PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMWare Server 2 - Virtual machines responding but not physical host

Exca
March 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Good morning everybody,

I'm looking on several forum for people having the same problem of me, I very feel alone ! lol

I've installed Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS on my new quad-core server (3 Ghz, 5 Go RAM, 1To DD in RAID 1, etc...). I've configured Open SSH on this physical server and installed VMWare Server 2.
I've installed 3 virtual machines on this server, all the machines are responding at ping and I can connect by SSH to them.

I regularly have problem when I'm connected on the physical host machine. SSH connection is ofen refused by the server, and when I can connect on it, less than 5 minutes later the connection doex not respond anymore.
Whereas I cannot connect on the physical host, I can ping it ! And while I can't connect by SSH, any other network protocol isn't responding, VMWare web infrastructure isn't responding also.

My Network controller is a RTL8111, I've downloaded the latest driver and compiled it for my kernel (2.6.24-24-server), but the problem persists.

The most strange thing is that my virtual machine are always responding, even if the host doesn't !

Do someone have encountered the same situation ? Or have some ideas where I can find more information, logs, etc. to diagnostic that problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for my not perfect english ! ;)

Exca.

samosamo
March 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
At first glance it seems like a network issue. Please post your network topology.

Exca
March 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
As I've said, I can connect SHH to my VMs even if I can't connect on my Host (but it's still responds to ping). I do everything from my laptop, on a wired network.

My network looks like that :
http://sychlora.dvrdns.org/images/vmw_vmnet1.png

I've first tried to change sshd priority to with a 'renice -15 ????(pid)', but the SSH cuts persists on the host.

Exca
March 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Hey samosamo, that's it !

The big mistake i've ever made on a network ! lol ](*,)

I had a virtual machine with the same IP address than my host !!!
Now it's ok, no more disconnections !

Thank's !