PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Media Player/Organizer for Gnome?

Crowder
March 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I set up this poll because I want to know what the favorites are AS OF TODAY. Yes, I know it's probably been done a thousand times already (just trying to avoid the inevitable links to other threads and scolding :-P).

IMHO, Listen is best, even better than amarok. It's still new and a bit buggy, but I love it. What about you? Get your vote in!

EDIT:
There seems to be some confusion here. A lot of people are citing things like MPlayer as favorites, but I really meant the best "media center" applications (organizer, etc.). I generally meant applications that have a "library" - or even more generally, the heavyweights, the memory hogs. I like 'em that way.
Anyway this is why the poll only includes things like rhythmbox and amarok as opposed to MPlayer or Totem. I probably shouldn't have included vlc. Oops.

koleoptero
March 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I smell recurring :P

cmus.

Tibuda
March 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
MPD/Sonata

kellemes
March 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Jajuk

tuddy666
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm actually a fan of rhythmbox. It's the default player, it does the job well (it plays my music library, scrobbles to last.fm and even syncs with my iPod) and it looks pretty nice, too.

graabein
March 10th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I use Quod Libet (http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/) for music and VLC for video. Well basically I stream video from my box through Mediatomb and a PS3 on the telly. Wish there was a better DLNA/UPnP server with transcoding and subtitles included with the next Ubuntu...

And I wish Quod Libet was even faster. My large music library is on different directories and start up with refresh/scanning takes too long. That might be a bug. Hopefully it is fixed in the version shipping with Ubuntu 10.04.

Gonna look into MPD/Sonata some day!

ankspo71
March 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I just downloaded and installed a media center called XBMC on my Lucid (testing) machine. I like it so far... and it has weather and lastfm song submission too. It took about 45 minutes to compile from source...it's a biggie!

Other than liking a 'media center', my favorite audio video/player for audio is Banshee and for video I like VLC .

corney91
March 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
MPD/ncmpcpp or MPD/gmpc.
Failing that, Rhythmbox or gmusicbrowser. However, Guayadeque and Listen are also awesome, plus VLC is generally handy to have installed, I find :)

Crowder
March 11th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm actually a fan of rhythmbox. It's the default player, it does the job well (it plays my music library, scrobbles to last.fm and even syncs with my iPod) and it looks pretty nice, too.

Rhythmbox is great for people who like iTunes-style media players, but I very much prefer to create playlists on the fly (the "queue" format is more compatible with my listening habits)... not a fan of the whole play-whatever-comes-next-in-the-alphabet functionality.

Crowder
March 11th, 2010, 01:46 AM
MPD/ncmpcpp or MPD/gmpc.
Failing that, Rhythmbox or gmusicbrowser. However, Guayadeque and Listen are also awesome, plus VLC is generally handy to have installed, I find :)

I'm not familiar with MPD or Guayadeque but otherwise I agree. VLC is great if you use firefox, as it integrates well, and as a general media player (to use out of your file browser, for example). However, I would never use it for extended listening.

dragos240
March 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Totem, mplayer or moc.

Crowder
March 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I just downloaded and installed a media center called XBMC on my Lucid (testing) machine. I like it so far... and it has weather and lastfm song submission too. It took about 45 minutes to compile from source...it's a biggie!

Other than liking a 'media center', my favorite audio video/player for audio is Banshee and for video I like VLC .

... it has "Weather" ???

ctrlmd
March 11th, 2010, 02:50 AM
always Banshee

Madspyman
March 11th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Rhythmbox works without being visually overloaded, it's both a pro and a con.

DubyBreaks
March 11th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Guayadeque is deffinitely my new favorite. Very customizable, handles large collections easily, and is very lightweight.

cariboo
March 11th, 2010, 06:29 AM
... it has "Weather" ???

Try XBMC Live (http://xbmc.org/download/), I installed it a couple of weeks ago, it loads right to the interface with no DE. Yes it does have weather, plus a lot more.

gnomeuser
March 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
always Banshee

I concure with this fine gentleman

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I use Rhythmbox. Similar programs always have more junk that I do not need. Banshee is cool as well, I started to recommend that since I tried OpenSUSE 10.3 back in the day.

Crowder
March 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Just tried guayadeck, and I'm less than enthused about it... it's a little too lightweight. It's fugly, and while all the functionality I want seems to be there, none of it is really working properly.

