PDA

View Full Version : question for experianced programmers

XXMy_Little_ShinigamiXX
March 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
thi sis more liek just a question for experienced programmers, but i mean i see the errors in my own programming syntax. when i make a mistake i sometimes take a more logical indepth train of thought to it and figure it out right away, other times it may take a bit. just a question, i mean thinking like a computer scientist is something learned overtime right? reason why ones programming skills tend ot get better overtime right?:popcorn:

crlang13
March 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Although I'm not an "experienced programmer," I do program as a hobby.

I think, yeah, like everything, practice makes perfect. I do programming because I find it helps me with my general problem solving skills, and my programming gets better when I bring problem solving skills from other areas. :p

Some Penguin
March 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
*shrug* It's easier to recognize what works and what doesn't when you've done similar things before, or if you've worked on teams or otherwise gotten good exposure to other peoples' code. Courses help too, of course, to make it easier to see the principles involved, as well as to help you realize particulars such as the implications of various bits of computer architecture.

It's an art and a science. It's an art, in that there's usually more than one way to do it, and you don't necessarily have sufficiently tight criteria for there to actually be an optimal solution, leaving plenty of room for judgment. In a work environment, for instance, you'd be thinking not only about correctness and performance, but also maintainability and the required resources (including human -- engineer time is expensive, for instance, and so might be retraining any support staff). In addition, you often don't have time to rigorously prove to yourself correctness from low level, so developing good internal heuristics to help diagnose the inevitable issues is a good supplement to the unit tests that you should also be writing. But it's also a science, in that there *is* a lot of logic and analysis that one can use when considering given problems, and there are a lot of provable statements out there -- no amount of creativity will make O(2^n) algorithms scale better than O(n^2) algorithms or let you perfectly solve the halting problem, for instance.

XXMy_Little_ShinigamiXX
March 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thats what i think too :) or at least what im counting on lol. thx guys :popcorn:

dwhitney67
March 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Becoming a good programmer takes practice, in the same fashion it takes practice to become a good writer.

The OP should consider augmenting his grammar skills before his programming ones.

hyperAura
March 11th, 2010, 02:24 AM
As it is usually said practice is everything and especially with programming.. Once you understand the programming concepts then you practice to keep them in your head and use them in different ways.. If not then learning them in first place might result just as a waste of time..

Eisenwinter
March 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
The OP should consider augmenting his grammar skills before his programming ones.
I was thinking that as well.