestions above. I will also add CentOS (the free version of Red Hat) to the list. It is widely used in the corporate world and would be a good IT job skill. It is also super-stable (if a little "outdated"), which makes it a good dual-boot with a cutting edge distro like Ubuntu.

If your going to mention CentOS why not add Fedora to the list, which is Redhat's community version that is very up to date.

Personally I would go to Arch Linux as my next choice. it lets you build from the base up and gets you more experience with Vi. Also Arch uses BSD style init framework so it gives you a taste of Unix in there too... which is also used by Slackware, the ubergeek linux ditro

nmccrina
March 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hanna Montana Linux

I agree with all the suggestions above.

Lol.

I agree with Arch, not because "ZOMG it's teh best ever!!!!1!!1!!" but because you already have Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, which are very user-friendly, GUI-oriented distros. You want something different for your third OS. Thus, something like Arch, Slackware, or Gentoo would be a good fit.

snowpine
March 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM
If your going to mention CentOS why not add Fedora to the list, which is Redhat's community version that is very up to date.

Because Red Hat/CentOS releases are fully supported for 7 years, while Fedora releases are only supported 13 months. Long-term support is valuable in an enterprise environment.

Personally I would go to Arch Linux as my next choice. it lets you build from the base up and gets you more experience with Vi. Also Arch uses BSD style init framework so it gives you a taste of Unix in there too... which is also used by Slackware, the ubergeek linux ditro

Agreed! I am typing this from Arch right now. :)

phillychease
March 12th, 2010, 06:14 AM
#!

akand074
March 12th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I agree with Arch too I really like that distribution. Also I tried Mint OS today and I love that too, I think you would too seeing as you like eye-candy and aesthetics, its just about identical to Ubuntu except its a little nicer to look at and has some extra little features and a redesigned start menu. You'll probably like it. But Arch is also a great idea to learn more about linux and you can turn it into whatever you want, build it yourself from the minimal install.

karthick87
March 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Try Fedora