PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forums Rebranding?

clanky
March 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Now that Ubuntu is finally ridding itself of the brown and all that was associated with it, can we expect UF to go purple and the return of "Oh My God Purple Ponies"?

OK, maybe not OMGPP, but are there plans for UF to follow the rebranding with a new theme? Will the old theme still be available for the die hard brown fans?

Apologies if this has already been posted, have been away recently.

samh785
March 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I would like to know this as well. :-k

richs-lxh
March 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
See TechnoViking's post in the Ubuntu rebranding thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8911391&postcount=24

forrestcupp
March 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I hope not.

richs-lxh
March 10th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Looking at the extent of the rebranding and the colour scheme, the most that could probably be done on the forum is to change the background brown to "aubergine" and change the logo with the newer font and Ubuntu logo design. So it probably won't be that drastic a change.

Nickedynick
March 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The forums will more than likely go down the orange route more than the purple one. According to Mr Shuttleworth (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308):

For example, we identified a palette which includes both a fresh, lively Orange, and a rich, mature Aubergine, which work together. The use of Aubergine indicates Commercial involvement of one form or another, while Orange is a signal of community engagement. The Forums will use the Orange elements more strongly, and a formal product brochure, with descriptions of supporting services, would use more of the Aubergine.

clanky
March 10th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The forums will more than likely go down the orange route more than the purple one. According to Mr Shuttleworth (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308):

I hope they are careful with that, I can't think of any way to not make an orange theme look awful.

m4tic
March 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
The forums look good how they are, dont change anythin

Merk42
March 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
IF they were to change the forums it would make sense to do it along with the planned (at some point) upgrade to vBulletin 4

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
No firm decisions have been made as to the final look of the Forums. However as Ubuntu Forums are the Official forums then yes rebranding will be done.

clanky
March 10th, 2010, 07:21 PM
No firm decisions have been made as to the final look of the Forums. However as Ubuntu Forums are the Official forums then yes rebranding will be done.

Are there any plans to leave the old theme available for those (not me!) who want it?

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Are there any plans to leave the old theme available for those (not me!) who want it?

That is a good point. There is server load issues to consider but I will put that to the team.

clanky
March 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
That is a good point. There is server load issues to consider but I will put that to the team.

If I remember correctly there was an extra theme added on April fool's day a few years ago (by strange co-incidence it was purple), there may still be some data around on what that did to the server load.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
If I remember correctly there was an extra theme added on April fool's day a few years ago (by strange co-incidence it was purple), there may still be some data around on what that did to the server load.

hmmmm that reminds me