Hello,

I want to use the following code:

class Test(tuple):
def __new__(self, n=None, k=None, d=None):
# t = do some processing...
return tuple.__new__(self,t)

def __call__(self, c):
return c*2

This works as expected, I can create a tuple and call it.

For better readability I would like to use a namedtuple, but here I fail.

I found one method on the python.org site, which is callable, but I don't manage to define __new__ to be able to make some input processing.

class Point(collections.namedtuple('Point', 'x y')):
def __call__(self,x):
return x*2

I tried around and managed to "inherit" a namedtuple using the __new__ method:

class Test(tuple):

cpara = collections.namedtuple('Foo', 'n, k, d')
# t = some processing...
return cpara._make(t)

def __call__(self, c):
c*2

Well, here I get the namedtuple I would like to have, but the object is not callable...

Does anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Regards,
CHW

nvteighen
March 10th, 2010, 09:57 PM
What are you trying to do, exactly? __new__ shouldn't ever be touched... and __call__ is used for enabling the object to be called as a function (syntactically, i.e. as "blah(something)").

Inheritance should work by just using __init__ (and calling the super class's __init__ to initialize its variables), nothing else. And if you want to have this new type make something, create a method, don't touch __call__ unless you really want to create something callable (which is pretty strange...).

CHW
March 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
After some more thinking I found a solution. It's more or less that what I wanted:

class Foo(collections.namedtuple('Foo', 'x y z')):
pass

class FooTest(Foo):
# do some processing...
return Foo.__new__(self,n,k,d)

def __call__(self, c):
return c*2

What are you trying to do, exactly? __new__ shouldn't ever be touched... and __call__ is used for enabling the object to be called as a function (syntactically, i.e. as "blah(something)").

Inheritance should work by just using __init__ (and calling the super class's __init__ to initialize its variables), nothing else. And if you want to have this new type make something, create a method, don't touch __call__ unless you really want to create something callable (which is pretty strange...).

Yes, I want to create a callable container of type namedtuple.

It may look strange, but in a first prototype of my module I had two separate classes, a callable and a container class, but it makes sense for me to merge them.

I have also good reasons for using __new__, for example if you would like to create the class of integers modulo p it makes also sense to use __new__:

class Intmod(int):
def __new__(self,i,p):
return int.__new__(self,i%p)

scott.enderle
January 23rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
What are you trying to do, exactly? __new__ shouldn't ever be touched...

This is a stale thread but I have to correct this!

How could you subclass a tuple without touching __new__? Tuples are immutable -- can't be changed once they're created. __init__ can't do anything to a tuple once created.