PDA

View Full Version : Very wet behind the ears!

mesmorgan
March 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hello Ubuntu community, I am your newest member. I became a Ubunton? two days ago when I replaced a lagging Windows 7 on my laptop. This is my first Linux installation and I am still getting to know what is what.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for someone who is very familiar with Windows & DOS but has never used Linux before? Something with common terminal commands would also be useful since all I am doing at the moment is copying and pasting commands that I have found through guides.

I have also been writing about my experience in my blog if anyone is interested. I will continue to write about my journey from Windows to Ubuntu as things unfold, and if anyone spots me doing something wrong feel free to comment!

http://theywereinvisible.blogspot.com/2010/03/from-windows-to-ubuntu-part-one.html

I look forward to being part of the Ubuntu community and welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

James

_h_
March 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
There's a sticky for this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1405131

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :D

Swagman
March 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hello Ubuntu community, I am your newest member. I became a Ubunton? two days ago when I replaced a lagging Windows 7 on my laptop. This is my first Linux installation and I am still getting to know what is what.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for someone who is very familiar with Windows & DOS but has never used Linux before? Something with common terminal commands would also be useful since all I am doing at the moment is copying and pasting commands that I have found through guides.

I have also been writing about my experience in my blog if anyone is interested. I will continue to write about my journey from Windows to Ubuntu as things unfold, and if anyone spots me doing something wrong feel free to comment!

http://theywereinvisible.blogspot.com/2010/03/from-windows-to-ubuntu-part-one.html

I look forward to being part of the Ubuntu community and welcome any suggestions anyone might have.

James

Welcome.

You haven't stated whether you installed 32 bit or 64 bit.

Paddy Landau
March 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I've just read your blog.

If I may make a couple of hints for the brand new newbie, to make your life easier!

To install a new program, you don't look for it on the Internet and download it and install it (that's the Windows way). Instead, you open your package manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) and install from there. (There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they're rare.) Packages with the Ubuntu logo have been tested and are virtually guaranteed to work. Most other packages seem to work, not that you're likely to need them.

Likewise, to uninstall a program, you go (again) to the package manager and uninstall from there.

You can run some Windows programs on Linux, but not all. If you want iTunes, you can run version 7, not the latest version. iTunes was very carefully designed to run only on Windows and Mac. If you're interested in learning how to install iTunes version 7, post here and I'll show you the easy way to install it.

Finally, if you run into problems, search these forums, because the chances are that someone else has already asked. Google is also a good friend. If you're still stuck, post a new thread in the ABT (Absolute Beginner Talk) forum.

_h_
March 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
To install a new program, you don't look for it on the Internet and download it and install it (that's the Windows way). Instead, you open your package manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) and install from there. (There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they're rare.) Packages with the Ubuntu logo have been tested and are virtually guaranteed to work. Most other packages seem to work, not that you're likely to need them.

I'd also like to add on to your post. Outside of the Synaptic, theres the Software Center prepacked into Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu Software Center is also a good way to find applications and install/upgrade/remove them.

Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center.

Swagman
March 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah I tried to post on your blogspot but forgot my username & password. annyway.. I'll post it here

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(That's assuming you installed the 32 bit version)

That *COMMAND* (NOT code) simply installs various codecs, fonts and flash that are not permitted to be distributed by default.

The sudo bit means you are donning your administrators hat and as so it will demand your password which you wont see on your screen as you type it in.

undecim
March 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like everyone before me mentioned everything I would have said.

Welcome to Ubuntu! If you run into an problems, don't hesitate to ask a question in the support forums.