PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] where does add/remove saves the .deb files

mesbah_1242
March 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
i am using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty. i want to save the .deb files of the applications i have installed. now the synaptic package manager saves the .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives . but where does the add/remove saves the the .deb files? if anyone know please reply.

plucky
March 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
i am using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty. i want to save the .deb files of the applications i have installed. now the synaptic package manager saves the .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives . but where does the add/remove saves the the .deb files? if anyone know please reply.

Same place.

Good Luck

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I,m sure if this is what you want , but I use Dophin File Manager and I select home on the file menu . On the tool bar under view I select show Hidden and this shows file folders for installed programs.

MelDJ
March 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
should be in the same place as both are fronts of apt

mesbah_1242
March 11th, 2010, 08:50 AM
i dont know but my add/remove does not saves .deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives . in there i only find the .deb downloaded by synaptic. any other assumptions......

plucky
March 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
i dont know but my add/remove does not saves .deb packages in /var/cache/apt/archives . in there i only find the .deb downloaded by synaptic. any other assumptions......

Can you give an example of what you installed using Ubuntu Software Centre and why you think it didn't save the .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives?

TeDiouS
March 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
He might mean the Add/Remove, I thought the Software Center came w/ 9.10?

No clue where they are.

And in Nautilus: CTRL+H shows hidden files/folders. And is an option in the menus. Just tick the box.

I would search for the debs with a wild card on root, *.deb root= /.
But that seems too TeDiouS. ;)

mesbah_1242
March 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Can you give an example of what you installed using Ubuntu Software Centre and why you think it didn't save the .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives?

i have installed LYX a front end for latex using add/remove. also have installed vlc using it.
but i don't see any texlive .deb files in my /var/cache/apt/archives directory. i save the markings of synaptic pakage managers into a text files. there are several of pakages which are installed but not saved .deb files where it should save. and i figured that the softwares installed using add/remove have missing .deb files in the /var/cache/apt/archives directory.