PDA

View Full Version : Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal

ukripper
March 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry if posted before - http://jonathanischwartz.wordpress.com/

Views by ex-CEO of SUN

In 2003, after I unveiled a prototype Linux desktop called Project Looking Glass*, Steve called my office to let me know the graphical effects were “stepping all over Apple’s IP.” (IP = Intellectual Property = patents, trademarks and copyrights.) If we moved forward to commercialize it, “I’ll just sue you.”

My response was simple. “Steve, I was just watching your last presentation, and Keynote looks identical to Concurrence – do you own that IP?” Concurrence was a presentation product built by Lighthouse Design, a company I’d help to found and which Sun acquired in 1996. Lighthouse built applications for NeXTSTEP, the Unix based operating system whose core would become the foundation for all Mac products after Apple acquired NeXT in 1996. Steve had used Concurrence for years, and as Apple built their own presentation tool, it was obvious where they’d found inspiration. “And last I checked, MacOS is now built on Unix. I think Sun has a few OS patents, too.” Steve was silent.

As we sat down in our Menlo Park conference room, Bill skipped the small talk, and went straight to the point, “Microsoft owns the office productivity market, and our patents read all over OpenOffice.” OpenOffice is a free office productivity suite found on tens of millions of desktops worldwide. It’s a tremendous brand ambassador for its owner – it also limits the appeal of Microsoft Office to businesses and those forced to pirate it. Bill was delivering a slightly more sophisticated variant of the threat Steve had made, but he had a different solution in mind. “We’re happy to get you under license.” That was code for “We’ll go away if you pay us a royalty for every download” – the digital version of a protection racket.

Royalty bearing free software? Jumbo shrimp. (Oxymoron.)

But fearing this was on the agenda, we were prepared for the meeting. Microsoft is no stranger to imitating successful products, then leveraging their distribution power to eliminate a competitive threat – from tablet computing to search engines, their inspiration is often obvious (I’m trying to like Bing, I really am). So when they created their web application platform, .NET, it was obvious their designers had been staring at Java – which was exactly my retort. “We’ve looked at .NET, and you’re trampling all over a huge number of Java patents. So what will you pay us for every copy of Windows?” Bill explained the software business was all about building variable revenue streams from a fixed engineering cost base, so royalties didn’t fit with their model… which is to say, it was a short meeting.

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Read that.. very awesome!

Downside is to think which of the parties talked about has been sold to Oracle?

Regenweald
March 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Downfall of sun? : Too many engineers, too few greedy lawyers/management.

DeadSuperHero
March 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Heh. Seems like Schwartz is the only person that both Apple and Microsoft have to suddenly pause for a moment and consider what they're doing.

It's a shame Sun ever got bought out. Granted, apparently Solaris development is still going forward, along with OpenOffice. Still, it would've been nice to see the company make it through the recession.

mickie.kext
March 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Downfall of sun? : Too many engineers, too few greedy lawyers/management.
+1

Sad but true. It proves that IT industry does have anything to do with technology anymore.

ukripper
March 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
i personally feel sorry for Sun's demise. That was the only bluechip company I had great respect for. Not foregetting the time when i started with java about 8 years ago, MS and APPLE called java slow as snail and stated it will never succeed, but now looking at how time has even brought MS to accept JAVA principles and made them release .NET and c-sharp (a rip off of java).

Hypocrisy and forgery seems to be the norm in IT now!

Meep3D
March 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM
i personally feel sorry for Sun's demise. That was the only bluechip company I had great respect for. Not foregetting the time when i started with java about 8 years ago, MS and APPLE called java slow as snail and stated it will never succeed, but now looking at how time has even brought MS to accept JAVA principles and made them release .NET and c-sharp (a rip off of java).

Hypocrisy and forgery seems to be the norm in IT now!

Rather than type out a long reply I refer you to:
http://piestar.net/2009/12/07/microsoft-vs-originality/

The entire history of computing is based around building on the ideas of others. Why is Microsoft the only company that is not allowed to do this?

Dragonbite
March 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM

The entire history of computing is based around building on the ideas of others. Why is Microsoft the only company that is not allowed to do this?

Who says they are not allowed to do this? Are you lumping me with everybody else?

I remember asking our IT person "what are these ports on the back of my computer", to which they informed me "USB". So I asked "what's it used for?" and she said "nothing.". A few months later, Apple announces the new iMac with ONLY USB ports! They didn't create it, they just used it.

Google got quick fame with the web trickery using a "new" language; AJAX. Of course AJAX is Javascript and has been around for years right under people's noses, but Google figured out how to USE it!

This "sharing of ideas" has been going on around the world since the dawn of time. The History of Open Source ideals has been around for a long, long time before computers!

The great thing about Open Source is you can share these ideas without worry, without looking over your shoulder and wondering when the Microsoft's, or Apple's or Oracle's or IBM's Lawyers are going to come knocking at your door!

"Ug's wheel copies copies me rolling rocks down the hill!" (thank goodness there were no lawyers or patents back then
:lolflag:

ukripper
March 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM

As a developer's perspective hope that explains you why. http://www.albion.com/microsoft/findings-31.html

mickie.kext
March 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Microsoft is allowed to do that, and they did that pretty shameless. The problem kicks in when Microsoft patents anything and everything in their product (including things they did not invented) and then try to forbid everybody to innovate because they step on their new patents which should not be allowed to be patented in the first place.

ukripper
March 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Microsoft is allowed to do that, and they did that pretty shameless. The problem kicks in when Microsoft patents anything and everything in their product (including things they did not invented) and then try to forbid everybody to innovate because they step on their new patents which should not be allowed to be patented in the first place.

and ofcourse Apple has same game plan....http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-sues-htc-for-infringing-20-iphone-patents/

Only difference is Apple is suing on rather ridiculous patent claims.

mickie.kext
March 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
and ofcourse Apple has same game plan....http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/apple-sues-htc-for-infringing-20-iphone-patents/

Only difference is Apple is suing on rather ridiculous patent claims.

I do not think that there is any difference. I think all patent claims are ridiculous.

hyperAura
March 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Open Source would help super fast evolution but it would also reduce profit of the software giants so i guess we are doomed since there is no way they will allow that...