PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu software centre gets brand new look!!!!

sudoer541
March 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
OMG!!! it looks (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-software-centre-gets-brand-new.html) good!!!!

LowSky
March 11th, 2010, 07:24 PM
they need to move the maximize, minimize, close buttone back to the right side of the Window.

Otherwise the forums are going to full of people asking on how to.

I like how they are finally thinking of updating the Distro's looks, but too much change can be bad... I'm thinking MS's Vista

DeadSuperHero
March 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I like how they are finally thinking of updating the Distro's looks, but too much change can be bad... I'm thinking MS's Vista

I agree with you to a point, but it's important to keep in mind that this is still technically the alpha phase. It could end up looking totally different by the time the final rolls out.

juancarlospaco
March 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Yes

samh785
March 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM
they need to move the maximize, minimize, close buttone back to the right side of the Window.

I foresee a sticky that we will constantly have to refer people to. ](*,)

Frak
March 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I foresee a sticky that we will constantly have to refer people to. ](*,)
People will figure it out. It's not hard to look a few inches to the left.

Good that they're fixing this. The Orange on Blue was atrocious. I also hope the "App - Free" refers to price. I would like to see more commercial apps in the marketplace. I'd hate to see "App - Non-Free"'s littering the marketplace.

KiwiNZ
March 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I find it amusing , I was always told that the Linux community was innovative immaginative free thinking . Yet a small change like moving three buttons from right to left in an Alpha release has so many in a tither.

And change of color , change of color.Remember what happens here when ever we bring in a new theme. Tis the War of the Roses all over again.

Change is good people . It keeps us alive , turn those frowns upside down.

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Found this on OMG! Ubuntu!

http://i.imgur.com/hSUNX.gif

Is that coincidence or a little pun?

Edit: sorry for 'the big picture', but I'm a bit hard of seeing.

LowSky
March 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
People will figure it out. It's not hard to look a few inches to the left.

Its not about "figuring out". Its a messy decision and it breaks normal Gnome functionality.

And every Alpha for the last 4-5 versions has looked pretty close to the final release version.

I don't mind changes in color, but I do mind changes in configuration that will make most new users cringe.

Frak
March 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Its not about "figuring out". Its a messy decision and it breaks normal Gnome functionality.

And every Alpha for the last 4-5 versions has looked pretty close to the final release version.

I don't mind changes in color, but I do mind changes in configuration that will make most new users cringe.
Apple's been doing fine with buttons on the left for the past 26 years. I see the replacement a good thing. If the best part, the close button is now in an awkward position, which makes it hard to accidentally hit.

cariboo
March 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I have to agree with KiwiNZ, for every release people were complaining about no new themes. Now that there are several new themes, all people do is complain, and the majority of them aren't even using Lucid yet. We are only at alpha 3, the beta comes out next Thursday, the beta release has traditionally been when the final artwork is revealed.

edit: BTW I have the close button on the right and min/max on the left. It took less than 5 seconds to change.

Post Monkeh
March 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I have to agree with KiwiNZ, for every release people were complaining about no new themes. Now that there are several new themes, all people do is complain, and the majority of them aren't even using Lucid yet. We are only at alpha 3, the beta comes out next Thursday, the beta release has traditionally been when the final artwork is revealed.

edit: BTW I have the close button on the right and min/max on the left. It took less than 5 seconds to change.

some people just aren't happy unless they aren't happy.

days_of_ruin
March 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM

5 seconds? Do you have the gconf key bookmarked in gconf-editor or what? How easy will it be for noobs to change the order when they probably wouldn't even know that it is possible.

EDIT: Also changing the order breaks the default theme, how hilarious is that?

ELD
March 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
5 seconds? Do you have the gconf key bookmarked in gconf-editor or what? How easy will it be for noobs to change the order when they probably wouldn't even know that it is possible.

This, it should be the place most familiar to people, i intend to change it back where it belongs (to me) on the right. I use windows a lot as i'm sure many others do, i don't want to have to be that different.

samh785
March 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
To be fair, a new user isn't going to have a clue about how to change the button locations. They should at the very least provide an easy method of changing it in the appearance menu.

Regenweald
March 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
best feature for me is its' keeping track of my ppa's. By simply clicking on one I can know exactly what I have on my machine from whom. Nice visual management. Canonical partners is cool also.