But there are a few things to consider here:

- I downloaded the latest version and I'm currently running the alpha of lucid.
- I tend to dislike the lightweight players. Say what you want, it's a matter of preference.

anonbeat
March 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Just tried guayadeck, and I'm less than enthused about it... it's a little too lightweight. It's fugly, and while all the functionality I want seems to be there, none of it is really working properly.

But there are a few things to consider here:

- I downloaded the latest version and I'm currently running the alpha of lucid.
- I tend to dislike the lightweight players. Say what you want, it's a matter of preference.

PLease tell me anything that is not working properly in it but do it here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811)

Thanks

Crowder
March 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Will do.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
March 13th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I concure with this fine gentleman

+1 Banshee.

DoktorSeven
March 13th, 2010, 01:52 AM
cmus for music, mplayer for video.

Enigmapond
March 13th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Well...I'm in a quandary. Normally there would be no question and Banshee would win hands down...HOWEVER, currently, my Banshee it broken after an update, so while it's still Banshee...I'm having to suffice with Rhythmbox...much to my chagrin. ](*,)

_h_
March 13th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I don't have music on my hard drive, so I use Audacious2 to listen to Shoutcast internet radio.

And I use VLC to watch DVD and other video media.

Uncle Spellbinder
March 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I smell recurring :P
Surprised it's not been moved yet. If ever there was a topic that seems to come up far too often, this is it.

AllenGG
March 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Uncle Fester makes a good point, but the problem is that some whizz kids keep changing (for the sake of change?)
Amarok is the best example, it was even dropped from the roster on Gnome for a short time.
Try Amar-rocks ! today. If it takes more than 10 minutes to set it up, pass !!!! And where the hell is the Equalizer ????

:confused:

Allen :cool:

Sporkman
March 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Subsonic

Crowder
March 14th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Surprised it's not been moved yet. If ever there was a topic that seems to come up far too often, this is it.

Oh come on, I said even from the beginning that I wanted to start a new one with a poll to see where people currently stand and to have some up to date opinions - why should this not be recurring? If it bothers you so much, just ignore the thread.

I hate it how on every forum people seem to get so much satisfaction out of subjecting others to the strictest possible interpretation of the rules. So far, ubuntu forums has been great in this regard, it's the most polite, well-mannered forum I've ever seen. There aren't any flame wars, and people don't generally hate on the newbies, which is great. And usually there aren't even many people that are posting nonsense just for the beans, which is also great - please, don't be the exception.

If this is really that big of a problem for everyone, I'm sure a moderator will move it. Until then, I see no reason why your criticism is needed.

Crowder
March 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Uncle Fester makes a good point, but the problem is that some whizz kids keep changing (for the sake of change?)
Amarok is the best example, it was even dropped from the roster on Gnome for a short time.
Try Amar-rocks ! today. If it takes more than 10 minutes to set it up, pass !!!! And where the hell is the Equalizer ????

:confused:

Allen :cool:

Seriously, I think we can all agree that Amarok 2 was one step forward and two backward. The equalizer was supposed to appear a long time ago. And the interface just basically sucks. I'm liking Listen because it's similar to amarok, but without all those new, useless bells and whistles and with a lot of the old features that were phased out (for whatever reason). But even though I like Listen, I wanted to get some other ideas from you guys, maybe of things that aren't in the main repositories. Guayadeque is promising, but I'm not really a fan yet. As you can see, no one seems to agree with me about Listen. I'm not sure why. I just love it, and especially the queue, just like in amarok.

docus
March 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Quod Libet is the most customisable one I've used, but that does mean it needs tweaking to get the best out of it. It's fast and stable too. Very recommended.

RabbitWho
March 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Why only three of us for listen?

DownTown22
March 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Banshee. I used to use Rhythmbox but for some reason it had huge troubles reading tags...so did Exaile, actually. As for video..nothing but VLC.

And I'm currently torn between XBMC and Boxee for me media PC.

ssj6akshat
March 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Guayadeque

temenex
March 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Only Songbird. :D

sujoy
March 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
mpd + mpc + ncmpcpp
manages all my music.

for everything else, theres mplayer :)

Crowder
March 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Only Songbird. :D

I guess you've got more RAM than you know what to do with... but don't worry, this'll leak PLENTY! :-D

Crowder
March 15th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Seriously, it makes me sad. Part of why I started the thread was to spread the word, because I think it's great. :(

NightwishFan
March 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I might give listen a go, I am thinking of adopting XFCE as my desktop of choice. I am just worried that development will cease on some of the projects I like.

Crowder
March 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I like it, it basically inhabits the space between amarok and rhythmbox in terms of functionality

DownTown22
March 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Maybe it's a sign...