PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Server install: place 'root' on manually created LVM?

bryces
March 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I'm just trying to install Ubuntu server 9.10 to a logical volume manager partition.
I have two physical disks of 250GB - each has a 10GB primary partition and 240GB logical partition for LVM

I created partions using 'manual partitioning'.
It shows:

LVM VG grpA 240GB
LVM VG grpB 240GB

SCSI1 (sda) 250GB
#5 logical 240GB K lvm
#1 primary 10GB F ext2 /boot
SCSI2 (sdb0 250GB
#1 primary 10GB F swap swap
#5 logical 240GB K lvm

I want '/' (i.e root) to be on a logical volume in the lvm 'grpA' (on disk sda).

But the installer does not offer creation of Logical Volumes or their format - only seems to go as low as volume group. If I try continuing installer complains that 'no root file system is defined'.

Does anyone know how I create the LV and install with root there?

(On another machine with 9.04 I used the guided partitioning with use entire disk and lvm - that just worked putting root in the lvm... but this current machine needs a specific layout).

Thanks,
Bryce Stenberg.

Herman
March 11th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hard Drive Encryption in My Ubuntu Installation (http://kuparinen.org/martti/comp/ubuntu/en/cryptolvm.html) - Martti Kuparinen

I think the information you want can be found in the web page linked above, or at least you might get enough clues from it to help you figure it out.

bryces
March 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
thanks Herman.

I followed through the description but my install does not allow this step "After creating the LVs I had three new entries in the disk partitioner (picture 17). I set the file system type for each so that the "root" LV is ext3 mounted on /, the "swap" LV is swap and the "home" LV is ext3 mounted on /home". There is no way that I can see to configure the file system for the LV's - if I pick a LV with the aim of specifying file system I'm told no modifications can be made as it is a member of LVM group, so I can get picture 17 but can't get to the picture 18 setup. I can't see anyway to achieve my goal from in the manual partitioner.

The article does mention it used the 'alternate install CD" but I can't find that for server edition - possibly it's installer is a bit different?

Maybe I'll try booting a live CD and see if I can make changes to LVM file systems from there...

Regards, Bryce.

bryces
March 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Further to my last reply - I dropped to command line and formatted my logical volumes to ext3.

But I still can't continue with install due to the 'no root file system is defined' error. Is there a command to run or file to edit that can tell the installer to now put the root file system on /dev/sda5 (the logical volume I just formatted) since it isn't handled by the installer?

Regards, Bryce.

bryces
March 12th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I went and had a harder poke at everything and finally found it - - the line it was done from I just thought was some informational text - turned out to be modifiable. In case anyone else ever runs into this, the option was under the LVM grouping at top (above list of disks) - the first line in the next page, I think it said something about not in use, can be changed to set everything needed. Thanks for all the help.

-bryce.