PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait for Dapper Dear !!!

sherlock-holmes
March 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
When is it coming out ? what date? how will we know?

I tried changing the sources.list file with dapper and many things screwed up...so waiting for the stable version now....

I have very high expectations......

What about u ?

NobleSavage
March 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Same here! I haven't tried the dev release - I'm waiting for the stable. Can someone tell me what I have to look forward to? What can I expect?

s|k
March 11th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Don't expect xgl. :(

NobleSavage
March 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I hate asking this, but what is XGL? :)

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Don't expect xgl. :(

XGL will be available in the repos for people to install after the initial set up of Dapper.

There is talk of a possible six week delay between Mark Shuttleworth and the devs. We may not see the final release until June but the delay is not set in stone yet. Here is a link to the thread discussing this issue.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=142536

darkmatter
March 11th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I hate asking this, but what is XGL? :)

XGL is a new advanced compositing xserver (on of the many gifts from Novell). It's current use is as a dependency for the compiz window manager.
wobbly windows!!! w00t!!

s|k
March 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
XGL will be available in the repos for people to install after the initial set up of Dapper.
But nobody should run it on their main OS, it's not ready, or so I've been told.

NobleSavage
March 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
XGL is a new advanced compositing xserver (on of the many gifts from Novell). It's current use is as a dependency for the compiz window manager.
wobbly windows!!! w00t!!
That sounds cool and all, but I still have no idea what it will actually do.
Do you have a link or something where I can read more?
:confused:

s|k
March 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Check out wikipedia's article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xgl

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
But nobody should run it on their main OS, it's not ready, or so I've been told.

I am running it on my main OS. It is plenty ready and stable to use full time. I am using it on FLT 4 of Dapper and my computer never crashes. XGL/Compiz perform almost flawlessly.

Jucato
March 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I can't wait, too. especially after seeing the things you can do with XGL. (I'm an eye-candy sucker)
But if they need another 6 weeks to polish things up, I wouldn't mind. Anyway, there's Flight-4 already, which I heard is a bit useable. Might install it after my "try to use GNOME" week. :D

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM

There is a live CD that shows what it will do. Here is a link to the thread on this so you can get more info.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=141405

GoA
March 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I am running it on my main OS. It is plenty ready and stable to use full time. I am using it on FLT 4 of Dapper and my computer never crashes. XGL/Compiz perform almost flawlessly.

Same here.

sherlock-holmes
March 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM
interesting....

is flight 4 stable ....as in....stable like breezy?.... iam litttle skeptical from the articles in the forum.....i dont have many computers...just the one i use for work...and its running breezy....but dapper is tempting .....

very tempting....but....

Dark Nations
March 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM

There is talk of a possible six week delay between Mark Shuttleworth and the devs. We may not see the final release until June but the delay is not set in stone yet. Here is a link to the thread discussing this issue.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=142536

Can the repos be updated for Breezy?

darrenrxm
March 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I hear that they will also have a flawless install of ati 3d drivers. Not matter what version of ati card you have it will just work.

Well, their is always the next release... or maybe the release after that... etc, etc.

I know it's ati fault.

mstlyevil
March 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Can the repos be updated for Breezy?

I did a clean install. But from what I understand, if you change all instances of breezy in your sources list to dapper and then do a dist upgrade it will update you to the latest dapper.

kayas80
March 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I can't wait for Dapper. I hope it's worth the wait and resolves stability issues I'm currently experiencing.