PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen while trying to install 9.10

hsp40oz
March 11th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I've found similar posts to this but none seemed to be solved.

I'm trying to install ubuntu 9.10 on my new laptop. Dual boot Win 7 Pro on first partition.

Its a gateway nv79 laptop with an intel i3 330M processor.

The problem occurs when I boot from the CD I get the first menu where you can choose to install, load ubuntu from CD, etc. No matter which option I choose, I get nothing but a blank screen. Then I can do nothing but power down by holding the power button.

I've tried both 64 and 32 bit versions, same thing. The 32 bit disk works fine on another computer. I've also tried booting another version of Linux, Helix, from CD and that also works fine.

I'm thinking ubuntu doesnt support my graphics card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD.

Any ideas?

Edit: Solved. Decided to give it one more try. Used safe graphics mode. Black screen again. I walked away and let the cd rom churn for a while. Came back 5-6 minutes later and as soon as i sat down the installer loaded up. I'm all installed now. Graphics are a bit sloppy, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

brucekev
May 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
The blank screen problem was fixed with the 10.4 version. I just got Ubuntu up and running on my NV79 and everything looks to be just fine! ;-)