PDA

View Full Version : Vista is really slow, I have Ubuntu atm

Lukasz Tarkowski
March 11th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Vista is really slow, I have Ubuntu atm, I will be buying Windows 7 soon, I might do Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot ;)

swoll1980
March 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
For me Win7 was a huge improvement over Vista. I'm having a few problems with some programs I use, but overall it's much better. For me Vista was slow at everything, and extremely buggy. I don't know if it's like that for other people, or not, but It's the worst OS I've ever used. I would put 7 right up there with XP, only it has more capabilities.

Post Monkeh
March 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
if you install windows after ubuntu it will stuff up your bootloader.

it's pretty easy to fix, just be sure not to panic when you boot straight into windows.

Post Monkeh
March 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
For me Win7 was a huge improvement over Vista. I'm having a few problems with some programs I use, but overall it's much better. For me Vista was slow at everything, and extremely buggy. I don't know if it's like that for other people, or not, but It's the worst OS I've ever used. I would put 7 right up there with XP.

vista was the reason i moved to ubuntu.

sometimes it took me 5 minutes to get from entering my password to a usable desktop - and that was on a fairly clean install (only things i'd installed were avg, spybot, openoffice & civ4) on a brand new (though admittedly fairly modest) laptop

swoll1980
March 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM
vista was the reason i moved to ubuntu.

sometimes it took me 5 minutes to get from entering my password to a usable desktop - and that was on a fairly clean install (only things i'd installed were avg, spybot, openoffice & civ4) on a brand new (though admittedly fairly modest) laptop

I have a laptop that dual boots Vista, and 9.10. Vista takes about 1 1/2 minutes to boot. Ubuntu takes 20 seconds.

On this machine Win7 and Ubuntu both take about 15 seconds.

phrostbyte
March 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
If you aren't a gamer, look into virtualization. You can run basically any non-game Windows app on-top of Ubuntu.

vinny@studo
March 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
if you install windows after ubuntu it will stuff up your bootloader.

it's pretty easy to fix, just be sure not to panic when you boot straight into windows.

if you don't mind starting from scratch i always install windows first to avoid this problem.

Post Monkeh
March 11th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have a laptop that dual boots Vista, and 9.10. Vista takes about 1 1/2 minutes to boot. Ubuntu takes 20 seconds.

On this machine Win7 and Ubuntu both take about 15 seconds.

do you mean boot or log in?

my laptop "boots" to its login screen in about 30 seconds. that was true of ubuntu and vista. that's where the problem kicked in though, 5 minutes to log in to my brand new, fresh user account when it took only 30 seconds to essentially load the whole OS? yeah right.

Post Monkeh
March 11th, 2010, 01:38 AM
if you don't mind starting from scratch i always install windows first to avoid this problem.

you really don't have to, you can fix the boot loader in 5 minutes
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%20Grub%202%20via%20LiveCD

there may seem like a lot of commands but it really is easy, the only thing you need to be sure is that you pick the right partition to mount but you can easily tell this by the size, or by checking the contents of /mnt with nautilus once you mount it - if it's the right partition it'll have all your "normal" folders like /etc /boot & /usr etc.

pickboy87
March 11th, 2010, 01:39 AM

I always keep a handy Super Grub Disk (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/) laying around. Works like a charm.

You're able to auto configure grub if Windows overwrites it with a MBR. Plus you can also boot directly into Linux without having a properly configured grub. I've had many dual boot issues on Windows part and having that disc saved me from reformatting everything.

swoll1980
March 11th, 2010, 02:06 AM
do you mean boot or log in?

my laptop "boots" to its login screen in about 30 seconds. that was true of ubuntu and vista. that's where the problem kicked in though, 5 minutes to log in to my brand new, fresh user account when it took only 30 seconds to essentially load the whole OS? yeah right.

All my computers are set to Bypass the log in screen now. This is how long it takes to get from grub to a usable desktop.

Lukasz Tarkowski
March 11th, 2010, 02:44 AM
I switched to Ubuntu becuase of Vista broke for me. I did long ago Vista and Ubuntu dualboot. When i had the Beta of windows 7 I did Ubuntu and windows 7 beta dualboot, so I know how this works, Usually the windows dvd has repair option, then you can use bootrec.exe /fixmbr :D Windows 7 doesn't take alot of space, so I have left space for Ubuntu ;) I can't drive a car to the store so I have to wait until someone drives me there. Plus I love the new Karmic Koala Ubuntu 9.10. Webcam just works ;)