PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hate: all alt-tab (window switcher) options in compiz

hexamon
March 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm looking for a plugin or mode in compiz that will allow me to switch windows without any kind of overlay or effects. I want a mode that when I alt-tab it simply moves the focus, and raises if necessary, the next window in the desktop. The scale plugin kind of does this, but even if you map the window chooser initiator to alt-tab, you can't repeat to cycle to the next window.

I hate the XP style default overlay boxed list. I hate the OSX style cover flipper thing. I hate the ring thingy. I don't want any extra animation or overlay, I just want the next window to be focused.

I could swear that I had it this way back in the fvwm and enlightenment days, but I really like compiz aside from this one thing. Any options out there?

asmoore82
March 11th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I think the closest you can get to this with compiz is to use the "Static Application Switcher"
and user compizconfig to turn its "Popup Window Delay" way up to like 1 second.

It will still do the switching but it will only bring up the interface if you hold
"Alt" down for that long...

see attached compizconfig screenshot.

hexamon
March 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
That is pretty creative. The one side-effect is that you can't hit tab for the next window. You have to do alt-tab each time, which works if you only have two windows on the desktop. If you have four windows, you can't go to the 3rd or 4th, just between the first two, where the window number is determined by last focus. Still, it is an improvement. Thanks for that tip.