Dayofswords
March 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM

too late, there are two polls and like 20 thread on basically "why the heck is it on the left"

phrostbyte
March 11th, 2010, 10:34 PM
too late, there are two polls and like 20 thread on basically "why the heck is it on the left"

OMG the window controls are on the left?!!! LEFT?!!!

j/k :)

(But seriously moving them back to the right will be the first thing I do)

days_of_ruin
March 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM

And it will only be worse if the order is still like this when 10.04 is released :(

Phrea
March 11th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't want to see the beginners forum if Canonical insists on keeping the window controls on the left... :o

swoll1980
March 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I find it amusing , I was always told that the Linux community was innovative immaginative free thinking . Yet a small change like moving three buttons from right to left in an Alpha release has so many in a tither.

And change of color , change of color.Remember what happens here when ever we bring in a new theme. Tis the War of the Roses all over again.

Change is good people . It keeps us alive , turn those frowns upside down.

I'm sure I could get used to it. The only problem I was having with it, was the fact that I dual boot with Windows. Just as I would start to adjust, I needed to use Windows, then I was going to the left on Windows, and the right on Ubuntu. I found myself stopping to look at my Windows before I would do anything. This is not productive.

zekopeko
March 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Could we return to the app in question, Ubuntu Software Center?

The only thing that looks of looking at the screenshots is that weird basket icon in the upper right. It just looks weird and I don't see why its there at all.

fatality_uk
March 12th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I LOVE the new look!!

gnupipe
March 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM
OMG!!! it looks (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-software-centre-gets-brand-new.html) good!!!!

Looks good.

skymera
March 12th, 2010, 12:50 AM

Cool look, this'll make it that little bit harder for me when i purge it from my system..

Madspyman
March 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM
The software center is the best looking thing in Lucid, it's like a glass of ice water in hell.

samjh
March 12th, 2010, 12:54 AM
It looks good, but the window controls being on the left is not.

It's not a trivial thing like some people are making it out to be. The vast majority of Gnome themes have window controls on the right. Even KDE and Xfce, the two most popular non-Gnome environments, have them on the right. Windows has it on the right. The only exception are Macs, and we shouldn't be following exceptions which offer no significant advantages over conventions. The bottom line is: majority of users expect to see window controls on the top-right of the window, not the left. A feature becomes a usability issue when you force people to change when no change is necessary.

If left-sided window controls actually had any advantage over their right-sided ones, then I wouldn't be worried, nor would so many users (current and future) complain.

Nickedynick
March 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Just to clarify, has this properly been released yet?

samjh
March 12th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Depends on what you mean by "properly released". Lucid Lynx is at Alpha 3. Beta 1 is due to be released on the 20th, which is preceded by a UI freeze on the 18th.

ELD
March 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I have all the updates applied but do not see all of the new look, wierd.

Luke has no name
March 12th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Apple's been doing fine with buttons on the left for the past 26 years. I see the replacement a good thing. If the best part, the close button is now in an awkward position, which makes it hard to accidentally hit.

Apple is a different OS! It doesn't have a traditional title bar, or window options under a bar like GNOME has. The buttons are too cluttered on the left, and too close to the tool bar buttons.

It is silly to say it's good to have the 'close' button intentionally more awkward now; that should be the opposite of where this OS is going.

Change is good people. It keeps us alive, turn those frowns upside down.

Themes are OK. Themes are a well known option that is fairly obvious to change. Changing the user interface in a small yet IMPORTANT way that is not easily reversible in an LTS is foolish, and no official reason has come out from Canonical as to why they would do this.

Change for the sake of change is not good. Change for improvement is the only acceptable change.

Dessicus
March 12th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I like the new breadcrumb look. It'll fit right in with the elementary-mod (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Elementary-mod?content=119715) theme I'm using. It's nice to see they added navigation buttons too.

Frak
March 12th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Apple is a different OS! It doesn't have a traditional title bar, or window options under a bar like GNOME has. The buttons are too cluttered on the left, and too close to the tool bar buttons.

It is silly to say it's good to have the 'close' button intentionally more awkward now; that should be the opposite of where this OS is going.

Nice contradiction. This actually makes the menu-system and window controls closer to the same location. I'd also be willing to bet that most maintenance activity occurs on the left side of the window.

When it comes to interfaces, there's 0 differences between OS's. "Oh, but this one was made for engineering", then it has an interface. Ubuntu and OS X are shooting for the same market -> General Public. The interfaces between them may turn similar depending on how UX tests go.

Yours Truly,
UX Engineer

neu5eeCh
March 12th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Hey! That does look good.

After all the distros I've tried (in the last couple of months) Ubuntu is easily the most polished (from the non-technical user's perspective). However, I haven't tried Mandriva.