PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Engineers

SuperMiguel
March 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Any Electrical Engineers or EE student using ubuntu? and why? Thanks

quadproc
March 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I began using Ubuntu last fall and I like it very much.

Here is a short list of the reasons why:

It is created and maintained by honorable people.
Open source means that when I want to figure out what it is doing, I can.
Every significant application runs on Ubuntu (I know, this will probably attract heat, but it is true in my case)
It is reliable.
It is customizable.
It is supported by a huge number of people.
The help system works pretty darn well.
Its resource usage is low compared to some other systems.
It doesn't do a lot of undocumented things behind my back.
There are no hidden files.
There is no collection of thousands of global variables (the registry).
It is mostly immune to viruses.

I am sure that I could think of lots more but this will give you an idea of why I like it.

quadproc

bkratz
March 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Mine's shorter--I like it

SuperMiguel
March 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
im an EE student right now and all the labs at my university are in windows, im guessing on yours too.. How are you guys affected by this since you are using ubuntu on your main system?

bkratz
March 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Not in school anymore, barely remember how to spell it! Use Windows at work, Ubuntu at home.

era86
March 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Well.. Ubuntu wasn't an option in school because we were working with AVR Atmel and Xilinx tools which didn't have any Linux support at all. Those tools were essential for classes.

I wonder if any of them got ported or are now supported in Linux?

SuperMiguel
March 11th, 2010, 02:10 AM
yes you can flash avr chips in ubuntu

overdrank
March 11th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe

wirepuller134
March 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Another one here, because we like it and it simply does what we need it to do. We do still use Windows XP Pro for certain applications, and am attempting to use Windows 7 but Rockwell doesn't support it very well yet.

SuperMiguel
March 11th, 2010, 04:00 AM
i wonder if most the engineers applications are made for windows... is it even worth it to learn/use linux?

Kdar
March 11th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I am EE major and also use Linux, on all my systems at home. In school I have (forced?) to use Windows (haha but I bring my portable Firefox/Opera, Open Office and Gimp with me, always :) ).

I like it because it is open-source, because of communities like we have here, on this forum, who are always ready to help, and for nothing, just for the reason of helping. Community is probably the biggest feature of Linux.. We all can use all soft of distributions, but in the end we use the same thing, speak the same OS language.

I also feel that I can run everything on my Linux now (natively or by Wine, I could use Virtual box from time to time, but lately I didn't).
Of course, before I didn't feel this way (about able to run everything on Linux), but now I feel very comfortable.

I never used any software for electrical engineering on this computer yet. I also would like to know what other engineers are using on Linux (engineering related software).

i wonder if most the engineers applications are made for windows... is it even worth it to learn how to use windows?
It would be just worth to learn how to use the application. What is there to learn a windows for? Its not like you are doing some kind of development for Windows environment.

standingwave
March 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Any Electrical Engineers or EE student using ubuntu? and why? ThanksWell, when I was an EE student we used punch cards, so... no.

Linsmith (http://jcoppens.com/soft/linsmith/index.en.php) is a pretty nifty Smith Chart utility BTW.

SuperMiguel
March 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM
It would be just worth to learn how to use the application. What is there to learn a windows for? Its not like you are doing some kind of development for Windows environment.

Sorry had a typo in the question

jordanp123
March 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I use GEDA sometimes (http://www.gpleda.org/), on ubuntu. Usually though i have to reboot into windows and use Pspice for most of my needs. But GEDA is getting there, its just not there quite yet.