PDA

View Full Version : The Brown - Purple Link

hellomoto
March 10th, 2010, 12:17 PM
So whilst over analysing Ubuntu's new purple identity, I stumbled across a possible link to the "brown - purple" diversification.
Thankfully this link is coherent with my other obsession... chocolate.

Cadbury's the world's second largest confectionery manufacturer, can trace its routes back to 1824 when John Cadbury began vending tea, coffee, and drinking chocolate in Birmingham. More importantly the Cadbury logo and their corporate colour of purple can be traced back to 1905.

So far we have learnt:
1, The Cadbury's brand can be associated with the colour purple.
2, The brand is easily identifiable on an international level.
3, The brand is associated with chocolate, which is obviously brown in colour.
Interesting stuff, I'm sure you will agree.....

Curiosity then, has lead you to read on as to whether there is a connection between the Cadbury "brown - purple" link and the Ubuntu "brown - purple" diversification.

Well undoubtedly the possibility of subliminal stimuli can't be ignored. Were marketing gurus at Canonical cooking up a change of brown to purple knowing that it would create familiarity with the new colour scheme on a subliminal level?

Only time will tell how successful this covert marketing strategy is. Regardless, we can be sure of one thing... Ubuntu has never tasted so good!

DrMelon
March 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Now I want to eat chocolate.
I love Cadbury's. SO MUCH.
Best chocolate ever, shame it just got bought over...

hellomoto
March 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Me too! Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tuddy666
March 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I dunno about any subliminal associations, but I would like a bar of Dairy Milk right now...

Muppeteer
March 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Cadbury's tastes like crap. Everybody knows Lindt is the only chocolate there is...

Interesting theory btw :p

Tristam Green
March 10th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Nobody does Easter like Cadbury Nestlé.

richs-lxh
March 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
The new purple colour is "aubergine", have you got any theories on the ubuntu > vegetable link as well? :)

Mmm. Off to get a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

forrestcupp
March 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
So the truth finally comes out.

The real reason that Mark Shuttleworth steps out of his position is because Cadbury is buying Ubuntu out. Since they are obviously in the business of making money, and they can only sell their Cadbury Eggs once a year, they will switch to the FreeBSD kernel so that they can eventually turn it into a proprietary and commercial OS. So now Ubuntu will end up costing just as much as Windows, it will have a crappy new Cadbury theme, and it won't have near the functionality and compatibility that it does now.

This is 10x worse than the Novell-Microsoft deal. :)

Muppeteer
March 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Dammit, this thread forced me to go buy a huge bag of Cadbury Buttons :P

swoll1980
March 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Spring is coming. That means it's Cadbury Egg time.

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2010, 04:58 AM
It's not brown-and-purple. It's orange and purple. Perth Glory colours. I feel a sports sponsorship deal coming on...

KiwiNZ
March 11th, 2010, 05:04 AM
bah there is only one Chocolate maker

http://www.whittakers.co.nz/default.aspx

chris4585
March 11th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Never even heard of Cadbury til now...

RiceMonster
March 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Never even heard of Cadbury til now...

Seriously?

chris4585